Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why I love the Venture  (Read 10962 times)

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Why I love the Venture
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 06:41:45 AM »

It has the 2nd best cargo to fleet point ratio after the atlas while having a flight deck and serious offensive and defensive power. Its definitely OP.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 06:42:33 AM »

Especially since most medium energy weapons aren't that great(IMO)

Well they are actually quite good. Especially the Pulse laser and the phase beam.

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 06:28:23 AM »

Heavy blaster? It's like hound'be'gone in a can, in a gun.

Actually I thought the ventures travel speed in system was slow, but turns out it's 120. Huh. Actually I've underestimated this ship.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 06:48:24 AM »

Glad I'm not the only one to think that.

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 09:34:47 AM »

Well they are actually quite good. Especially the Pulse laser and the phase beam.
Not really. Phase beam doesn't do enough damage to be a good weapon by it'self(since beams weapons don't accumulate hard flux). Pulse laser is actually quite suckish, try it out. Only 200 or so DPS and 300 flux/sec

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 09:48:34 AM »

Not really. Phase beam doesn't do enough damage to be a good weapon by it'self(since beams weapons don't accumulate hard flux). Pulse laser is actually quite suckish, try it out. Only 200 or so DPS and 300 flux/sec

Energy weapons pay a high premium for doing equal damage to both armor and shields, their high-flux bonus, and infinite ammo (with one exception). Energy weapons that deal hard flux rarely get above 1:1 dmg/flux even at max flux. However, I feel this is entirely offset by the powerful defenses of any ship that can use them (aka high-tech ships and the venture). The combination of factors gives high-tech ships unparalleled longevity in battle and are just as effective at 20 minutes into battle as at 20 seconds. There's no need to completely overpower an opponent when you can outlast them.

If medium energy weapons were any better, they'd probably be overpowered.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 02:52:42 PM by naufrago »

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 02:50:56 PM »

I'd take an Odyssey over the Venture any day in a carrier fleet.
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 03:23:17 PM »

ya, but that thing's kinda... ya know... a capship...

mmm.... tartiflette

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 04:19:23 PM »

You can buy what, 5 ventures for the cost of an odessy? I bet they're more effective in battle too, the only reason to use an odessy is for the lower overall FP(Which is more important, don't get me wrong).

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 04:24:58 PM »

then i would rather get 2-3 condors and fill the rest of the FP up with broadswords, and you would still be below the odyssey in cost and not even the SDF would beat you.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2012, 07:48:29 PM »

Bah!
I hate posting in ship threads. Everyone has their own methods of gaining a victory and they always go beet-red and stomp about, shouting to the heavens insisting that theirs is the best whenever anyone else is even inclined towards an alternative strategy. 'Who would dare use that cruiser with those frigates? No they just won't do!' Theres just too many options out there for anyone to agree I guess. Too many incredibly effective fleets and ship load-outs. Too much to learn from arguing with everyone else. Alex is a genius. :P
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 10:19:10 AM by GUNINANRUNIN »
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

legion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Total Annihilation Papercraft
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2012, 12:14:28 AM »

Thing is, with ITU and Advanced Optics, Phase Beams have a very good range. AND it deals EMP damage, which kills unprotected engines. On a Wolf, the best starting setup would be swapping those harpons for swarmers and the Grav beam for the Phasebeam (or heavy blaster/mining blaster) and go Hound Hunting.

As for the Venture, I just don't like the looks of it, so I never used it much. Should test it again. Odessey is still preferred over it though, or the Gemini.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 12:17:47 AM »

Bah!
I hate posting in ship threads. Everyone has their own methods of gaining a victory and they always go beet-red and stomp about, shouting to the heavens insisting that theirs is the best whenever anyone else is even inclined towards an alternative strategy. 'Who would dare use that cruiser with those frigates? No they just won't do!' Theres just too many options out there for anyone to agree I guess.

This is actually something I really love about this game. In a lot of games there is the strategy to win and get best results/values. This game has enough balance/'perfect imbalance' that we can argue all we want about loadouts, maybe learn something, but still all be right and effective.

Personally I love it with 2x Flak, 1x Heavy blaster, and ITU. And the usual missiles + racks.
Pages: 1 [2]