Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Armor Module  (Read 2642 times)

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
Armor Module
« on: August 09, 2012, 03:43:38 PM »

Pretty straight forward suggestion... I think it would be fun and cool if we could equip armor pieces on hardpoints instead of weapons.  Would be a small cost and benefit, like small slot armor giving 500 armor for 1 op, medium slot armor giving 1000 armor for 2 op, large slot giving 1500 armor for 3 op, without turning into a sprite piece that takes hull integrity damage (so that battleship with light armor won't go down because it's been shot at the light armor repeatedly).  When the armor runs out projectiles should just travel through it.  I thought about the armor giving hull integrity but figured it would be cooler if it literally worked like additional armor on top of the ship, meaning that it's very location specific (would be meaningless to have armor on hardpoint that's in center of the ship's sprite).  This means that some ships would work a lot better with this suggestion, like enforcer/medusa/auora because they all have lot of hardpoints in forward direction.

Main reason for thinking of this is because I'm a bit obsessed about filling out every slot or keeping ship loadout symmetrical, and often I found efficient loadouts force me to run lot of empty hardpoints which irritates me a lot every time I look at it.  Then I thought about just having armor placed in hardpoints for looks.  Then I thought it would be neat if they also offered bit of extra health and armor for the ships since hardpoints do look rather... fragile most of the time so having something sturdy covering it up would be good for the ship.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Armor Module
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 03:51:32 PM »

I think that a COSMETIC change to empty weapon slots would be a cool addition, but I'm not so sure on the armor modules, especially since we already have a hull mod that increases armor.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 08:14:47 PM »

I think that a COSMETIC change to empty weapon slots would be a cool addition, but I'm not so sure on the armor modules, especially since we already have an overpriced hull mod that increases armor and penalizes mobility.

Fixed that for you.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 06:26:18 AM »

Would be cool, individual armor platings that would protect the armor, i like it. But abit more expensive for 1000 armor that 2 OP.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 08:49:39 AM »

It should be possible to build a "weapon" that, if equipped, adds armor.  I think that's possible already, but it may require a hullmod to be active.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 08:54:38 AM »

Hrmm...I'm not sure there's any API methods that check to see if a specific weapon is equipped or not. If so then it would be easy, if not I can't think of a way.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 01:33:10 PM »

I think that a COSMETIC change to empty weapon slots would be a cool addition, but I'm not so sure on the armor modules, especially since we already have an overpriced hull mod that increases armor and penalizes mobility.

Fixed that for you.

That particular hull mod is a godsend on the Omen.

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 05:38:44 PM »

Would be cool, individual armor platings that would protect the armor, i like it. But abit more expensive for 1000 armor that 2 OP.

Yeah I just pulled those numbers out of my ass and it does look pretty broken.  Maybe far less armor like say 250 or something.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 08:57:46 PM »

If you actually meant *armor* and not *hull points* 250 is still ridiculous amount (more than any frigate has...)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 09:47:05 PM »

I think the lasher has 250? :P It might be interesting to install things other than strictly weapons on the mounts - the decision would be weapon, nothing (not spending OP), or armor/hull/stuff. Of course it also might really screw with some ships.