Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fantastic uses of ship systems.  (Read 6993 times)

Sarkovar

• Ensign
  • Oh god it's so beautiful.
    • View Profile
Fantastic uses of ship systems.
« on: August 02, 2012, 06:48:27 PM »

Clutch, or otherwise epic, uses of ship systems. Share them with the class.

My most epic use of a ship system (so far) was phase skimming my wolf through an asteroid to avoid a cluster of salamanders that were about to bang my engines to paste.
The Interstellar Federation: Laser free since '83. (except for the Jardain)

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Fantastic uses of ship systems.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 06:51:31 PM »

Hit and run squad with a couple of hyperions and phase teleporter. The AI is surprisingly good at using the teleporter to get into good locations and to get away.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 07:56:03 PM »

Yeah I've seen a medusa dart out of nowhere with the skimmer to frag one of my frigates...   >: |

Also the omen can lock down an afflictor. Hard counter almost.  :O
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 04:47:56 AM »

Currently using the Shade as my flagship. I was about to get the Aflictor seeing as it has superior stats. But when i noticed the Shade having the EMP unit I just had to buy it, and it is awesome. It is not much of an attack ship, but it is the best support ship EVER, just snoop around the flank of a ship your other ships are currently fighting and electrocute them, and then they are toast.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 05:02:18 AM »

omen running around behind an onslaught and pulverising the thing with EMP.
It's an interesting balance, frigates seem to get really cool ship systems to make for their slightly worse off weapons
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Alrenous

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 03:59:53 AM »

Point against AI: Onslaught burn drives away from its support and into range of all my Paragon's weapons. "Okay buddy, if you really wanna die that bad."

AI redeems itself: second Onslaught burn drives into range. "Well, <deleted>."

Remember ship system. "Fortress shield, please be good!"
First time, got out of range before I ran out of flux.
Second time, ordered my Onslaught to support me, whereupon it happily chewed through half the opposition while they banged uselessly on my shield.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 07:08:19 AM »

I was Burn Driving around in my Enforcer and chasing down fleeing ships on a trajectory that would have made me slam into my own Wolf at high speeds.

Nope. Wolf just calmly skims an inch to the left without missing a beat.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 08:06:22 AM »

Point against AI: Onslaught burn drives away from its support and into range of all my Paragon's weapons. "Okay buddy, if you really wanna die that bad."

AI redeems itself: second Onslaught burn drives into range. "Well, <deleted>."

I've noticed this with enforcers as well - they support each other really aggressively and use the burn drive to flank.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 01:55:39 PM »

i was flying about in my omen when suddenly i see the most terrifying thing come onto my screen. i knew he was in the battle but i didn't know where. suddenly a giant onslaught is burning towards me with his burn drives and im right in his path i barely manage to get out of the way before being rammed by the behemoth.

then i emp'd the crap out of  his rear until my Medusa showed up to help finish him off :D

just for the sake of testing i later ran a simulation of what would happen to an omen if rammed by a burn drive onslaught... it wasn't pretty for the omen. im glad i got out of there in time.

edit: recently left out the missiles for augged engines and its pretty fun zipping around at 230 speed in an emp'ing death machine :D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 08:39:27 PM by Doom101 »
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Sarkovar

• Ensign
  • Oh god it's so beautiful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 06:36:28 PM »

lol, nobody wins when a burn drive ship hits another burn drive ship trust me on this.
The Interstellar Federation: Laser free since '83. (except for the Jardain)

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 06:58:17 PM »

The bystander with AM blasters does

Squigzilla

• Commander
  • SQUIG Industries
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 09:53:44 PM »

I'm in love with the Hyperion's phase teleport -- I use it to save any ships in my fleet that are about to be overwhelmed.  Flock of Pilums incoming on an overloaded Medusa?  No problem, just teleport in front of the ship and eat all the missiles with shields/burst lasers :D
High Admiral Davian MacNaile of the SQUIG Industries Human Resources Motivational Flotilla

moontan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 08:12:29 PM »

Currently using the Shade as my flagship. I was about to get the Aflictor seeing as it has superior stats. But when i noticed the Shade having the EMP unit I just had to buy it, and it is awesome. It is not much of an attack ship, but it is the best support ship EVER, just snoop around the flank of a ship your other ships are currently fighting and electrocute them, and then they are toast.

a very nice ship to fly.

i got mine with 1 AM Blaster on a turret and 2 Tactical Lasers on the 2 other turrets.
the 2 hard points are empty to give me more hull mods and flux control.
the Tac lasers are for dealing with fighters.

you got to be careful not to stray too far from your fleet (for support) but it is quite fun to fly.

i think i'm gonna buy a second one and alternate them between battles when one gets damaged .  :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 08:20:25 PM by moontan »

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 10:04:58 PM »

Well, this isn't a fantastic use of a system, unless you count fantastically *bad*. =)

In this one particular battle, I was doing pretty well, killing all their ships with very minimal damage and things were looking good for a flawless victory. Then I noticed the enemy fleet deployed their Paragon. I and my capital ships would be able to handle the rest with no problems, so to be extra safe I told my Hyperions to retreat. Well, one of my Hyperions made a rather... dubious decision.

To its left, empty space and an easy escape. To the right and in the way of any potential escape, a Paragon. Want to guess which way it teleported?

What happened was, there was a Medusa between it and the edge of the map. So what did it do? Well, it teleported behind the Medusa and came out of the teleport facing said threat. Unfortunately, that left it smack in between the Medusa and the Paragon, leaving its backside fully exposed to the capital ship. As it turns out, having the full arsenal of a Paragon shoved up its tailpipe causes a Hyperion to evaporate rather quickly. And I got to watch the whole thing since it happened just a few hundred pixels from my ship. Paragons don't like to be mooned, apparently. =(

At least I got to see a pretty light show before I reloaded the save file.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 09:16:34 PM »

Hah. I just took out a tempest, wolf_CS, and afflictor with my shade and two hounds.  :D  I was chasing the afflictor and we kept dodging each others amblasters JUST barely, haha. It was tense. Of course he used way more flux than I did. So I won.  :)

EDIT: And it get's better. I can board the afflictor and tempest, haha.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:19:10 PM by icepick37 »
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire
Pages: [1] 2