Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: StarTreker - Star Trek mod on the 2500s (0.54.1a)  (Read 77354 times)

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: StarTreker - Star Trek mod on the 2500s
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 08:41:50 AM »

Just added a weapon update, now sitting on 182 weapons, still missing at list 80+ weapons.

I've done some balance on the weapon Type of damage, damage amount and flux cost.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 10:50:19 AM »

Its impossible to get realism, due to the way they set the weapon tiers on the movies and series, for example, Klingon Disruptors at the 2370s had up to MK 15 while Phasers had "type"s depending on the platform that fired (type 1 to 3 were hand weapons, while type 10 were station beam arrays), While it may seem much and its indeed overwhelming when your refitting a ship on missions. This is not true on the campaign, Stations will have different weapon families exclusively to that faction, this means that a Federation Station will only sell Phaser and Photon weaponry. Some weapons cannot be bought, but are still possible to get by killing off some special ships hoping they "drop" that weapon. There's also prototype weapons known as the MK 10, they are available to factions biggest ships, and rarely also on a smaller prototype ship.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 11:03:50 AM »

(dammit; the forum ate my previous post while I was editing it; sorry)

If you reliably limit particular families of weapons to individual races exclusively, then such a bewildering hyper-abundance of choice wouldn't be such an irritant. For my part, I would not want to be required to wade through over 262 gun choices every time I wanted to play. ;) Making the limit on a per-space station basis sounds like the only deployment-control method that we modders have access to right now in Starfarer; I'm glad you're making use of it. Hopefully finer-resolution methods will become available if we ask Alex politely enough.

Regarding the various "Marks" of incremental gun upgrades mentioned in the Trek canonical data: If one were to attempt to shoe-horn all of them into any particular mod, I think it would be extremely difficult to make every single one of them both tactically distinctive as well as useful. It quickly becomes a maze-like swamp of too much stuff that mostly identical; "distinctions without a difference," you know?

It's easy for some scriptwriter to toss off a fluffy, throwaway reference to something like a "Mark XXIV-j Very Heavy Ultralight New-Type Old Style Battle Beam [Only Fires On Wednesdays]" version. :D It's another matter entirely to find a meaningful role for such a beast, let alone the 23 marks prior to that one, in a battle-oriented game.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 04:18:20 PM »

True, also forgot to remind that they are also have different OP costs, as in, a MK 10 have a cost of 20 OP while MK 9 has 16 OP MK 8 has 15 OP and so on, so its not that hard to search for a particular weapon tier when all the most powerful but more costly will always be on the top of the list.

The fact that there are so many type of beam families has to do with the huge amount of factions/races in Star Trek but there are a few factions that share the same type of weapons, for example the Klingon, Romulan, Gorn and Nausicaans all use Disruptor weapons. The Borg in another case only have 2 ship weapons, but their ships probably will never be captured or if they do get captured they will be useless to the player where scraping a Borg ship will give out so much profit compared to running around on a ship with 0 OP.

While i do consider having 10 marks on a weapon type overbearing, the flux, damage and OP cost will always help when fitting something on a slot you couldn't place anything else after placing the strongest weapons on the rest of the slots.

I do hope more search options will be added to the refit, like a search bar, where writing Phaser would show only the weapons with "Phaser" on their names...

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 04:31:42 PM »

If all of the weapons are to be hidden, perhaps a universal set of visual markers on the weapons, to signify the mark at a glance.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 04:37:58 PM »

I wouldnt mind that, i actually thought about that many times... but what would i place in there, i'll be honest, i cant draw :D lol...

If the guys on Cryptic Studios (who made the Star Trek Online) would allow me to use their images like:

Phaser Beam Array

It would be so good.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:42:52 PM by silentstormpt »

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 04:44:06 PM »

Could you not just use the beam/projectile as the weapon "sprite" with the mark number (like in STO there) to signify which it is? So you have a phaser beam with VII in one of the corners for a Mk 7 phaser

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 04:49:14 PM »

It could look pretty damned wierd if you mounted the laser to a non-star trek ship. A floating laser, with a number in the corner, that can pewpew lasers. I think having visual marker on the weapon system itself would be better.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 05:03:40 PM »

Weapons can have icons, right? I forget

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 05:08:20 PM »

Why not message them, I'm sure they will at least message you back. They've been pretty decent to me in the past when someone hacked me...

