Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: More complexity in battles  (Read 6766 times)

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
Re: More complexity in battles
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 09:13:44 PM »

One idea I had was to have fleet points rise on a timer which is sped up by capturing control points rather than just rising in bulk blocks. This means that the advantage of capturing control points early is still substantial but would not let you instantly steam-roll the opposing fleet and would let them bring in a steady drip of reinforcements too. This is more realistic I feel too as the timer represents the time it takes for your or the enemy's spread out fleet to converge on the battle-field and engage.

With a smaller fleet used effectively you can destroy the enemy piecemeal before he has time to marshal his forces and bring his full strength to bear against you. But if you're not quick enough to destroy the enemy it doesn't matter how many control points you have, eventually the rest of his fleet is going to show up and you're going to be in trouble unless you've already taken care of what he had on the field.

I really like this.
this seems lik a good idea but would require tests to know for sure.

Or better yet that all objectives start as hidden, maybe? That way you also wouldn't know where the enemy fleet was heading (they might have found a different objective cluster).
I personally like this, not to mention it Does make sence. Being cut off from the domain causing chaos means that people may have lost/ forgotten locations.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 09:16:18 PM by ArkAngel »
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

HeliosRX

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 06:58:45 AM »

Right, sorry to kind-of post necro,

But I think that these are spectacular ideas. I've always run mods that increase total available FP so I can get more stuff on without relying on fighting it out with the AI with super-fast skirmishers before I can bring in my destroyers and cruisers without being punished for not capping points. I agree completely that the current capture point system is kind of broken and really doesn't allow any strategy whatsoever, not even on a tactical level, because you're either going to be spread completely over the map and in danger, or pressing the assault up to the top of the battle screen.

I like the idea for increasing battle size and number of possible scenarios, especially the giant asteroids and larger maps - I've always disliked the skirmishing aspect of SS, because it ruins the point of capships. It would also be really cool if you didn't know what benefits a capture point gave until you were close to it - and maybe even make them destroyable!

johngalt

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 06:04:27 PM »

Do the developers have contact with the forum community at all?

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 07:15:56 PM »

Yes.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 10:24:33 PM »

Do the developers have contact with the forum community at all?

A lot.  And it isn't just whole bunch of "thanks for your feed back blah blah blah", it's an actual response with ongoing discussion.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=5425.15

A sample of developer (Alex) diving straight into a discussion and explaining his reasons for his decisions.
Pages: 1 [2]