Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: More differentiation for carriers  (Read 11428 times)

Blackoth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: More differentiation for carriers
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 03:08:23 PM »

there are some good ideas brewing here!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 03:58:02 AM »

Little update, Ivaylo explained a possible reason why all carriers have the same repair times:

We also discussed the idea of having fighters that are "packaged" and can only be activated by a carrier's mini-autofactory. It doesn't really build that much, but mostly just activates the fighter, which is packaged in a container designed to minimize space.

Well, that's just my interpretation of it:

So the supplies would include pre-packed replacement fighters, interesting. That might account for the fast repair time, it might mean that fighters are not immediately repaired but deactivated and replacements are activated. That would even account for the fact that fighters have the same repair times on all carriers, even on small ones like the Gemini! Cool!
Well,  there had to be some logistic-geniuses in my crew to plan ahead the rate of fighters in the supplies, but whatever.

Thanks for the answer :)

I like how fighters aren't constrained to carriers alone. But they definitely could use a little something to make them stand out and differentiate the classes of ships. Something to make the astral an immediately better carrier than lesser ships besides just defenses and flight decks.

See the thread linked above, there are some ideas for just that. Even though my lore concerns regarding carrier differences are now eased, I still think more choice would make for more interesting gameplay.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 07:33:33 AM »

Haha, no way man. There is no way this mechanic could actually make real sense. It's just for gameplay. Trying to justify it is a bit of a hand wave.
For example, I buy 500 supplies from the hegemony and go blow up some tritach fighters. I get a wasp wing, then engage a carrier fleet with them. They resupply 2 times in that fight. Did I just buy wasps from the hegemony? So obviously that doesn't make sense. Carriers are the same because that's easier.

SwipertheFox

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 08:11:40 AM »

This is a excellent idea.  I like the repair speeds being different. I guess a little buff on the fighters wouldnt be too bad but I believe its best to stay away from that.  At least with this idea anyway.   :D

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 09:40:55 AM »

You can hit notify to follow a topic.

Sort of OT, but I want a hull mod that speeds up repair of fighters

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 10:12:53 AM »

I feel like this is adding needless complexity. What about the other stats that already differentiate them is lacking?

The condor and gemini are VERY different in terms of how and where they can do their refitting This affects how long it takes to repair since fighters have to fly all the way back to your condor on the back lines when your gemini is usually in the thick of it.

Also there's the consideration or their rarity in the campaign and the difference they will have on your fleet economy.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Brainbread

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 10:23:24 AM »

You can hit notify to follow a topic.

Sort of OT, but I want a hull mod that speeds up repair of fighters

Make it a choice between arming your carrier with missiles or speeding up fighter repair. So, make it an expensive mod!~

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 10:45:35 AM »

Haha, no way man. There is no way this mechanic could actually make real sense. It's just for gameplay. Trying to justify it is a bit of a hand wave.
For example, I buy 500 supplies from the hegemony and go blow up some tritach fighters. I get a wasp wing, then engage a carrier fleet with them. They resupply 2 times in that fight. Did I just buy wasps from the hegemony? So obviously that doesn't make sense. Carriers are the same because that's easier.

In that example you got some supplies when defeating the first Tri-Tachyon fleet, so replacement fighters could be in there. Well, it's not perfect, but it's something.

I still would like to see it changed, but now mostly for gameplay reasons.

I feel like this is adding needless complexity. What about the other stats that already differentiate them is lacking?

The condor and gemini are VERY different in terms of how and where they can do their refitting This affects how long it takes to repair since fighters have to fly all the way back to your condor on the back lines when your gemini is usually in the thick of it.

Also there's the consideration or their rarity in the campaign and the difference they will have on your fleet economy.

Mh... the Condor has better hull and two times the armor of the Gemini, which in turn has better shields. They are both not qualified to stay very close to the front lines, I think.
But honestly, the Condor is transformed into a dedicated carrier, giving up almost all storage room. The Gemini is a heavily armed transporter that happens to have a tiny flight deck. And the Gemini is just as good (or even better according to you) in a pure carrier-role as the Condor (or the Venture or the Odyssey)? That doesn't make sense to me.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 11:00:38 AM »

Well we aren't at final balancing either.

I guess the whole crux of this thread is that current balance is off and how to address it.

I agree that the balance is wonky, but I don't agree that adding in new mechanics is the best way to fix it. Though I don't think the ideas here are inherently bad or anything.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

SwipertheFox

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2012, 01:08:10 PM »

Well we aren't at final balancing either.

I guess the whole crux of this thread is that current balance is off and how to address it.

I agree that the balance is wonky, but I don't agree that adding in new mechanics is the best way to fix it. Though I don't think the ideas here are inherently bad or anything.

I agree... Keeping it simple is probably the best way to address it.  You dont simplify programming code by adding more code...   :-\

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 01:17:25 PM »

When did code simplification become the issue? oO

This is not about simplification or balancing but about choice, the choice to have ships with different carrier-capabilities. It's really not very complex, in its easiest execution just a simple numerical modificator.

SwipertheFox

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 10:48:47 AM »

When did code simplification become the issue? oO

This is not about simplification or balancing but about choice, the choice to have ships with different carrier-capabilities. It's really not very complex, in its easiest execution just a simple numerical modificator.

Excellent point by you sir!!!
Pages: 1 [2]