Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trading?  (Read 5254 times)

TheXzavier56

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Trading?
« on: October 27, 2012, 10:58:25 AM »

Hey, kinda new to Starfarer, and loving it! :D
But I've wondered...since there isn't much of a trading aspect in it right now, will you be able to be a part-time or full-time trader in the future?
If not, oh well, best game -ever- ;) already!
Captain's log: "Are we dead yet?"

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Trading?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 11:12:21 AM »

Hi Xzavier, welcome to the forum :)

Trading is indeed planned as part of the game, you will probably be able to build a whole economic empire of trading and industry. But it can still take quite some time before that becomes reality, it will certainly not happen this year.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

TheXzavier56

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 01:00:58 PM »

hey, thanks for the quick reply!
Good to know, I'm really seeing forward to when this game is done!

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 01:08:47 PM »

Welcome to the forum! o/

Hopefully the campaign parts such as trading will be the focus after this update. (You never know with Alex though)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 02:29:47 PM »

(You never know with Alex though)
Truer words never spoken.

I assume pure trading would be hard due to pirates or something, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Also that would completely circumvent the most polished beautiful gemstone of starfarer, the combat.  :)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 05:01:05 PM »

Also that would completely circumvent the most polished beautiful gemstone of starfarer, the combat.  :)
Uh, combat is all there is at the moment...

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 05:36:28 PM »

So, technically, he is correct :D

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 05:43:45 PM »

Indeed. :)

TheXzavier56

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 09:38:26 PM »

Also looking forward to the character creation in the next update as well!
But one thin, when is the next update likely due to be finished?

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 01:40:25 AM »

Also looking forward to the character creation in the next update as well!
But one thin, when is the next update likely due to be finished?

SoonTM

But seriously, you never know with Alex. One day it will suddenly be out, but I have a feeling its getting close.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 12:51:06 PM »

Haha. But even as new stuff is added I don't think this is likely to change. I could be wrong, though.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 04:35:34 AM »

one way you might be able to disregard pirates to go pure trading is to hire mercenaries? if that will be planned which given how fleshed out alex made the combat i feel like any option you can rationally think of will be there, Eventually, or you might make less cash but sticking to already well defended systems IE hegemony or TT controlled would probably limit pirate activity you'd have to deal with.

also i'd just like to say TheXzavier56 you one of the best sigs I've ever seen. made me laugh.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:35:31 PM by Doom101 »
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

TheXzavier56

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 01:05:31 AM »

one way you might be able to disregard pirates to go pure trading is to hire mercenaries? if that will be planned which given how fleshed out alex made the combat i feel like any option you can rationally think of will be there, Eventually, or you might make less cash but sticking to already well defended systems IE hegemony or TT controlled would probably limit pirate activity you'd have to deal with.

also i'd just like to say TheXzavier56 you one of the best sigs I've ever seen. made me laugh.

I totally agree.
It should be more dangerous, but more profitable to trade in faraway or dangerous sectors.

Oh and thanksfor the kind sig comment!

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 03:21:06 PM »

I totally agree.
It should be more dangerous, but more profitable to trade in faraway or dangerous sec
Oh and thanksfor the kind sig comment!

Trading far away from high security forces would also make sense for making more profit, after all say there is a colony on a planet that is being constantly harassed by pirates, as the pirates destroy more shipments of supplies the colony becomes more desperate for the supplies they can't make themselves, they may have food and water but not high durability metal building components or defense weaponry and various other things farmers/civilians can't make. so they will pay more for the shipments that DO get through the pirate raids. and so then the player is more likely to risk his ships for that cash OR do it for humanitarian reasons?

speaking of that as a trader it might be interesting to have some sort of humanitarian aide missions anything from crashed ships to delivering medical supplies to civilians in a warzone. dangerous things that may not get the best pay but others will look kindly on you for?
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

VerifiedN

• Ensign
  • A random person on the internet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 11:00:47 AM »

Speaking of trading... I have no idea how in depth the economy will get to be in the game, but it would be interesting if you had the ability to donate credits or items (ships/weapons/goods) to stations who are currently on the 'very poor' end of the spectrum to give them a boost.

War is good for business, after all.
Pages: [1] 2