Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Starlight's Starships, v0.9.7.1 (Faction Standings, HullMods, minor fixes.)  (Read 71293 times)

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starlight's Starships, v0.8.3.4 (Big Cleanup Round 2 - big changes)
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2012, 11:54:28 AM »

Modding is its own reward.  ;D

This. And I also would like to say, that you´ve come a loong way, since you first posted your ships, so keep up the good work! :)

And.. anyone alse noticed how only "modders" are replying now, sometimes... i get a feeling only other modders take a look at my mod (personally), hope its not true in general.. but just found it funny.  :D

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile
Re: Starlight's Starships, v0.8.4.5 (Cleanup Round 3, +2 Hullmods)
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2012, 08:58:27 PM »

Modding is its own reward.  ;D

This. And I also would like to say, that you´ve come a loong way, since you first posted your ships, so keep up the good work! :)

And.. anyone alse noticed how only "modders" are replying now, sometimes... i get a feeling only other modders take a look at my mod (personally), hope its not true in general.. but just found it funny.  :D

Thankyou kindly, I appreciate the encouragement.  Honestly the kind words of yourself and other modders have been quite a reassurance. 

It does seem funny that only modders are commenting on mods at the moment, but as was pointed out in a thread in General Discussion, there's a bit of slow down going on at the moment it seems, which seems mostly due to people waiting for more to be done with the game itself.  The chap who introduced me to Starfarer is waiting for character development or exploration to open up.  Another friend of mine doesn't plan on buying the game until the Outposts tab does something.  Nothing unreasonable about that, they're waiting for the game that Starfarer will become, whilst modders are kind of making their own fun. z: )

Anyways!

Update:

This... was a bit of a pain.  I'm needing multiple lists now:

Hull Mods:

Finally decided to give these a look. Enjoyed making the images for them as much as anything. 

• Focussed Shields
Reduces Shield Arc by 40% but increases Hardness by 20%.  Combines well with Hardened Shields, combines very poorly on a Frontal Shield with Omni Shield Emitters and will leave you with 10% shield arc due to the way that Shield Arc is determined.  This hull mod is kind of a test for attempting an active, toggleable Ship System version of this when that content becomes available, at which point I may remove it - or if I can figure out how to get it to apply a 50% penalty seperately to the Omni Shield (and thus leaving 0%, seriously) I'll leave it in. 
  • Overdriven Engines
I thought this game desperately needed more ways to juice up your ship for more engine power.  Speed is everything, after all. Especially early on.  Augmented Engines is also often far too big of an investment in terms of OP.  This its little sibling, a hot-rod tune-up for your starship engines, which grants that little extra edge in speed.. at the cost of a handful of of OP and half of your drive's hitpoints. Those manufacturer-recommended limiters turn out to have actual safety implications after all. 
[/list]

Ships:

Just cleaning up today.

• Ocelot, Swift, Thrush, Finch
Sharpened and cleaned and redetailed all of these.  They're all more consistent with the Vulpine as a group and I think better defined in general.  I hope.  Also corrected the Torpedo-Slots in the Bow Armour on all those which have them - especially the Ocelot, which now properly reflects its bow torpedo arnament. 
  • Corrected the Acernodon and Kipper's Missiles
My missile-armed fighters needed their missiles re-aligned now that I know how to do hardpoints properly. 
[/list]

Weapons:

More cleaning... LOTS more cleaning.  Ahh... the numbers...

• Corrected ALL Hardpoint emitter points.
Since I recently discovered that the Y co-ordinate on Hardpoints is set on the first half of the first half of the image (so 6 out of 24 instead of 12 out of 24 is considered Y0) I pretty much had to fix every emitter/offset point for every weapon.  Including on the MIM-16 launcher which shows all 16 micromissiles.  After I was done with this, I'm sure a part of my brain had died. 
  • Fixed MIM Sprites
They were kind of sloppily done.  I've put quite a bit more effort in now and made proper hardpoint versions too.
  • Fixed CCTS Sprites
Made proper hardpoint images for most launchers and re-did the R-CCTS-64 Medium-size launcher entirely, to properly represent it's 8-torp volley.  This change is represented on the hull of the Ocelot, too.
[/list]

DOWNLOAD:

Starlight; Vulpine Space-Adventurer.  Fond of lasers.

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile
Re: Starlight's Starships, v0.8.5.5 (New Weapons)
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2012, 08:01:41 PM »

Just a small update today. 

Refitted the Acernodon Heavy Fighter after some testing concerning a new mod that I've been working on. 

I've added a new weapon to the Plasma Bolt Cannon Arsenal, the HPBC or Heavy. 

