Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Radio chatter  (Read 27485 times)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
Re: Radio chatter
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2012, 07:06:25 AM »

If you implement it as text only it would be nothing but a funny gimmick like in GSB. To read text takes your eyes away from the action. That is nice if you sit back in a carrier or if you are on the way to the next fight, but it doest add any actual gameplay advantages.

I think information qualifies for audio playback if it is as or more important than what is currently going on directly around you. As said, something like a retreat request or the information that an enemy capital ships has arrived. Stuff you would even want to know if you are under heavy fire. I really don't think audio would become annoying if it holds such crucial information.

True, Audio would only be used for high priority events in my opinion
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

ThePinkPanzer

• Commander
  • Professional accidentaly rude person
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2012, 10:18:39 AM »

If you implement it as text only it would be nothing but a funny gimmick like in GSB. To read text takes your eyes away from the action. That is nice if you sit back in a carrier or if you are on the way to the next fight, but it doest add any actual gameplay advantages.

I think information qualifies for audio playback if it is as or more important than what is currently going on directly around you. As said, something like a retreat request or the information that an enemy capital ships has arrived. Stuff you would even want to know if you are under heavy fire. I really don't think audio would become annoying if it holds such crucial information.

I don't see why you can not glance at the log, see your ship commander saying his hull is going to fail soon, and go help him. Micromanaging everything by pausing the game, finding your ship, checking its health, and then going back for five minutes gets annoying.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2012, 11:27:12 AM »

What exactly prevents text based responses to sitautions from being serious?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2012, 01:02:53 PM »

I don't see why you can not glance at the log, see your ship commander saying his hull is going to fail soon, and go help him. Micromanaging everything by pausing the game, finding your ship, checking its health, and then going back for five minutes gets annoying.

Because your eyes are fixed on the action if you are fighting. We already have text messages about destroyed allies and I only see them halve of the time.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »

All very valid points.

Come to think of it, i would prefer an audio based alarm system. but the problem is, it's got to be done RIGHT. in my eyes, anything less than perfect could well shatter starfarer's immersion. and that means it'd be jolly expensive.

I get what Gothar is saying about the text alerts being slightly distracting, but doesn't Starfarer already use this?

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2012, 01:42:14 PM »

All very valid points.

Come to think of it, i would prefer an audio based alarm system. but the problem is, it's got to be done RIGHT. in my eyes, anything less than perfect could well shatter starfarer's immersion. and that means it'd be jolly expensive.

I think if anyone is up to programming it as a mod we would give lots of feedback to perfect it. Customizability would help, too. 
I think a really perfect system had to be context sensitive. If I'm in my starting frigate I care a lot if a frigate gets destroyed or a enemy destroyer enters the battlefield. If I command a big fleet only Cruiser and Capitals are relevant as single ships, everything else could be handled in a group. "50% of the enemy's light craft are neutralized." "Group one has been lost."

I get what Gothars is saying about the text alerts being slightly distracting, but doesn't Starfarer already use this?

Yes, and it doesn't work well. Or can anyone here handle all the information it spits out in the midst of battle?

ThePinkPanzer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2012, 02:09:43 PM »

Because your eyes are fixed on the action if you are fighting. We already have text messages about destroyed allies and I only see them halve of the time.

What action? If you are on the tactical map you are not seeing much. And we have them in a small box at the top left corner and they have practically no use.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2012, 08:28:51 PM »

What about having audio for piloting and text for the tactical map? Add a bit extra stuff in the text and make audio need to know and it could work?
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2012, 08:30:47 PM »

More clutter on the screen would also be bad. SF is not a strategy game, at least not how most people play it. Keep the UI simple and the gameplay complex.

ThePinkPanzer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2012, 09:44:37 PM »

More clutter on the screen would also be bad. SF is not a strategy game, at least not how most people play it. Keep the UI simple and the gameplay complex.

It is just a small box on the top left. It isn't a tactical game but this is only for the tactical map.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2012, 01:22:21 AM »

What about having audio for piloting and text for the tactical map? Add a bit extra stuff in the text and make audio need to know and it could work?

That would even make sense lore-wise. The tactical UI represents some kind of command room (either a real physical room or a holo/neural room, depending on tech-level of the ship) where fleet information go in and out. You leave the bridge and enter it every time you press TAB. That all kind of radio chatter would come in there but only the most important stuff is redirected to the bridge makes a lot of sense.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2012, 06:08:28 AM »

That would even make sense lore-wise. The tactical UI represents some kind of command room (either a real physical room or a holo/neural room, depending on tech-level of the ship) where fleet information go in and out. You leave the bridge and enter it every time you press TAB. That all kind of radio chatter would come in there but only the most important stuff is redirected to the bridge makes a lot of sense.

It would have to be done right. But, it is a great idea.
- Albert Einstein

Eldiablo1989

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2012, 10:02:37 PM »

Is there anyone that would be willing to put a few strings into a mini-mod to test this? the more support, the more helping hands that can write messages! i mean who doesn't want to see their work in play? what do we have to do to begin?

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2012, 05:29:25 AM »

Is there anyone that would be willing to put a few strings into a mini-mod to test this? the more support, the more helping hands that can write messages! i mean who doesn't want to see their work in play? what do we have to do to begin?
Agreed, community integration into the game on this level could bring us all closer together and adds a unique addition to the game
- Albert Einstein

Axiege

• Admiral
  • What a brave and loving name.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2012, 07:36:51 AM »

Just give me some lines and a file format to upload modders, I would love to help you guys test this out.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6