Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Boarding  (Read 28230 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Boarding
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2012, 12:08:26 PM »

Yay physics! For comparison, a 4m/s impact is equivalent to jumping off of a ledge .8 meters (2.6 feet) off the ground.

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2012, 12:12:52 PM »

Hehe - this thing always seems to occur  ::)

It's kind of pointless to apply physics to this. Starfarer is not a simulation.

It is a simulation - just they dont teach the right kind of physics in school these days ;)

Umm....ummm....*escapes the thread*

Seeing as you didn't enter the thread with the intent to escape there is no way you can emerge unscathed. Your account-ship is damaged and no longer has the speed to escape - enjoy your temporary invulnerability while it last :)

Please explain how SF is a simulation

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2012, 12:23:13 PM »

It is a simulation - just they dont teach the right kind of physics in school these days ;)

Please explain how SF is a simulation

Read again, it was a joke.

I'm late to the thread, are we talking about how real life spaceship boarding could occur? Or how realistic it would be in SF?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2012, 06:24:41 PM »

No worries was just joking around (thats what the  ;) was meant to mean)

I would explain it but that would violate the rules of funniness and create a rip in the witticism-jest continuum known as a non-hilarity  :)

LostInTheWired

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2012, 06:58:55 PM »

No, it's not really a simulation, but that's not really the point.  XD  It was just people trying to figure out whether it was physically realistic for these things to exist.  Some people have trouble suspending disbelief for certain things, so we argued the physics of the process.  Partly for fun, partly for understanding.

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2012, 07:08:54 PM »

Physics IS fun. That's why I brought it into conversation. I'm only in the first AP physics course at my school so I don't even know the half of it. But next year I get to learn integrated field theory! Woo! But yeah, I still don't like it cause it would be a butt-load of work to develop, balance, and implement. I think that makes up come full circle, but I'm not going to read the whole thread. It is a cool concept and I would like to see it now that it has been validated in my mind.  ;D

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2012, 07:13:55 PM »

Derp. Sorry

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2012, 09:15:01 PM »

mildly off on topic every boarding thread is make boarding more awesome skillful violant with some gambling in there for fun.

my current problem is its board all without a second thaught it just better, and why do space marines always have a 1, 3 something kill ratio or something its AR shotguns and combat armor verses wrenches crowbars pistols and jumpsuits. PS no half life

on launch pods yes! fire 4 man heavily armored unarmed vacumed sealed pod with in suit life support breach, drill or ram the hull with computer precision accuracy. breach clear assault, system or personell, hold, disable leave, in escape pod or jump out the way you came wait for pickup. For docked assault, flash bangs, frags mgs, just fill the corridor then systematically clear with full force.

also why dont surrendered ships give crew im not the guy from spaz who cant think unless theres an air lock available.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2012, 10:07:23 PM »

All talk of the physics aside (though I admit to being on the side of plausible), I think this would add a very interesting aspect to combat in starfarer. It would make pure EMP ships a viable option to be combined with the boarding system (It should probably be a ship system rather than a weapon imo). Boarding should have to be done when the ship has been disabled and the other ships would need to be able to guard the ship under assault from other threats. It should obviously scale in difficulty along with hull size and require a dedicated support fleet to pull off with the best results. I would say pirates would be rather fond of wolf packs that featured a couple of these ships to capture new vessels and cargo ships. I mean, right now pirates DESTROY cargo ships and salvage any remaining debris... how much more effective would it be for them to just actually take the ship. That's kinda been the point of piracy since the beginning.

As for other cool ideas around this design, high tech ships could use electronic warfare to hack systems and disable ships. This wouldn't be an in combat capture but instead allow marines to more easily capture ships in the after combat screen.

I think there is a lot to work with here that would make the combat more varied and interesting and not simply a "blow everything you see to pieces" kind of combat game (not that it is bad now).
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]