Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blade's suggestions.  (Read 4206 times)

Blade Skydancer

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Blade's suggestions.
« on: July 05, 2012, 06:18:05 PM »

A few ideas have been running through my head since I've been playing Starfarer. I figured I might as well make an actual suggestion thread to pose my ideas in.

Weaponry in general:
Adding a couple more functions to weapons, and rename current ones. Basically, it'd be like this:
  • Charge Up: The amount of time in seconds that a weapon must wait before beginning its firing cycle. This would let us have Freespace style beam weapons that pre-charge before releasing a beam all at once.
  • Warmup: The amount of time in seconds it takes a weapon to reach full firing speed/power from the start of its firing cycle. In beams, it's the 'fade in' time that the current chargeup setting causes. For anything else, currently, it works as Charge Up does above. This would allow us to have gatling weapons that fire more shots as it warms up.
  • Cooldown: Functions the same as chargedown does currently; causes beam weapons to fade away, and causes non-burst style weapons to reload. For sustained fire weapons, this could let them slow down their firing rate before stopping.
  • Recharge: Functions like burstdelay, but works with any weapon. This would let us have constant beams that need to recharge after letting go of the mouse.
EMP: In just about every reference to EMP damage, it says it deals flux damage but that doesn't seem to be the case. That might be a holdover from an older version of the game, where ship systems couldn't be disabled, but I think it should make a return, or be another setting in weapons. Being able to add flux to an enemy, though a little at a time would make for some interesting tactical elements. But more than that, EMP weapons should be able to be quite effective against shields; at least in my opinion. At any rate, more options for modders to play with is more better, yes?

Armor:
A couple ideas sprung into my head for armor. And that was adding a deflect/absorb and penetration mechanic which would render weapons with low penetration effectively worthless against larger ships with more armor. Adding the Heavy Armor mod would make things less able to penetrate, and more apt to collide uselessly or bounce off. The other idea was splitting armor into quadrants. This would allow ships to be less armored to the sides and rear, and thus take more damage to those quadrants. Or whatever the ship designer desires.

Weapon AI:
All too often I've seen beam weapons fire just short of the target ship, because it thinks it's going to hit the shields when it doesn't. Well, I think the AI for any weapon should fire at the bounds of a ship, and not its shield dome. Speaking of shields...

Shields:
Two things. First: different styles of shielding. I like long, skinny ships, like WWII vessels, and with the perfectly round bubble shields, they tend to leave a lot of open space between the hull and the shield. It would be much nicer if you could have elliptical shields. Or even skin-tight barriers that appear along the bounds of the ship. That would be pretty cool. Second, the ability to use a more traditional shielding system. That is, bring shields up and they don't add to flux, and have their own HP that goes down when they suffer damage and slooooooowly recharges over the course of a battle. And when they reach 0, they collapse and can't be brought back up for a while.

Anyway, that's all I have for now, if I come up with more ideas, I'll post them here.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Blade's suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 07:47:18 PM »

Charge Up/Down are already implemented, cool down for beam weapons are in as well.  Heavy Armor hull modification adds a whole bunch more armor, rendering most weaker weapons virtually useless (unless there's a Broadsword wing lurking somewhere, it'll 6 LMGs will tear anything apart ;D) As for weapons AI, it depends on the veterancy of crew, the higher the veterancy, the more accurate the shot will be.  Maybe the crew is regular, and they tend to short just short of a ship moving at full speed.  Now, your shields part is the one I actually want.  Makes different shields more appealing to different ships, like the systems added in the next update.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Blade Skydancer

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 08:35:38 PM »

Charge Up/Down are already implemented, cool down for beam weapons are in as well.
Yeah, I know, but currently it means that beams fade in and out over the course. What I'm talking about is something like this:
Heavy Armor hull modification adds a whole bunch more armor
Well, yes, but anything can get through armor eventually, given enough time and ammunition.
As for weapons AI, it depends on the veterancy of crew, the higher the veterancy, the more accurate the shot will be.
This doesn't account for beams firing at a ship thinking they'll hit when they're just out of range and aren't hitting the ship at all; because of where its shield bubble is supposed to be. I've seen this happen to me on several occasions since I fly a long, thin-ish ship.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 09:48:36 PM »

At the moment armor does reduce damage, but the reduction is capped at 25% of post type damage (HE -> 50%, Kinetic -> 12.5%, frag -> 6.25% minimums of rated DPS). It would be fun to play around with that minimum to see how it changes gameplay - HE would be really the only thing capable of punching through armor - but I believe it is currently hardcoded.

I would like to have elliptical shields, but I would not like a traditional "HP" based shield system. Partly I think this system is superior, but mostly I think the two systems would just not mix.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 01:26:25 AM »

I think all of these suggestions are rather a good idea, as they allow beam weapons a lot more flexibility, which is exactly what they need
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Tarkets

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 12:36:27 PM »

If alex ever splits by mitosis the first thing I'd want the copy to add would be hitpoint shields, and hexagonal quadrant shields as well so I'm one step closer to Star Fleet Battlesfarer

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 02:14:56 PM »

We already have HP shielding. It's called armor. Yes, yes, I know it isn't the same, but if it were balanced, it would probably be close.

Shielding that would "hug" their ship a little better isn't a bad idea, as long as it doesn't take too much work to do.

Adding something to the game to give armor more efficiency is scary. It already takes quite a bit of fire to take down ships that have heavy armor (Enforcer, Dominator, Conquest), and this would make it even more difficult. As much as I love those ships, I'm going to have to say no.

I can't decide if I like the weapon rework or not. I guess I just don't really see what it adds to the gameplay.