Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shift-2 won't bind properly  (Read 3848 times)

charlieb

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Shift-2 won't bind properly
« on: August 14, 2011, 09:19:31 AM »

I noticed that I could not set group 2 to autofire in any mission.
I tried to rebind all the shift-# keys to Ctrl-# and that worked and I can now autofire at will
I went back to the settings and tried to set them back to Shift-# on the off chance that rebinding would do the trick.
When I do Shift-2 is registers as Shift-AT.

Not the most serious bug in the world but it had me scratching my head for a bit.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 11:13:54 AM by charlieb »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Shift-2 won't bind properly
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 10:33:39 AM »

You know, I get that on the Ubuntu box I'm testing on, too. I think it's some kind of hardware or OS issue. Could be in the input library (LWJGL), though, but that seems unlikely.

I'd love to know if anyone else using Linux is running into the same problem (or NOT running into it). If it works on at least some other Linux machines, chances are it's a hw/OS problem. If not, then it'd point to the library as source of the problem.

Slowie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 05:50:49 AM »

Hey hey, I think I'm having a similar problem. I'm running Gentoo and the game doesn't seem to respond to any combination key anymore.

I cannot toggle autofire or strafe and I've been unable to change any of the key bindings to any combination of keys. I can change the binding to just shift, but not to Shift-1 etc. (Same for control)

The strange thing is that it worked before and at one time it stopped working. I can't recall when that happened or what I was doing, though.

BTW, I think it's been said before, but I really like this game :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 08:24:07 AM »

Hmm, this sounds a bit different (and odd). Have you tried redownloading the game just to make sure something didn't get corrupted?

Beyond that, the fact that it worked before would seem to indicate a problem with the system, though of course I can't say for sure. You haven't changed keyboards, have you?

Slowie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 12:20:34 PM »

I kind of figured it had something to do with my system.
I wrote a small launcher script which turned off KWin before starting the game to prevent changing the Virtual desktop in mid game. Without killing KWin (and switching to using just a single Desktop... I don't really need more than one anyway), everything works almost fine. Sorry for the hassle.

The only remaining is actual the problem mentioned in the first post. I can't set group two to autofire and when configuring the key bindings, it reports SHIFT-AT instead of SHIFT-2.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 12:47:33 PM »

The only remaining is actual the problem mentioned in the first post. I can't set group two to autofire and when configuring the key bindings, it reports SHIFT-AT instead of SHIFT-2.

Just to confirm - when you do that, and it's set to SHIFT-AT, and then you press SHIFT-2 in game, it still doesn't work? It seems like it should, since the code that picks up the key bindings in the settings screen and in the game is pretty much the same.

Using control as the modifier seems like it should work, too, and beyond that, you *could* assign some unmodified key to do the job, awkward as that would be.

Slowie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 01:09:19 PM »

Assigning SHIFT-AT instead of SHIFT-2 works fine. It's nice that you can assign two different key bindings for a single action, btw.