Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Solution for Save Scumming  (Read 15092 times)

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Solution for Save Scumming
« on: August 16, 2012, 01:21:42 AM »

Easy Difficulty: No saving restrictions
Normal Difficulty: Save on planets/stations only (Escape Velocity style)
Hard Difficulty: No saves at all; game keeps exactly one autosave, which updates after every battle, accident, refit, and landing

Difficulty can be changed but then it labels your character using the lowest difficulty setting used.  If you want to keep "Hard" on your character, you have to load back up the hard mode autosave and continue from there.  This way, you can screw around on easy mode to have some fun but go back to the "true" path when you load back up.

Any questions?

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Solution for Save Scumming
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 01:27:06 AM »

Thanks for telling everybody that you have no self control. It is the players choice if he wants to exploit a system in the game. And that is something you cant fix, it is up to the player. And if you cant keep yourself from doing it, that just shows that you have no self control.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 01:31:52 AM »

That in no way pertains to my suggestion.  A player can use self-control on his difficulty setting, surely.

The main point I made is the "Hard" "Normal" "Easy" labeling on your char file.  It's a badge of valor for sticking to a particular path.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 01:40:16 AM »

A diffiiculty setting would be nice, but not just changing the saving. Something like this

Changing  the saving because people use it alot, would be like removing the console commands in Skyrim / Oblivion because alot of people use it.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 01:43:03 AM »

That thread is more-or-less what I suggested: a separate mode with no save scumming.

Thus, we have come to an agreement.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 01:51:47 AM »

The last thread on savescumming just got locked only 20 or so minutes before you created this one... Did we really have to create another one so quickly?

Normal Difficulty: Save on planets/stations only (Escape Velocity style)
Won't do anything: The players could just continually return to stations and planets at the end of each fight. So if something bad happens to them, chances are it won't take long for them to get back to where they were.

And in areas with neither planets or stations, it's actually slightly detrimental because, what happens if something suddenly comes up and you have to save immediately? Well, you're going to loose all your progress.

Anyway, I personally do not have any interest in this suggestion. Let's be honest, it is just labeling for how much someone challenges themselves, it doesn't actually do anything since we can already do everything in this suggestion, and thus it's not worth spending time working on.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 02:15:26 AM »

Thanks for telling everybody that you have no self control. It is the players choice if he wants to exploit a system in the game. And that is something you cant fix, it is up to the player. And if you cant keep yourself from doing it, that just shows that you have no self control.

STOP. I have had enough of the insulting tones that are too-often used in conversation when save-scumming is the topic. I have closed the immediately previous flamewar thread on this subject, and removed multiple problem posts. The next person or persons to step out of line here is going to receive forum discipline. If you cannot discuss this subject in a polite tone, don't post at all. That extends well beyond this thread and across the website as a whole.

For players who do have self-control -- in posting, that is, regardless of their save-scumming opinions -- kindly continue.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 02:32:59 AM »

Ok ok I went out of line there. No offense meant. Il strap myself down.

Its just that this has been brought up so many times lately.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 02:33:16 AM »

Anyway, I personally do not have any interest in this suggestion. Let's be honest, it is just labeling for how much someone challenges themselves, it doesn't actually do anything since we can already do everything in this suggestion, and thus it's not worth spending time working on.

A large part of good game design is an understanding of player psychology.  The label does matter.  A lot.  You'd be surprised how many people pride themselves on personal feats and achievements like that.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 02:34:23 AM »

I guess that if you want to play like this, you can just pretend its there and play as such.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 02:41:57 AM »

Do I really want something to restrict myself so that I can shine in my feats? Perhaps if it was a multiplayer hand, but since it is a singelplayer game, I couldn't give a ***. I mean, do you really want to stop players from exploiting a feature?  That denies people the freedom they want in this kind of game . Do you really want players to  loose progress just because of a stupid label that means less that nothing?

I'm firmly in the no camp on this one.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 02:47:33 AM »

The label does matter.  A lot.
Please explain further.

You'd be surprised how many people pride themselves on personal feats and achievements like that.
You don't need a label to make a personal achievement.

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 03:03:09 AM »

Were this a steam game with achievements, or just had achievements in general this might make more sense. I do have to note a few things though:

The label does matter.  A lot.
Please explain further.
He actually shouldn't have to explain much, seeing as how plenty of people have already expressed that a little label in the form of "Hardcore" DOES matter to them. It might not matter to you, and I don't blame you I agree, but people have made it clear that it does, in fact, matter to THEM. I guess it's an epeen thing.

Thus, I think it's a feature that could easily be added much later down the line. It's not really necessary, perhaps something that can be tacked on when the game is pretty much done. I see no reason not to if there isn't anything else that can be done.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 03:19:45 AM »

He actually shouldn't have to explain much,
Even if he doesn't have to, it's generally better to say more than "this is important" and not give a reason why.

seeing as how plenty of people have already expressed that a little label in the form of "Hardcore" DOES matter to them.
I myself haven't really seen it much or at all, though. At the very least from these forums.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 03:25:08 AM »

Were this a steam game with achievements, or just had achievements in general this might make more sense. I do have to note a few things though:

The label does matter.  A lot.
Please explain further.
He actually shouldn't have to explain much, seeing as how plenty of people have already expressed that a little label in the form of "Hardcore" DOES matter to them. It might not matter to you, and I don't blame you I agree, but people have made it clear that it does, in fact, matter to THEM. I guess it's an epeen thing.

Thus, I think it's a feature that could easily be added much later down the line. It's not really necessary, perhaps something that can be tacked on when the game is pretty much done. I see no reason not to if there isn't anything else that can be done.

as good as people wanting something is, i REALLY do not want my save options tied down to my difficulty level, as you can make an easy game hard by taking away the players ability to save where ever they please.

IMO, a box that opens up after character creation so you select which type of saving you would like is in order:

normal saving (IE: save anywhere at anytime), no combat auto save
auto save before and after combat, save anytime
auto save before and after combat, save only on exit
Pages: [1] 2 3