Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: A Few Starfarer Dev Questions...  (Read 35392 times)

Kiryuu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: A Few Starfarer Dev Questions...
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 08:19:18 PM »

Sure count me in (as far as english ---> german ), what we really need is a spanish, portugese and russian speaking guy or gal, there is a huge spanish, portugese and russian speaking internet out there.

i can do that, i live in a spanish speaking island of the United States, doing translations is a common thing for me (i used to work as a tour guide) so i wouldnt mind, ill do need a bit of time since im not that acquainted with the lore or the most reasonable translations for some words (spanish is a HUGE languange, several words can have the same meaning, and one word can have multiple meanings, and i do not tend to read spanish novels so my spanish vocabulary in Sci-fi themes is a bit lacking)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2013, 10:39:01 AM »

Well I have a question. What's an average work day of a starsector dev? Just coding? Or thinking about what to add and change/balance? Just curious, definately not trying to creep on our developer ;)

Well, things change quite a bit from day to day. For example, for a week or two after a release, a lot of my time is spent answering emails, PMs, and forum posts, as well as fixing bugs. In the first week after a release, I generally don't get much done beyond that. The last few days were more fun than usual due to getting some tax stuff together.

The rest of the available time is split between design and coding - these are pretty well intertwined. Sometimes I'll take maybe half a week or so to lay some stuff out for a detailed short-term roadmap, but invariably, things change during implementation, once you see how something *really* works.

Oh, and my day wouldn't be complete if I didn't get to look up a lost activation code for at least one person. Before putting the "key recovery" link on the main page, that number was 3-5 per day. Not that I'm complaining :)

Will there be some kind of localizations for different languages?

Maybe, leaning slightly towards "no". Definitely not any time soon. Adding localization adds a lot of work to everything (i.e., can't just change text at will anymore), and requires a lot of UI work and testing, too - to make sure everything fits right - for example, German has some fairly lengthy words, as you're probably aware :)

What if fans were willing to do it for you? While I'm no professional translator, I grew up speaking both English and German, and I translate a lot of stuff for myself and my friends. All I'd need is some way to access the lines (a file that contains them all, if that exists). Whenever you change text, just give me a holler and I'll translate it. UI testing could be done by more fans, and I'll promise to use short words when possible. :p

Thank you, I appreciate your willingness to help - but unfortunately, that really doesn't change the equation very much. First of all, it just wouldn't feel right *not* going with a professional translator's services. Also, that's only a part of the effort - as I think I pointed out earlier, maintaining the translations going forward would be quite an effort, and setting it up so that everything that needs to be translated can be is not negligible, either.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2013, 11:54:31 AM »

the mysterious Alex gives insight into his life  :o

RSS_Ornel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 04:49:23 PM »

Sure count me in (as far as english ---> german ), what we really need is a spanish, portugese and russian speaking guy or gal, there is a huge spanish, portugese and russian speaking internet out there.
I can speak Russian pretty well but if this happens i don't know when i could find the time. but if it is ok with the legal shenanigans this would be an amazing project.
 (?????? ??? ??? ????? ?? ?????? ?????????????)
edit: apparently no Cyrillic support on the forum. OK then.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 12:06:10 PM by RSS_Ornel »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013, 03:43:33 AM »

I searched around a bit and analyzed the Chinese fan translation of the game. Conclusion: A complete translation is not possible without heavy intrusion on obfuscated code, which a) would drift into the area of illegality (for distribution) and b) is beyond my abilities. An incomplete translation is technically easy, but at least for me not worthwhile.
So, I'm afraid the project is not feasible atm.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 07:17:58 AM »

For Alex, David and Ivaylo

Is making Starsector your full jobs? Or do you guys have some jobs on the side?

sdmike1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2013, 07:25:30 AM »

Alex - yes
David - no, he works for the people behind dungeons of dreadmore full time as well
Ivaylo - I have ablsolutly no idea :P

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2013, 10:15:41 AM »

I'm one of the three founding partners at Gaslamp Games and work there full time as art director.

I work for Alex as a freelancer on the side, on Starsector for ... jeez, over 2 and a half years, and I did some freelance work for Alex on an iphone game he made (oh yes, this exists!) a year or so before that, if I recall correctly.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2013, 10:20:30 AM »

...for Alex on an iphone game he made (oh yes, this exists!) a year or so before that, if I recall correctly.
What game?  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Gabriel_Braun

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2013, 05:21:57 AM »

Hey guys, I've copied half of this over from discussion as gothars said it would be better off here :)

We've finally gotten started on our university assignment for obj prog/design and was wondering if you could answer a few questions we have now that you are where you are in the development of StarSector that we might use for discussion?  Also, the others on the team are most welcome to share their own experience and thoughts if they wish to do so?   Anyway, will just post these up:

1.) Roughly how much time passed between your decision to develop a game title and actually laying groundwork?

2.) Did you know at the beginning of the project that you were creating a space 4x/RTT?

3.) What was the first phase of your project, did you draw structure diagrams and charts or have another method of planning?

4.) Did you start main coding with blueprints of the main components (such as sound handling, inventory calls, update cycles and other methods) or did you implement these at a later stage?