Reasonably flux efficient (if you have the spare flux) this cannon fires an explosive bolt of plasma which can cause some decent collateral.  However the weapon's weight and long charging times make it difficult to use effectively. 

Introducing the Hypervelocity Magnetc Impellors:

Not the most efficient or powerful of weapons, they can none-the-less prove very practical.  Blurring the lines between beam and machine guns (but ultimately requiring the power setup of an energy mount) the HMI system causes Kinetic damage in a 'slow-beam' like fashion by hyperaccelerating small grains of magnetic metals, such as iron or copper and spraying them in a tight jet at opposing vessels.  This system does not work in an atmosphere due to the ease with which the jet can be disrupted by atmospheric resistance and the low individual mass of the grains, but in the virtually resistance-free environment of space, these grains maintain their course and velocity beautifully and can prove very effective at 'sand-blasting' and overloading enemy shield systems. 

...and here's the download link.  Today it's a moving target to train your reflexes.  You're welcome. z: )

DOWNLOAD

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2012, 03:55:30 PM »

Elite crewed starhunters put the FEAR in me. They're on my side and they're still horrifying, love those things, a pair on my game just solo'd a falcon without a problem.

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2012, 06:26:25 PM »

Elite crewed starhunters put the FEAR in me. They're on my side and they're still horrifying, love those things, a pair on my game just solo'd a falcon without a problem.

Heheh, nice.  I'm glad to hear you've gotten some good use out of them.  I have to admit that I haven't tried putting Elite crew in them.  I always worry about putting my best crew in relatively vulnerable strike vessels.  Though with Green and Regular crew the Starhunter definitely underperforms.  Naturally now I'm worried that despite my efforts the Starhunter might be overpowered if a pair handled a cruiser
- but the Elite crew definitely changes things and makes me give them the benefit of the doubt. 

Oh well, I'm just going to have to test them some more, eh?   *Loads Starfarer.*  z: )

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2012, 07:15:20 PM »

The Fleet Point cost for them seems to be pretty low, but you have to keep in mind that they were fighting a ship that isn't exactly an anti fighter expert. I'd think that due to their ability to rearm and repair and their frigate like damage output capability they should be around the price of mid range frigates. I do like them at their current power level and I don't think a damage or durability nerf is necessarily the best thing for it since it's a specialized unique ship.

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2012, 07:59:08 PM »

The Fleet Point cost for them seems to be pretty low, but you have to keep in mind that they were fighting a ship that isn't exactly an anti fighter expert. I'd think that due to their ability to rearm and repair and their frigate like damage output capability they should be around the price of mid range frigates. I do like them at their current power level and I don't think a damage or durability nerf is necessarily the best thing for it since it's a specialized unique ship.

Aye, you're probably right.  It's admission for me to make to myself so honestly I think I had to be told.  It's a pain to admit it because one of the whole reasons for introducing Corvettes was to introduce them at for a low OP choice of ship.  Though even after nerfing the earlier versions, these are at least a 4 OP ship choice.  I may change them to that in the next update. 

Perhaps if I made some low-tech Corvettes without shields they'd be justified for lower OP costs.  That way these Corvettes would be justified at around 4 OP for the Starhunter and Starhail as being at the top of their range in the same way that the best frigates cost more then the worst Destroyers.  Those wouldn't fit with the current faction though.  I wonder if it might be about time I started another.  Honestly, I think Starfarer needs more pirate/hostile factions...

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2012, 01:49:44 AM »

I'm a big fan of more 'vettes! After a bit more playing (still with the two I had earlier plus a vigilance) I went up against 3 frigates and a fighter squadron (all mod ships so I forget specifically which) and I barely pulled that one off, I don't think the falcon kill was too surprising since you can solo one with a well piloted lasher.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2012, 10:14:56 PM »

Starlight, I don't get to play the game these days (too busy outside of it), but I like checking back to see how your creation is evolving and fluctuating. I'm proud of what you're striving to do with your mod, and I don't want you to falter or lose heart. Bless you, you're really doing the Lord's work; the Lord of War, that is (heh-heh).

Honestly, I think Starfarer needs more pirate/hostile factions...

Oh, I agree fully -- I've heard that the Hegemony's guns actually get cold for the approx. 10 minutes that they're not otherwise being used all day long against the other worthless space scum, and we can't have that happen! Please to be placing moar villainous creeps in those Dominators' targeting sights, thankyewverramuch. 8)

The Hegemony petty officers who man the big ships' tactical acquisition grids are especially fond of the sort of creeps whose shields wobble even after a few seconds of just the precursor tracking lasers painting them -- let alone the Hephaestus salvo that's about fifteen milliseconds behind.

What's that? Oh, thanks; we'll be sure to send you a barrel of your favorite adult beverage on your next birthday. Those creeps are fun, yeah, but they're just cream-puffs; no teeth. Hounds, the occasional Gemini -- just star trash, really. No guts.

