Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [Feature request] Ability to set OP cost on a per ship Basis  (Read 3144 times)

Pithlit

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[Feature request] Ability to set OP cost on a per ship Basis
« on: December 07, 2012, 08:19:24 AM »

I think it would be a really good thing for modders and the game itself for a value in the ship_data.csv that allows the modification of Ordenance Point cost on installed Weapons and Hull modifications on a per ship basis.
The general gist behind this would work akin to the current lvl 10 weapons skill that makes the refit of weapos cheaper OP wise, but would only work on the ship specified.

The Reason behind this:
There might be Ship hulls that are just built to accommodate weapon systems easier (less op cost for weapons) or maybe a special hull that is an engineers dream and very easily modified (less OP cost for hull modifications)  or maybe (like me) you are making a mod with a very powerful faction but still want to balance it against vanilla, with weapons you can always bump up the OP cost of your new weapons to match their power, meaning that your matching ships also need more OP to be able to equip them,  but then the OP cost of hull modifiactions (if the player manages to capture one of these ships) is just negligible because the value is fixed on the hull size.

Now for the Juicy part, how to implement this.

I propose an extra 2 columns in the ship_data.csv to make this possible that the engine reads when calculate these values.
The first would be "Weapon OP cost modifier" and the value could look akin to something like that (x/0/0/0)
the x would be an integer value 0/1 if the following values would be taken additive or multiplicative.
The other three values would represent the three size types of weapons as with the current skill.

Example:  (0/1/-1/-2)  would mean additive values, small weapons cost one more OP to mount, medium ones one less and large ones two less (in additive mode values can be both positive and negative)
Example 2: (1/1/0.5/1.5) would mean multiplicative values, small weapons use normal OP to fit, medium ones are only 50% of the original cost but large ones will cost you 150% of the OP value  (in multiplicative mode only positive values are recognized)

The second column would be the "HullMod OP cost modificator" and work the same way only that it would only need the values for additive/multiplicative mode and the modifier value (0/-2)  for example to make all Hull mods 2 OP cheaper to install.
The new cost value would then be calculated with the ships hull size and the modifiers applied to make mods cheaper or more expensive to install.

I really hope that this would not be to hard to implement, i don´t know much about coding but in my mind it seems like a pretty straightforward, easy to use way to handle this kind of thing.
I also think that this would open up quite a few avenues for modders aswell as the possibility to give vanilla hulls a bit more flavour (just like the implementation of integrated systems or hard mounted weapons did)

Really hope that i can get some good support for this :)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
Re: [Feature request] Ability to set OP cost on a per ship Basis
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 08:20:10 AM »

Should be moved to suggestions :)
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Pithlit

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 02:47:40 PM »

seems like a good idea, since it doesn´t seem to get much attention in this part of the forum, any way i can do that?

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 03:38:10 PM »

seems like a good idea, since it doesn´t seem to get much attention in this part of the forum, any way i can do that?
Pm Alex or another moderator :)
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 03:45:16 PM »

If people like the idea: post it and they will come (hopefully)

Pm Alex or another moderator :)

I don't know if you meant that seriously or not, but just to be sure... it probably is not a good idea to do that. The posts have been probably been read already by the aforementioned. They do not necessarily have time to respond to each.

Additionally they have enough on there plate so unless it is really urgent it is probably not worth drawing extra attention. If they thought it was good they may have noted it to themselves.