Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What drew you to this game?  (Read 13773 times)

KEreversal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
sigh
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 08:13:09 PM »

Because this is the exact game that me and my friend were going to develop, a semi-realistic space shooter, with arcadey elements.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
Re: What drew you to this game?
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 12:28:58 AM »

Was looking through the new games to be released in 2012 at my favourite gamer`s site (Advanced Gamer) and found SF there. Was interested in 2D game being a fan of StarCons, Orions 2, Distant and Weird world games.

But the main reason is its modding possibilities. And... i was very surprised to see such a playable alpha that on its own is already a nice game!

DoctorDevice

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 10:11:50 AM »

The fact that is sounds like it will be Mount And Blade but in space. Because M&B is AWESOME.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 02:20:48 PM »

I really really enjoy SPAZ. But starfarer promises to be the game that I wanted from SPAZ.  :)  Granted I will play both since they have lots of fun differences, but that's what drew me in. The promise of being the game that I would make if I could, haha.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 09:20:08 PM »

It's basically the game I've always wanted to play.  Just seems to nail everything really well, the creator really has a great vision here.  Trying to explain it more than that would probably lead to a huge post that no one would want to read.

Sinshine

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 06:40:23 AM »

Hello Starfarer's

Brand new to the game, and to say I am impressed is a understatement.  Like many others I found out about SF through TB,  and so glad i did.... now off to learn to play :)

Surdus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 07:04:52 AM »

Totalbiscuit sub have shown me many great g.. money sinks  :)

Sinloth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 01:24:13 PM »

I just grabbed it today. I'm a big fan of 2D space combat, including AI War and SPAZ and SC2 and Space Rangers. But the most trivial thing really attracted me to this game when I was watching WTF is Starfarer. It wasn't the combat (which is quite cool- really looking forward to seeing what you guys do with it.) It wasn't the tactical map, which I find very useful and easy to navigate (much easier than TB made it out to be.) It wasn't the promise of all the sandbox-y things.

It was the stupidest thing- when I saw the combat video, when a ship's shields were down, and its hull was being struck, the hull became heated and melted. I mean, it's such a small aesthetic detail in the grand scheme of things. But I realized that the developers actually cared about these effects. When you hear simulationists complain about the "hit point paradigm," and the critical existence failure trope, this is part of the solution. Small details that actually show impact and effect. Anyways, I thought it was cool. What do you guys like about this game so far?

I'd just like to point out that if by SC2 you mean StarCraft 2, it's by no means 2D space combat game :D

Other than that... Well, I got to Starfarer via TotalBiscuit's WTF video, which I watched because I had just started playing SPAZ a few weeks before the video came out. When I checked the Starfarer site and saw those freaking amazing starships, I already knew I had to have the game no matter the costs :D

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 01:59:05 PM »

I'd just like to point out that if by SC2 you mean StarCraft 2, it's by no means 2D space combat game :D

I'm betting he meant Star Control 2   :D
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 02:23:55 PM »

Which if you haven't played you MUST! It's amazing.
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/ (Ur-quan masters = same thing)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Sinloth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 10:33:47 PM »

Oh dang, way too many games with the same acronyms it seems :D I appologize for my uneducated guess! And gotta check out this Star Control 2 if you guys insist ;D

BeanusMaximus

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2012, 02:35:48 AM »

Which if you haven't played you MUST! It's amazing.
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/ (Ur-quan masters = same thing)
Never heard of star control 2 before o.o what's it like? and what can you do?
RAWR (dunno why I did that)

Feel free to follow me on twitter >:D https://twitter.com/#!/TOBeanus

Other than that I have a dream, that dream is to dream of dreaming of dreams.

Const

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2012, 02:43:44 AM »

the premise of a 2d X3: TC :P

other than that, I was a big fan of Battleships Forever, same 2d-topdown starship game but it let you make your own ships.

link to my album: http://imgur.com/a/DpxTE#0

it's kinda like a LEGO 2d space rts

Also, I like the fact that Starfarer is somewhat like a Space Admiral sim where you don't need to micro every single ship apart from your own

BeanusMaximus

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2012, 03:00:18 AM »

the premise of a 2d X3: TC :P

other than that, I was a big fan of Battleships Forever, same 2d-topdown starship game but it let you make your own ships.

link to my album: http://imgur.com/a/DpxTE#0

it's kinda like a LEGO 2d space rts

Also, I like the fact that Starfarer is somewhat like a Space Admiral sim where you don't need to micro every single ship apart from your own
That looks epic haha
RAWR (dunno why I did that)

Feel free to follow me on twitter >:D https://twitter.com/#!/TOBeanus

Other than that I have a dream, that dream is to dream of dreaming of dreams.

Pixelchaser

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 12:31:26 PM »

the general surge in 2d space games is fantastic. Stardrive anyone?. yet another, a 4x styled, 2D topdown space thing \o/ also alpha funded.

Pages: 1 [2] 3