Not at all like your ships. We'd hate to go up against those.....one hears, you know, stories..... [-shudder-]
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2012, 09:21:32 AM »

is it compatilble with umozes corvus

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2012, 09:25:44 AM »

I ran them together without a problem, Starlight was even nice enough to include hostility to some of the unique factions in it so they won't just ignore all the mod factions.

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2012, 06:00:35 PM »

Starlight, I don't get to play the game these days (too busy outside of it), but I like checking back to see how your creation is evolving and fluctuating. I'm proud of what you're striving to do with your mod, and I don't want you to falter or lose heart. Bless you, you're really doing the Lord's work; the Lord of War, that is (heh-heh).

Yes and I do prefer it my way. z: ) 

Heheh, whether it's right or wrong, Starlight in Corvus is making a little empire for himself out of his reproduced recovered tech.  Making constant refinements. 

Thanks for the reassurance, it's good to know that I have managed to attract some interest.  It definitely provides some motivation to keep improving and making new content.  It certainly helps to love starships and technical stuff, too.  z: )

I like making this mod for myself, but it's all the more satisfying to know that I'm makig it for others to enjoy as well. 

Honestly, I think Starfarer needs more pirate/hostile factions...

Oh, I agree fully -- I've heard that the Hegemony's guns actually get cold for the approx. 10 minutes that they're not otherwise being used all day long against the other worthless space scum, and we can't have that happen! Please to be placing moar villainous creeps in those Dominators' targeting sights, thankyewverramuch. 8)

The Hegemony petty officers who man the big ships' tactical acquisition grids are especially fond of the sort of creeps whose shields wobble even after a few seconds of just the precursor tracking lasers painting them -- let alone the Hephaestus salvo that's about fifteen milliseconds behind.

What's that? Oh, thanks; we'll be sure to send you a barrel of your favorite adult beverage on your next birthday. Those creeps are fun, yeah, but they're just cream-puffs; no teeth. Hounds, the occasional Gemini -- just star trash, really. No guts.

Not at all like your ships. We'd hate to go up against those.....one hears, you know, stories..... [-shudder-]

I'm a big fan of more 'vettes! After a bit more playing (still with the two I had earlier plus a vigilance) I went up against 3 frigates and a fighter squadron (all mod ships so I forget specifically which) and I barely pulled that one off, I don't think the falcon kill was too surprising since you can solo one with a well piloted lasher.

Heheh.  I may not have been as active as usual, but I've not been as inactive as I've seemed.  I don't want to give anything away...

...but watch this space. z: )

I ran them together without a problem, Starlight was even nice enough to include hostility to some of the unique factions in it so they won't

I use Uomoz Corvus quite a lot myself.  Just upgraded to the new version and started new pilots. It's vastly improved the game experience and I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Recently tried the ASP Ships and Missions Mod, (Topic name inc: Green Sun and other factions) but that causes some kind of conflict.  I couldn't quite figure out what, but the game gave a null_weapon_slot_id error whenever I opened the section of my Shipyard containing Destroyers.  I checked the id's over several times (as well as doing some needed work sorting out weapon groups and their autofire status) and could see no reason why the conflict would be thrown on that specific section and no other.  I disabled the ASP mods and the conflict disappeared.  Still haven't found a cause.

Anyways, have to do some work this weekend on making sure this roof stays over my head, but more stuff is definitely coming. 

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile

So, today I was so tired and bothered that modding Starfarer was pretty much all I could be bothered to do, but honestly, I'm pleased with the results.  New mod content is somthing I can get my teeth into. z: )

So!

Introducing the Jade Claw Cartel!  This mysterious organisation appeared from no-where to spread insidiously about the dark corners of the sector.  It's leadership is unknown but it seems intent upon warring constantly with Starlight's Shipyards.  Utilising bought vessels, captured vessels manufactured by Starlight and a number of its own apparent designs not seen in any known history files, prompting suspicion that the Cartel may be more then a merely vicious and pervasive pirating and smuggling ring.  

They have, so far:
Allegiances set up, a station, resupply and fleets in the campaign.
2 of their own Destroyers.
2 wings of their own Fighters.
2 of their own Corvettes.

There's more to come and more awaiting development.  The Kraken and Obsidian are both kind of awaiting the arrival of Ship's Systems for further development. z: )

Feedback is as always wanted and welcome.

Anyways, here's the updated parade and download link:

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:50:04 AM by Starlight »

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile

Yes, another update today. z: )

The lack of sleep has been telling apparently, because I had to rebalance the Jade Claw Cartel's Destroyers a bit.  No way they should have been that fast.

