Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: phase sensors.  (Read 7065 times)

frag971

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: phase sensors.
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 06:21:07 PM »

Just one tidbit: the "cloaking" part may become less misleading - depending on just how things shake out in the campaign. Not a certainty, mind you, but something I'm going to look at.
So phasing is right now a temporary thing and will be revised later when the campaign fleshes out to see where it can or cannot stand? fair enough i guess.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 06:26:48 PM »

Just one tidbit: the "cloaking" part may become less misleading - depending on just how things shake out in the campaign. Not a certainty, mind you, but something I'm going to look at.
So phasing is right now a temporary thing and will be revised later when the campaign fleshes out to see where it can or cannot stand? fair enough i guess.

No - what I meant was that it may get some campaign-level mechanics. The way it is now in combat is the way it will stay, except for minor tweaks.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 06:51:05 PM »

I would wager my credits on phase ships in a fleet being not detectable on the system map, so you can lure enemies into thinking that you are easy prey. And the other way round.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

RSS_Ornel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 05:01:46 AM »

Now that is something I can agree with!
Thanks.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 05:14:33 AM »

I'd still like to see a sonar kind of thing available for phase ship, to make battles atleast a bit more interesting than knowing where a phase ship is from the start. Sure, we have gotten real advanced sensors and sonars now for detecting subs and it's mandatory for every military ship to have one, but does that mean that every submarine get's detected by their sweeping motion? Nope, some may still pass through unseen. That mechanic i could get behind :)

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 05:59:08 AM »

Actually the vast majority don't. It depends on how deep the sub is, and how good the ships systems are. A phase "depth" mechanic would be cool though, and allow for the possibility to not be seen.

Pendragon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 04:55:25 AM »

Though phase sensors are standard what about giving them a detection range?

Depending on ship size they could detect phased ships at different ranges, since larger ships will have a more powerful sensor package. Off the top of my head, 100 for fighters, 500 for frigates, 750 for destroyers, 1000 for cruisers and maybe 1500 for capital ships and sensor stations. That's faithful to the lore since phase sensors are still standard on all ships but could still make them more useful and a lot trickier to fight when used cleverly.

Imagine, you can't detect any ships around a nav-buoy so send your hound over for a quick cap. Then out of nowhere a doom class that had been lurking outside detection range un-phases and suddenly you're down a frigate and there's a major threat moving in on your flank. I can imagine it making battles a lot more tense and exciting since it adds a lot of extra calculations that the player has to make about distributing his fleet on the map.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 05:20:42 AM »

As far as i understand first and foremost reason for making phase ships visible was difficulty(more like unfeasibilty) of writing AI that could adequately counter them otherwise. Any variants of limited invisibility hit exactly the same problem...

RSS_Ornel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 04:04:02 PM »

Partial invisibility like sonar lets say, only requires very little additional code: only prediction algorithms.
Pages: 1 [2]