Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Author Topic: Ships getting stuck at the edge while retreating in combat  (Read 552 times)

Smellyghost

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Ships getting stuck at the edge while retreating in combat
« on: October 13, 2024, 08:16:58 AM »

Hello, I tried looking up this issues but didn't find anything. I am wondering a few things about when a ship gets "stuck" at the edge of the combat map. An example of a "stuck ship" has a clear path and has maybe started the "retreat burn". I have often seen ships get stuck in this "retreat burn" state, which can sometimes be triggered by canceling the retreat command around when the "retreat burn" initiates. A "stuck ship isn't always in the "retreat burn" state but both are usually uncontrollable and stuck trying the edge trying to retreat. I don't know if there is some game mechanic that can "ensnare" retreating ship or if this is a bug. This issue has also occurred when manually controlling a retreat. My current strategy in my playthrough relies on hit and run tactics and when ships have a clear path to retreat and instead get stuck at the edge and die is very frustrating.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ships getting stuck at the edge while retreating in combat
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2024, 09:26:24 AM »

Hi - thank you for the report! It's funny that this hasn't come up before, but looks like canceling a retreat after the burn has already started will get a ship bouncing against the border. Ordering a retreat again should fix this, btw - well, in the sense that it'll allow the ship to retreat.

Just fixed this up to make sure ships don't get into this scenario - they'd be able to retreat and not get held up by the map border even if the order is cancelled after the burn starts.

I'm not sure about other scenarios that might cause this, though; in particular I don't know how you'd run into this when doing a manual retreat - unless I guess you do that, then cancel it from the map?

Smellyghost

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2024, 09:43:12 AM »

Yes, re-issuing the retreat command after the ship "gets stuck bouncing on the edge" fixes that particular issue. My main issue is ships under ai and being issued the retreat command and getting stuck at the edge similar to the previous issue. While I'm not entirely sure, this issue seems to happen when I am retreating with a cluster of ships, usually while being surrounded by enemy ships. When I retreat ships in a more singular fashion, this issue doesn't seem to occur or at least not nearly as often. Regarding getting stuck while manually retreating, I didn't do any canceling, ship got stuck at the edge similar to the canceling of the retreat order. Sorry if I'm being to vague, this is something that I haven't really been able to reliably replicate myself. I appreciate all your hard work :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2024, 10:26:40 AM by Smellyghost »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2024, 10:58:44 AM »

Hmm, I'll keep an eye out for this and see if maybe something comes to mind as far as why this might happen. There's also a possibility that the fix I put in would address these cases, too, since it's a fairly general-purpose fix.

(Just to make sure: this is vanilla, right?)

Smellyghost

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2024, 05:03:57 PM »

Yes, this is unmodded vanilla on the 0.97a release.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2024, 05:19:33 PM »

Thank for confirming, I appreciate it!

Smellyghost

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2024, 06:26:30 PM »

Your welcome and may I say I was surprised at how fast I got a reply, keep up the good work!