I also forgot to mention that I did a lot of little things as well, such as fixing default weapon groups for pretty much every ship variant, I fixed the Convoy for the Starlight faction since it wasn't supplying any TIR weapons (whoopsie.)  Done a fair bit of fine tuning all around, some other ships have had their mobility slightly adjusted, such as the Ocelot and Finch.

I've added a few new things whilst I was at it;

A Cartel Frigate in widespread use, the Wyvern's advanced, adaptable engineering, powerful engines and solid build make it a reliable choice.  Despite suspiciously mid-line looking technology, no record exists of this ship at any point in known history and it is suspected to be an original design by the Jade Claw Cartel.  How this is possible is a mystery and the Cartel are not telling.

The Jade Claw Cartel's main interceptor, used to chase down and disable fleeing ships as well as tackle enemy fighters.  The Lamprey is another of the Jade Claw Cartel's apparently original designs.  It isn't known where these are produced, but the simple and brutal little fighter has appeared in surprising numbers. 

The I-LPBC and DI-LPBC are (Dual) Ionlised Light Plasma Bolt Cannons, a Jade Claw Cartel re-engineering of captured Starlight-tech LPBC's, modified to deliver disruptive shocks to the enemy at the expense of flux efficiency and damage.  A few of these are finding their way back to Starlight, too. 

All feedback welcome!

Comedy fun moving link!

DOWNLOAD

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile

I'm posting this here because I want my big new update to be at the top of the next page.  Terribly sorry about that.   In case anyone does notice/care, I'll add some content:

The Starfarer known as Starlight was typical of many a space-drifter.  He had worked his way up to posession of a Falcon class Cruiser, which, being of a handy bent, he organised his crew into re-engineering during long FTL flights into the uncharted regions of the sector and the dark space between systems where valuable resources may still hide.  Ever extending the endurance and performance of the vessel, the crew struck out deep.

Eventually, by sheerest chance, far away from any known historical traffic lane, in the dark of inter-system space, amidst a drift of forsaken rocky debris, the ship's jury-rigged long-range sensors registered an incredibly strong metallic return.

It was here in the dark where Starlight found it;  A vast drifting hulk.  A space-borne industrial arcology, rent open by some ancient violent cataclysm, it's vast hulk peppered with the craters from exotic energy weapons discharge.  Of its apparently human makers, there was no sign but drifting ash in the vacuum. 

Entering the depths of the hulk, moving through the dusty haze left by its former inhabitants and their living spaces, floating through that vaporised, burnt remnants of long-forgotten life suspended like a mist of forgotten memories, Starlight found his fortune, at the very least.

It isn't known what happened on that hulk.  It isn't known what killed half of Starlight's trusted crew and tore his Falcon asunder.  It's known only that Starlight returned to civilisation with a vessel almost unrecognisable as half of a Falcon, patched together with unknown midline technology. 

Starlight apparently called in every favour he had and even as hungry corporate and governance eyes fell upon and begun to take a look at the curious equipment on his salvaged starship, he was soon off again into the depths of space, calling upon his friends and allies to aid in the obfuscation of his trail as he mounted an opportunistic expedition. 

Nothing was heard of Starlight for many months.  That was until he opened for business. 

In a quiet portion of an asteroid belt just off the beaten track, Starlight had quietly built an industrial complex in the midst of the heavy mostly-iron rocks.  Making use of retrieved manufacturing equipment and the local space-borne resources, he and his allies had quickly built up a little shipbuilding empire, self-sufficient and well defended with newly constructed ships and an extensive network of traps and sensors.

Starlight was no longer worth the trouble to attack, not with things they way they were and besides, if the mega-corporations and government bodies wanted access to these newly rediscovered technologies, it was now cheaper to buy then to try and take. 

The Ark itself has never been found by anyone else and Starlight, despite some serious efforts having been made over the years, isn't telling. 

Starlight mostly keeps to himself, building up his little industrial asteroid community, where a liberal attitude usually holds sway, but troubles are not welcomed.  He has been known to actively intervene where slavers and pirates are concerned however.

The Jade Claw Cartel appeared around a year after Starlight opened for business.  Spreading insidiously about the sector, the Cartel made a fortune with ingenious boot-legging and black-marketing schemes.  Soon, worringly, they were everywhere.

The Jade Claw Cartel has been Starlight's most active opponent, continually stepping up both overt and covert warfare against the Shipwright and his community.  Over recent years, they have apparently begun to manufacture their own ships. 

Experts are unable to determine where these designs came from, but they share some design principles with Starlight's retrieved technologies - as well as with technologies far more recently developed.  It is not known has this has been accomplished or by exactly whom, as much of the Cartel's upper structure can only be guessed at. 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8