Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2225623 times)

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #4230 on: August 10, 2014, 02:58:49 PM »

Hey folks,

working on my mod again, made a logo thingy for the upcoming iteration.
Heavy influenced by Dan McPharlin

Spoiler
[close]

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: August 10, 2014, 03:31:51 PM »

OH GOD HES BACK!

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: August 10, 2014, 03:47:17 PM »

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: August 10, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »

Well, not much to be said.  Sketches for various weapons.  The next release of Shadowyards will be focused heavily on adding additional weapons systems to the faction.

Probably gonna need to be a lot of focus on balancing.

Spoiler

Obviously the weapon names are not final, instead focusing on being slightly descriptive.

The beam weapons are going be kinda zappy kinds of weapons (kinda odd for something described as a "slow beam" I know); the spread beam is a better small pd/anti-fighter option, the Sniper will have, predictably, high alpha and long range.  Efficiency on these weapons will be somewhat to very poor, and excepting the Sniper cannon, range will be fairly short.

The Assault blaster will be a short ranged, flux inefficient weapon with good DPS; the EmP weapons will be modeled vaguely after the AM Blaster/Heavy Blaster, but with EMP instead--Slow fire rates, strong emp.

The odd weapons, the mine launchers and heavy PD/Airburst thing are going to be strange guns that fill niche purposes.  The mine launchers are primarily for area denial
Spoiler
and launching barrages of Danmaku at hostile ships that stray too close
[close]
, while the WAPD/AF does what it says on the tin, firing big slow energy globs that explode in a sizeable AoE that wrecks fighters and missiles but it too unfocused to really hurt larger craft.
[close]

Also, welcome back, Thule.  Nice logo there.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: August 10, 2014, 03:58:49 PM »

Slow beam, Snail cannon, Absurd blaster, Weird airburst thingy launcher, sniper beam, im liking the names you have got going here. this will surely grant some unique style of gameplay. XD

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: August 10, 2014, 11:09:05 PM »

Pretty much all of those sketches look like they could easily be standalone ships. :)

Zudgemud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: August 11, 2014, 01:38:53 AM »

Hey folks,

working on my mod again
, made a logo thingy for the upcoming iteration.
Heavy influenced by Dan McPharlin

Spoiler
[close]

Yessssssssss!!!!

Regarding the logo though, while it is nice and cool I personally dont recall that colorscheme being the hallmark of thule legacy, have you changed it?

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: August 11, 2014, 03:21:30 AM »

The ship in the background isn't the same as the Herzog. Finally the Monarch? Ohboyohboyohboy.

By the way, i love that McPharlin dude, his art remind me of old Psygnosis jackets.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: August 11, 2014, 06:24:51 AM »

Here are two ships that I have been working on for a while.

The larger of the two is the Delcy class destroyer, and the other one is the Vonision class Frigate. The Vonision received a better shading this time around compared to what it previously had in another post.
Any Critique?

So, one suggestion is to start expanding on both the colour range as well as variations. You need to use black and shadows more for segregration. The range used is a good start, but without better definition and AA pixels it's not going to achieve that next level.

Here is a histogram of your current ship

Here is what an excellent ship looks like in terms of black, shadows, midtones and highlights etc. You can see there are almost no gaps. Certainly you don't need your histogram to look fairly flat like the below one, highlights on fuel tanks can give greater give the histogram higher proportions of highlights - but you definitely don't want to see as many gaps as there are on your ship.

That said, that above is Baumgart's work, so it's a really high benchmark. This is just a technical analysis of your work, how you achieve that range is another story.

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: August 12, 2014, 04:02:59 AM »

Some new frigates.

Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:08:03 AM by Xalendi »

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: August 12, 2014, 05:38:00 AM »

@Zudgemud
The colorscheme is roughly the same, but there are some more color splashes on the ships as before (Markings, coloured plates etc). This is due to the anullment of the former High Command (after the destruction of the ice moon Thule) and the subsequent rise in power of the individual shipkins.

sample shipkins:
Spoiler
[close]

@Helmut
Yeah it's a Monark and i'll have to tackle this monster, sprite is still to "clean"

here's an ongoing WIP of a WIP of a new carrier
Spoiler
[close]

CrazyDave

• Commander
  • Never left, stopped posting
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: August 12, 2014, 06:54:58 AM »

The flags look great!! personally im not too sure about the third one though, but i cant quite put my finger on why. Maybe the tattered part isnt quite right but dont take my word for it (im very sleepy right now). apart from that though, they're very impressive work.
Naysmyth Armouries, for all your blasting needs.

sarducardun

• Commander
  • Welcome the angel of death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: August 12, 2014, 07:12:25 AM »

I think the tattered part is too regular? in places, the third 'part' from right has quite a long straight/slightly curved section that could be removed, and the piece to the right of that doesn't hang straight. I think that as a true fabric flag wouldn't act like that our brains pick it out as a little off?

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: August 12, 2014, 07:33:30 AM »

Some new frigates.

Spoiler

[close]

Looking at these ships they have some alpha'd pixels in places they shouldn't been. I'd also say that you've used more partial transparent black pixels at the edges than is necessary. Think of the alpha pixels as antia-aliasing. With AA pixel trying using it where you know that the curves or geometry would enter the pixel, but only partially. Like say I have an antenna that is 1.5pixels wide, assuming the centre of the antenna is dead in the middle of the a vertical line of pixels. The vertical section would be completely black, and the pixels each side of the black line would be ...say 25% black/alpha.

mmm, also try adding a bit more dynamic range to the black lines at the edges too. Have a look at the frigate_phase_assault from SS for reference.

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: August 13, 2014, 02:04:24 PM »

WIP of the Monark
old ---> new

Spoiler
[close]

Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 482