Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Supplies and Repairs  (Read 3025 times)

bluntfang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Supplies and Repairs
« on: September 10, 2012, 03:52:35 PM »

Maybe I am missing something, but repairs feel a bit like playing the "Price is Right" at this point.  I have to buy a bunch of supplies and then hope that they are enough to make the repairs.  Any chance of a ___supplies needed for repair report on individual ships (in the fleet screen where it already has options to control/prioritize repairs)?  Is it already there, somewhere......Or when I try to repair at a station to say, ___more supplies needed to complete repairs.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Supplies and Repairs
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 03:53:44 PM »

Why couldn't you just cut that out as well and have repairs at a station cost credits instead of supplies?

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 04:00:42 PM »

I'm just guessing here, but I suspect that it's because Alex wants stations / outposts to run out of supplies if they can't get trade convoys in, preventing repairs being made and leading to a location being lost when the defense fleet is too weak to fight back, in the grand scheme of things.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

bluntfang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 04:08:47 PM »

I don't mind having to "trade" for the supplies, I just wish what I needed was more apparent.

I tend to play the campaign as "must trade for everything", so normal credits (by personal choice) are not as useful for me.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 04:13:23 PM »

I'm just guessing here, but I suspect that it's because Alex wants stations / outposts to run out of supplies if they can't get trade convoys in, preventing repairs being made and leading to a location being lost when the defense fleet is too weak to fight back, in the grand scheme of things.
Never thought of it like that. Still, couldn't the game buy the supplies for you at that point?

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 04:21:08 PM »

I think that was the originally-intended mechanic, kind of like the early mods that people have made with "winnable wars", but with the stations actually changing to the winning faction.

Or maybe he just got supplies-as-fixing-stuff working, got it to work through the Stations as an instant fix... and decided to work on something else, heh.  One never knows :)

Anyhow, I agree it'd be nice to know how many to buy, although I always feel like the answer should be "more than enough"; you'll use the Supplies at one point or another, after all.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 04:35:41 PM »

I suggested that a wile ago and Alex said he would keep it in mind.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=3607.msg55330#msg55330
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

bluntfang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 06:42:20 PM »

So there is a way already!  I didn't know that clicking repair and hovering would give me the costs.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 07:30:42 PM »

So there is a way already!  I didn't know that clicking repair and hovering would give me the costs.
It doesn't. Gothars edited that in himself so Alex would know exactly what he was suggesting.

bluntfang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 01:13:52 PM »

Yeah, after I logged off and tried it I realized that as well. Bugger that!