Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New Crew Types  (Read 8207 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
New Crew Types
« on: November 25, 2012, 09:28:41 AM »

Since there's now character skills and aptitudes, why not add crew that provide a similar benfit?  There might be Engineers, who improve weapon reapairs during battle and improve ship repair/hull mod attaching outside of combat.  There might be a Logistics Officer, who adds command points or adds fleet points.  Of course, just one one these crew wouldn't provide the same effect as an aptitude point or skill point.  You might need more of each, perhaps 50 or 100 of them, to provide the same bonus.  They wouldn't affect if you could add more skill points to an aptitude, though.

They also might not count as regular crew, so having 50 of them would not crew a lasher or a wolf.  They also would need more crew ot cargo space to hold them, to house thier items that make them special.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 09:32:05 AM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Coolrah

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: New Crew Types
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 12:48:31 PM »

I think something along the lines of what your suggesting would work for the game.  They may not have to necessarily be crew but they could be special equipment/artifacts/ ect that give arbitrary bonuses to yer fleet or individual ships. These items can be destroyed/lost in certain cases such maybe you losing a particular ship in combat which has the item onboard. (Not tryna hijack your suggestion or anything just offering alternatives if someone may not like the crew idea)
Its always a good day to die

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 12:50:56 PM »

I'm not so in favor of this because there will be officers we can place on each ship - I think crew types in addition to that would lead to way too much micro... maybe its just me.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 12:53:39 PM »

I'm not so in favor of this because there will be officers we can place on each ship - I think crew types in addition to that would lead to way too much micro... maybe its just me.
This. We will have officers for that.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 12:56:44 PM »

Was there ever any mention what officers will do? 'cause I have no clue...
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 02:16:17 PM »

There is a tab for them. :) I suppose they're going in.
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »

There is a tab for them. :) I suppose they're going in.

Well, that I know, but there are no clues what Officers will do in the end, are there?

The only thing I can guess is that they will somehow be related to /represent the (afaik deactivated) AI personalities.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 02:43:42 PM »

Hmm...yea.

Anyways, back on topic, I just want to know how everyone might react to a way of getting the skills without leveling up.  The crew would be about as expensive as elite crew, if not more, to keep people form spamming them, and might be rarer then them.

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 03:06:32 PM »

Well, that I know, but there are no clues what Officers will do in the end, are there?
The only thing I can guess is that they will somehow be related to /represent the (afaik deactivated) AI personalities.
Well, pretty sure Alex mentioned that the skills are set up such that they can be applied to AI fleets as well as the player one. So, they could just be NPCs using the same rules. Not quite sure how that'd interact with effects like the +OP ones, perhaps some skills will be PC-only or perhaps only the 'Admiral' of a fleet can have their fleet-wide abilities active and everyone else's would only affect their own ship?

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 09:49:30 AM »

My guess is that if there's an overlap in fleet-wide skill bonuses, only the highest would take effect.

Veneke

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 03:13:18 PM »

This is pretty much what I thought Officers were going to be - minor characters that provide bonuses to the specific ship(/outpost?) that they're posted on.

There are only two different crew types that might be worth including: 1. A separate fighter/bomber crew unit. 2. An officers crew unit. However, Crew is rather abstracted at the moment and works rather well so I'm not even sure if any such a distinction is warranted.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:14:55 PM by Veneke »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 03:36:35 PM »

More crew that specializes in different things is that thought that I have.  Fighter crews are welcome, and I'm not even sure if Officers would even count as crew (they're commanding a ship, just like your do).

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 04:21:19 PM »

How would we promote crew to these spots would it be the same way with just randomly selected jobs or could we promote individually? Either way would be great.

ThePinkPanzer

• Commander
  • Professional accidentaly rude person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 04:39:10 PM »

Hmm...yea.

Anyways, back on topic, I just want to know how everyone might react to a way of getting the skills without leveling up.  The crew would be about as expensive as elite crew, if not more, to keep people form spamming them, and might be rarer then them.

Rookie engineer, regular engineer, veteran engineer, elite engineer?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 04:43:13 PM »

Not really leveling up.  They're just there to provide support that's not directly related to combat.
Pages: [1] 2 3