Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [Mac OSX 10.6.8] Whitescreen on exit  (Read 4117 times)

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
[Mac OSX 10.6.8] Whitescreen on exit
« on: November 25, 2012, 05:47:43 AM »

I hate reporting errors that I have no way of giving useful information about, but here it is.
Twice now, I've exited the game and the screen goes white. My mouse is still visible, normal cursor, not the game one, and it still moves. The computer doesn't seem to be frozen, but I can't interact with it, or perhaps I can, but I can't see anything. The only thing to do is force a restart.
This very occasionally happened in an earlier version, but hadn't happened in a very long time, and now 0.54a has one it twice in two days.

I'm using a MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.8, 4GB RAM, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Nvidia 320m. I don't know how to give you any more relevant information, because I really can't do anything once the whitescreen happens besides restart.

Oh, I suppose I should clarify, I'm running the game fullscreen. I suppose this wouldn't completely screw me over if I was running it windowed, so I might try that a few times.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 03:05:52 PM by DelicateTask »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [Mac OSX 10.6.8] Whitescreen on exit
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 08:15:43 AM »

Sorry about that - anything forcing a reboot is very aggravating.

Hmm. I'm not sure how much I can do without being able to reproduce the issue, but there's some good news here. One of the future versions is very likely to start using a different version of LWJGL (the library that handles the low-level graphics), which will have a native implementation on OS X. That may end up bypassing this issue altogether, and may also finally resolve the "no alt-tab from fullscreen on a Mac" issue. "May" being the operative word here, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 08:59:35 AM »

On the subject of the white screen, I would like to report the the game loading jitters appear to be back, if they ever left. Cant quite remember.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 09:34:07 AM »

That's odd. They did leave, and it still seems to be working correctly on my mac. Anyone else care to chime in?

(The problem was the save-game-loading bar flickering a *lot*)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 09:46:18 AM »

Sorry, I just swapped out my Mac for my gaming computer, but I'll see if I can't try and do something, since there are 3 macs around the place
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 10:04:40 AM »

Just making sure you know, it's possible to force quit a program by pressing Command-Option-Escape and choosing the program to stop. Sometimes it doesn't work (I've had Gratuitous Space Battle do something similar where I couldn't even access the force quit thing), but hopefully that's helpful info.

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 05:38:43 PM »

I'll keep this in mind for next time it happens. Thing is, there's another combination that force-quits the active window, and that didn't work. I'm not sure when I'll have the opportunity to try this, though, I'm trying to avoid games for the last bit of the semester to focus on school.

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 03:03:46 PM »

Hey, it's back! I seem to be the only person this actually happens to, which is strange. Same computer, nothing's changed. Now it's happening quite frequently with 6.1a. It only seems to happen in fullscreen. Windowed works fine. I can't force quit it in any fashion and still have to do a hard reboot. This happened three times in a row yesterday, and I can't figure it out.

Technically, it's fake 'fullscreen'. Borderless window, hidden toolbar, native screen resolution. I can still mouse down to the application bar and it pops up over the game window, but when the whitescreen crash happens, suddenly I can't get the bar to show any more. I can't do anything at all, and I've tried everything I know about macs to get a response.

One thing does work that shows the computer is still operating, even if the screen is unresponsive. I was running some music in the background and it kept playing, changed tracks just fine, and responded to keyboard commands to play/pause/change track.

Perhaps the only option is to play at a smaller resolution, but that's where something strange happens. If I try using any resolution other than 1024x768 it just forces 1280x800 (my native res). Even when I use resolution override or force aspect ratio, it will only do native. I can't run it at, say, 1240X800.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 03:23:13 PM »

I have had the full white screen issue a few times. It happens (at least for me) when the crash error dialog is shown but for some reason is not brought to the foreground and the StarSector app window is all white (running in full screen). Due to not being able to alt-tab you can't change the focus from the StarSector app and click the crash dialog box.

For me, it seems to only happen when a crash occurs when the game is transition from menu -> game (via new game/load game) or game -> menu (via save+exit or exit). You can recreate it pretty reliably by causing a crash (via modding) during the initial game generation process.

To work around it I can shut the computer lid (forcing a sleep) and then re-open the lid. This seems to clear the StarSector white screen issue, and allows clocking the button in the error dialog. It may be worth trying this.

I am also using OSX 10.6.8.

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 04:31:24 PM »

Thanks. I will try to break it so I can attempt your fix. Good to know I'm not the only person experiencing this as well.