Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New Onslaught is a Beast!  (Read 10687 times)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: New Onslaught is a Beast!
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 11:08:19 AM »

Well before it was ridiculous. It was either get it from behind or get trollolololed all day long by the thing.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 12:07:15 PM »

Only problem:  Now the Conquest is the weakest Capital Ship.

Not really, at 150 speed (50 +50 from jets + 50 flux boost) it totally dominates the battlefield.Yes, it doesn't pack same punch as Onslaught, but 150 speed is usually enough to have complete control of engagement against it. I'd say it pretty much makes destroyers/cruisers obsolete as classes. With much more firepower per FP and same speed as fast destroyer(50+50), the only reason not to build your fleet around Conquests is the fact that AI is quite bad at controlling broadsides and zero-flux boost...

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 12:23:08 PM »

The Conquest is very good at packing Capital-level firepower and range onto a platform with the speed and maneuverability of a cruiser. It's not a slugger like an Onslaught or Paragon, but it's devastating nonetheless.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 12:24:20 PM »

The problem with the Omen is that their shield efficiency was cut by more than half.

I have no problem with this. It was incredibly hard to kill before, cheap and easy to outfit, and hard-countered an entire class of weapons and ships (while also being incredibly dangerous to larger ships without 360 shield coverage.)

Now, you can at least force the damn thing away with weapons fire.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 01:47:16 PM »

I think the Odyssey is now the weakest of the 'combat' capitals - then again it has a flight deck so I guess its a hybrid. It still absolutely owns everything under capital class (the HEF makes it devastating to things it can outrange - dual boosted plasma cannons into a cruiser is fun to watch), but now its not fast enough to get away from either an Onslaught or a Conquest. Which isn't so bad, I guess. It was kind of a super ship :P.

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 03:04:40 PM »

Well, the Conquest fits perfectly what her lore says: a very fast (150, like a hammerhead iirc), very maneuverable and heavily armed (2 medium + 2 large ballistic slots on each side plus 2 large and 2 medium missiles) capital ship which trades protection for speed and firepower. It's not a capship killer, but she's not meant to be that. Not on her own, at least.  :)

The Odyssey is a very good hybrid both in combat: she's a fast, heavily armed, energy-based ship with a single flight deck. It's obvious that on her own she's not that great against other capships, but give her a couple of strike craft wings to help out and watch what happens.  :)

The Onslaught and the Paragon fits nearly the same role: heavily armed and armored/shielded ship capable of destroying nearly everything that gets within her weapons range, with the Paragon being more versatile (yay energy weapons!) and more "agile" and the Onslaught being capable of enormous bursts of damage with only flux capacity and crappy maneuverability as her real limits.

The Astral is the worst 1vs1, but her true weapons are fighter wings. She can rearm 4 (four!) wings at the same time while shooting pairs of MIRVs. Pretty scary if kept away from enemy cruisers and above.  :)

The Atlas instead is simply a capship-sized cargo ship which can die to broadswords if it isn't properly protected. But she has a flight deck, so even she can say "Yay, i'm helping!  :D ".
...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 04:12:31 PM »

The new Onslaught is most certainly a beast, however the Paragon with it's fortress shield (not new I know, but I hadn't fought one since the last update) is equally terrifying.  Pre fortress shield I would laugh at them with my Onslaught, now I find myself hard pressed even with the Onslaught buff.  The ability to unload to nearly max flux and then tank all your damage while it cools down is scary, and the AI is quite good at this, unless you're at max range and can back away when it does so.  You can stop firing when it does this, and try and vent some flux, but only if it's one versus one which seldom happens.  

Still experimenting with the Conquest, but it seems very good for what it's intended to be.  Cap ship level guns cruising around with 150 speed is pretty scary.  It was said that it isn't a cap ship killer, but that depends on the loadout.  Cyclone reapers, which, in my opinion, you would be CRAZY not to have on it now that it can actually bring them to bear so easily with jets, make it a pretty powerful cap ship killer.  You may not be able to go head to head with a Paragon or an Onslaught, but you can sure get behind them easy.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 04:14:37 PM by Commissar Krieg »

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 11:42:10 PM »

Well to be fair, just read the Conquests full name. The Conquest Class Battlecruiser

It is a Battlecruiser, its supposed to battle cruisers and below. Though it also is good vs other cap ships, with support.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 12:14:06 AM »

battlecruisers are made to battle cruisers?

damn... I never thought of it that way... surprisingly apt...
mmm.... tartiflette

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 01:25:10 AM »

Gotta say i didn't even notice that 53.1a was out. Now i need to go see if i can still do sinking the bis'mar its a great way to test things out whenever the onslaught changes. Burn drive made that mission very interesting. Hmm how much OP would it take to convert that frontal shield to an omni i wonder... would it be worth it for an onslaught?
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 01:50:13 AM »

I don't think the Bis'mar mission will be changed much (the Hyperion is even better now, so...), but the energy cannons are beastly against anything that gets in the way!

Update on Odyssey: I can just manage to solo Onslaughts in my dual plasma build, unless they spam rockets. In that case its completely impossible lol. The Odyssey hits like a brick, but it can't run from the Onslaught anymore - I wish turning on shields turned off HEF automatically, it takes some coordinate to get the shields up after quickly popping off shots.

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 07:09:52 AM »

The Astral is the worst 1vs1, but her true weapons are fighter wings. She can rearm 4 (four!) wings at the same time-
Wait, what?

The Astral has 3 flight decks.

Levik

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2012, 07:32:40 AM »

Too much shooting. It would be better like this
Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:44:40 AM by Levik »

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2012, 07:48:29 AM »

I am severely troubled by the complete absence of point defense systems demonstrated by the ships in that video. If missiles threatened your existence, you might devise a way to neutralize them, instead of tanking them in the face and hoping that the enemy runs out of ammo.

Not even a chance to fight back...

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2012, 10:56:26 AM »

The Astral is the worst 1vs1, but her true weapons are fighter wings. She can rearm 4 (four!) wings at the same time-
Wait, what?

The Astral has 3 flight decks.

Ooops, my bad.
I really thought she had 4 decks, but i don't use that ship so often.  :)
...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.
Pages: 1 [2] 3