5.) What helped your final decision to favor top-down 2D-sprites instead of say a 'rendered 1px high 3D-sprite analogue' that might have offered greater scope of rendering and post-processing effects for little extra overhead?

6.) If you were at the beginning of your planning/development cycle again, would you use kickstarter/desura to generate interest and funding during development?

7.) follow-on of above, would you lock availability until beta following the initial KS/Desura offering ended as Dan did with Stardrive

sdmike1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2013, 07:32:16 AM »

...for Alex on an iphone game he made (oh yes, this exists!) a year or so before that, if I recall correctly.
What game?  ;D
Yes indeed what game, we must provide more revenue for the devs!

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2013, 10:45:17 AM »

Angry Hounds? ;D

Gabriel_Braun

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2013, 09:02:17 AM »

No reply?  Kitty is sad  :(

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2013, 09:50:08 AM »

I'll answer what I can.

5.) What helped your final decision to favor top-down 2D-sprites instead of say a 'rendered 1px high 3D-sprite analogue' that might have offered greater scope of rendering and post-processing effects for little extra overhead?

6.) If you were at the beginning of your planning/development cycle again, would you use kickstarter/desura to generate interest and funding during development?

7.) follow-on of above, would you lock availability until beta following the initial KS/Desura offering ended as Dan did with Stardrive

5. These sprites are textures rendered via OpenGL, so they can indeed do some post-processing and rendering effects. Not sure what you mean by '1px high 3D-sprite analogue'. As for why sprites rather than 3d, well: I'm a 2d artist and don't do 3d. It looks good and it's relatively cheap from every perspective.

6. I'll answer this as a game developer generally, apart from Starsector, which only Alex can comment on from a business development perspective.

Kickstarter: I'm pretty uncomfortable with it. Reasons:

- They take a big cut. That sucks. If I was to do a Kickstarter-style campaign I'd rather do what Introversion did and host it myself so I could control the money and the terms. (This requires having already established a reputation of course, but I've got that luxury to some extent.)

- The focus on hyping and selling the idea rather than making the product is a distraction from what the project should be about: Making Something. This also tends to discredit the whole arrangement because you get charming salesmen successfully launching products rather than competent developers. Anyone who hasn't shipped a project will absolutely underestimate what is required. Every time, without fail. Alex is doing pretty well here because 1. he was a Real Software Developer before Starsector and 2. he hasn't promised any deadlines (which KS would require) and therefore can officially ship when he is actually happy with the end product rather than before, and 3. I can't really imagine Alex trying to play the salesman; he's simply not the sort of guy who hypes stuff up unless he can but absolutely sure he can deliver.

- The focus on silly 'rewards' is a huge time-waster and distraction from the product itself (though an admittedly clever way to enabled people with a lot of extra money to throw it at a project that tickles their fancy). Everyone always underestimates how much work and cost physical merchandise is; I know I did for Dredmor merch and it wasn't worth it from a purely financial perspective - it was cool to give something to the fans though, and we only did it *after* we shipped the game and therefore had some time.
To go on with this point, word on the grapevine is that the FTL guys had to put in a ton of overtime on producing merch which took away from game development. Just more costs and time-sinks.

So in the end you've got to put at least half of the money you got from Kickstarter back into Kickstarter and on merch -- and waste valuable development the time on merch while trying to hit your deadline which is almost certainly set too soon. I mean, yeah, it's good to get a pile of money, but it's at a huge cost, especially to inexperienced devs. Therefore: extremely skeptical.

We developed Dredmor at Gaslamp by being extremely poor for years while working on the game, then launching it. It was actually a pretty awful experience in most ways (stressing over making rent, buying bags of potatoes, rice, and lentils to live on, etc.) so I can't recommend that either. Possibly Kickstarter would be the way to go, but I don't think we would have been able to succeed at a Kickstarter if it had been around in 2008.

As for Desura, for all the good feelings it evokes, I suspect - but am not sure - that no one actually gets a lot of money from it. I would suggest trying to find some hard numbers before considering it a viable method of fundraising.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2013, 10:54:02 AM »

Just to comment on Kickstarter: my opinion pretty much mirrors David's, so I won't rehash his points. I do have a few things I'd like to add, though.

To have a successful campaign at the beginning of a project's lifecycle, you'd likely have to promise lots of things you can't be sure of (both features and timelines included), and aside from being morally questionable, it creates a lot of pressure. I'd rather feel like I have a free hand and the time to do things right. A project that's farther along could do better here, though.

Never mind how much effort a successful campaign actually is - and how you'll get the stigma of failure attached to your project if you happen to miss your target even by a cent.

Also, at the risk of sounding like the kind of person that calls themselves an artiste (gah!), I have a visceral, negative reaction to the "add something to the game" reward tiers - I think it compromises the game's integrity. Suggestions? Great. Being paid to let someone who's otherwise not part of the creative process design a room in a dungeon / a ship / an NPC? No. Just no. But without that, I think you'd be hard-pressed to run a competitive Kickstarter campaign. I appreciate that some projects need to do this to get off the ground or cross the finish line - it's just not something I'd want to do as anything but a last resort.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6