Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2277517 times)

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #3240 on: January 29, 2014, 12:50:00 AM »

Ok...here's the latest version of my ship:

Spoiler

[close]

Details:
Name: Storm Mk III
Class: Heavy Cruiser
Armament: 2x starboard pd beams, 2x port pd beams, 4x heavy beam turrets, 4x aft pd beams, built in bow megalaser
Armour: Heavy
Shields: Weak
Speed: Moderate
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:53:31 AM by Xalendi »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: January 29, 2014, 01:00:49 AM »

Xalendi, that is a looking really nice and a massive improvement over the last version!

It would look a lot nicer with custom turret mounts though in my opinion, those vanilla ones really clash with the design.

And another thought that occurs to me is the fact that those running lights on it are static and part of the sprite itself. It might look better if instead they were removed and put on the ship as decorative weapons and they could be animated and blinking. Here is a .gif showing blinkers next to the fighter bays of my Irithia class (ignore all the other things going on, feeling to lazy to record it again without the Repulsor field firing off).

Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 01:02:38 AM by MesoTroniK »

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: January 29, 2014, 01:12:30 AM »

Thanks for the idea! Blinking lights would be nice. Not sure how to go about making custom mounts. My last attempt was...poor.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: January 29, 2014, 01:17:51 AM »

Custom mounts can be challenging to make look good I had issues with it for a while also, but I found a method that at least looks good on my Exigency ships. Vanilla and most mod weapon mounts are on top of the sprite or at least level with it. Instead I made mine sunken into the vessel and then packed that recess with greeble, I think it looks pretty cool like the weapons are dropped into a socket or something :)

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: January 29, 2014, 01:27:16 AM »

That could be interesting, thanks.

Lcu

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: January 29, 2014, 05:38:58 AM »

In my opinion the easiest way to make custom mounts is by making them in Battleships Forever. I've tried it once and it looks good as a missile mount IMO.
Spoiler
Ctrl+F, type 6
[close]

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #3246 on: January 29, 2014, 08:09:36 AM »

Spoiler

XLE Salamander-class Prototype Phase Drone Carrier.

Drone pods are on the tail. Phase generators are on the wings (those silver tubing and vents) and are going to glow bright green-yellow. Six antennas on the frontal wings are transponders for drone controllers.

[close]

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: January 29, 2014, 11:23:31 AM »

Why have a LOOOOOONG weapon, when you can charge up your projectile/beam in a Synchrotron like the CERN Large Hadron Collidor?

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: January 29, 2014, 01:04:29 PM »

It'd be way cooler if it was a spiral; IRL particle accelerators used for weapons research are that way or are linear.  Unlike CERN, the objective is not particle collisions within the accelerator at the target point, after all, but ejecting the accelerated particles into space.

Anyhow, other than that kind of nerd-quibbling, I'm curious to see how well that translates to typical scales, unless you're really intending to field a weapon that's larger than a lot of cruisers :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: January 29, 2014, 01:33:02 PM »

You mean a spiral type Cyclotron? I had a look at that, but doesn't seem to be able to get to energies like the CERN. I mean the biggest problem with having a Synchrotron is if you built it in space, and had two objects/plasma streams being energised in counter rotating directions - your ship start to get shaken to pieces on the longitudinal axis of the weapon. I think you'd need at least 4 discrete objects/plasma streams in 2 different vacuum tubes to prevent torque or lat/long forces - then to avoid any forces on 'firing' all for would have to fire 90 degrees out of phase from each other.

A spiral type would probably look a bit cooler though. You thinking of something like this as a base design? (not my render)

As for scaling, I'm not sure where it stands as yet, it's far too large to fit in the inventory screen for starters. I'm still thinking about the ship it's going to be mounted on. I'd like some kind of artillery ship...though honestly Starsector combat does not lend itself to artillery in the known sense as typically artillery has plunging firing, whilst SS projectiles go in a straight line.

I've done some test firing from the onslaught hull with a custom hullmod...it looks...silly...aside from the obvious colour mismatch.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: January 29, 2014, 09:58:46 PM »

Hah, finally had some more time to work on the Elysium redo; this is probably reasonably final as far as the design goes, but it needs so clean up and sharpening around the edges and the like.

Spoiler
[close]

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: January 29, 2014, 10:32:33 PM »

I like it. The stripes look good. But it don't half remind me of an upended covvie plasma rifle...

NITROtbomb

• Commander
  • I like Mah glass cannon ships :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: January 30, 2014, 06:36:11 AM »

no you didn't... :D
Dancing and playing games, how does that work.. well YOU tell me!

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: January 30, 2014, 06:48:14 AM »

I like it. The stripes look good. But it don't half remind me of an upended covvie plasma rifle...

I have to agree it does have 'that' look to it. Not that there is anything wrong with it, still awesome.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: January 30, 2014, 08:35:37 AM »

I'm surprised MShadowy, did you lowered the color saturation compared to other SHI ships? It feels... Different. Other than this, great sprite.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 482