Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Author Topic: make more factions make bases in space  (Read 247 times)

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
make more factions make bases in space
« on: October 19, 2024, 01:45:57 PM »

Sindrian Diktat could be forming bases to raid planets to extradite political dissidents. Hegemony could build bases to create patrols that would observe Remnants and pirate/Pather activity. Tri-Tachyon could make bases to around planets with ruins to tech-mine them for resources (these resources then could be made less sparse as they wouldn't be as easily exploitable due to there being competition now) or something. Persean League could make bases around planets with rich resources to harvest them for their grand armada...

But these could possibly be interchangeable.

Sindrian Diktat - ruins, extradition
Persean League - mining, peacekeeping
Luddic Church - peacekeeping, extradition
Hegemony - mining, peacekeeping
Tri-Tachyon - mining, ruins

Any outer station can lay an offense against another station. For example a mining Tri-Tachyon station will send out a small expedition to disrupt an extradition station belonging to the Sindrian Diktat when in conflict.

Stations between factions that are at peace may create synergistic relationships. For example Persean League may send out a peacekeeping fleet to a Tri-Tachyon mining station.

Mercenaries would be employed to protect stations, the longer a station would survive the stronger it would become and the more profits it would bring.

etc. etc. etc.

Bungee_man

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: make more factions make bases in space
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2024, 04:21:21 PM »

I do like the idea of there being more stuff out there, especially more dangerous stuff. My first run, I found an LP base, and assumed that it was going to be very important in some way, and that lots of other things were out there waiting to extort or attack me. That story mission with the system full of aggressive mercenaries solidified that idea.

I'd like to see things like that. Maybe not respawning, but pick X systems at the start of the game, some of them have Diktat black sites for high-value dissidents (you could blackmail them for money, keep their secret and/or run prisoner exchange missions for rep and other rewards, or try to free the prisoner for reputation and a bounty from the faction that was sponsoring their activities), some have secret Tri-Tachyon research areas (you could buy ships and weapons with high reputation, or raid them for high-end gear and blueprints, but would be attacked on sight at insufficiently high rep), some have Hegemony bases that investigate Remnant systems and cite the player for ignoring warning beacons, and maybe there are some League colonies out there that mine the local system in search of superweapons that will tip the scales (accepting money from the player in exchange for anything that's not of immediate use to them). Could have a hidden Church reformist colony that can be strongarmed into joining the player faction (starting with Luddic Majority and some stability penalty, but on a highly-desirable world), sold out to the authorities, or traded with.

There could be rare supply runs to these systems that a player could follow through hyperspace, but they'd confront the player if he stayed in detection range for too long while outside of the core.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2024, 04:23:36 PM by Bungee_man »

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: make more factions make bases in space
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2024, 04:47:38 PM »

@Bungee_man

Sounds too convoluted...

Designing quests like these could make the player feel too important and ruin the general immersion of the Persean Sector being a big place with a variety of people... Which is kinda why I dislike the current Crisis system. It makes the player feel too big.

Also, the system I kinda... Thought about was meant to be quite simple to save development time. And also it was supposed to be a repeatable thing. Not just "generate random colonies", cause then there wouldn't be really much a player could do to affect it, without it immediately becoming non-existent. Which is the issue with the current Core Worlds (cannot be meaningfully affected) and Crisis (immediately ends, causing the playthrough to become unobstructed, thus boring). However, truth be told repeatable systems in this game are kinda difficult to execute as travel is very time costly... So, maybe the system I was thinking of would only be viable with my tweak of increasing all movement speed by 2... And on top of that my change to the size of systems I had prepared would affect this too...

This was also meant to make factions appear more similar. Than different. Showing that they have enough in common with each other to eventually achieve peace. For example Luddic Church sending out patrol groups to a Tri-Tachyon mining colony. And with what you propose, it would further drive that these factions are completely alien to each other. Making long-term communication between them and harmony more and more unbelievable. Thus reinforcing the idea that the only solution for the Sector is for the player to take the wheel and nuke everyone. With the story the game is trying to tell appearing dissociated from reality... Reality of the game. Gameplay reinforcing the story.