Edit: Ok to contact them about licensing go to their official website then hover over contact and press business put in the details of why and your contact details.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 05:13:04 PM by Pelhamds »

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 01:52:26 PM »

added Breen warship

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Breen_warship

its a cruiser for the new mission i added as well, there is a planned special ship system based on the EMP Alex is adding on the 0.53 that will act as a http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Energy_dissipator thats the Breen "trademark"

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 01:14:06 PM by silentstormpt »

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 05:04:19 PM »

Hey guys, ive been missing due to RL work but right now i should have some free time to update this at list so we can run it on this version and with some special systems running.

The problem is, its crashing due to a repeated id and i got no idea where its coming from, i spended quite some time trying to get it running with no luck.

The special systems are right now the same one made by Alex for the original game with some renames, also tried to make the Phase Cloak look like an actual Cloak, with a star trek sound on cloak and decloak.

So... could anyone help figure it out.

I also have no idea how to change the engine colors, i did see how to change it but not how i implement it into the ships i got...

Just download the mod from the SVN and try running it, it should crash and give you a detailed log...

The log:
Code
3878 [Thread-6] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore  - Loading ship system [D:\Jogos\Starfarer\starfarer-core\data\shipsystems\emp.system]
3878 [Thread-6] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [D:\Jogos\Starfarer\starfarer-core\data\shipsystems\emp.system]
3898 [Thread-9] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore  - Compiling script [data.missions.thelasthurrah.MissionDefinition]
3955 [Thread-9] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore  - Compiling script [data.missions.direstraits.MissionDefinition]
4019 [Thread-9] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore  - Compiling script [data.missions.predatororprey.MissionDefinition]
4098 [Thread-9] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore  - Compiling script [data.missions.sinkingthebismarck.MissionDefinition]
4184 [Thread-9] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore  - Compiling script [data.missions.nothingpersonal.MissionDefinition]
4266 [Thread-9] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore  - Compiling script [data.missions.coralnebula.MissionDefinition]
4283 [Thread-6] INFO  com.fs.profiler.Profiler  - ID     Calls   Duration    Percent
4283 [Thread-6] INFO  com.fs.profiler.Profiler  - --------------------------------
4285 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.D  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Spec of class [com.fs.starfarer.loading.specs.Z] with id [emp] already exists
java.lang.RuntimeException: Spec of class [com.fs.starfarer.loading.specs.Z] with id [emp] already exists
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore.Ô00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.oOoO.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.A.oOOO.new(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.D.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 05:11:01 PM »

Looks like you haven't changed the id of the system

Strifen

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2012, 05:13:50 PM »

Cursory glance, seem like your problem would be
The special systems are right now the same one made by Alex for the original game with some renames,
Quote from: code
4285 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.D  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Spec of class [com.fs.starfarer.loading.specs.Z] with id [emp] already exists
java.lang.RuntimeException: Spec of class [com.fs.starfarer.loading.specs.Z] with id [emp] already exists
forgetting to rename one somewhere (EMP system), I may be wrong.

Edit I - Not sure how to download, but looking through the svn, I'd say Try going into 'energydissipator.system' and changing
"id":"emp",
    "type":"EMP",
    "aiType":"EMP",
into
"id":"energydissipator",
    "type":"EMP",
    "aiType":"EMP",

Making changes to both 'type'-s as you see fit, as I am still unsure as to how systems work

Edit II - came back to edit in a part about changing the .csv id, but then I remembered the part about this being a full conversion, and me not knowing too much on how handling the 'Replace X with Y' goes about, it occurs I may just be retracing steps you've taken in trying to fix the problem, my Apologies if that is so.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 05:36:35 PM by Strifen »

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2012, 05:44:44 PM »

Ive tried that, it didnt work and gave me the exact same error so i ended up leaving as emp again, the reason i got the actual file was to change the color and the name that it shows...

As for the SVN, you can download a program that allows you to update a folder with all the files on the server, everytime i make an update instantly, so it allows anyone, to see what i updated, control what they want to download and ofc download the new files or missing files.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10