Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Codex Overhaul (05/11/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mothballed Tugs should not increase sensor profile  (Read 1036 times)

winnie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Mothballed Tugs should not increase sensor profile
« on: May 07, 2024, 02:22:25 PM »

So Ox Tug has hull mod "Drive Field Stabilizer" which increases speed by 1 and adds 200 to sensor profile. It makes sense for it to work only when you are using it. When it is mothballed, and you aren't getting +1 speed bonus, then it should not increase your visibility as well.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Mothballed Tugs should not increase sensor profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 02:38:21 AM »

agreed... If this applies to Phase Ships not modifying your phase profile. Then this just feels like a punch down at the player.

Though, I need to double check if that's the case. Cause I never used tugs, I literally don't know. (that's cuz I'm sneaky-beaky)

Phenir

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2024, 05:45:22 AM »

(that's cuz I'm sneaky-beaky)
You can still be sneaky with tugs if they have insulated engines especially smodded.

winnie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2024, 01:34:47 PM »

You can still be sneaky with tugs if they have insulated engines especially smodded.

Interesting, I always went with Efficecny. But I didn't consider adding S-mods.

And I didn't use stealth a lot.

Beep Boop

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2024, 02:13:03 AM »

S-Mod Insulated Tugs are pretty much a requirement if you want to do any sneaking, especially since sneaking has sort of a hard breakpoint limit, where stealth is only useful if you can reduce your detection radius to below two planetary radii. Otherwise there is no way to not be spotted as the detection radius of a patrol positioned anywhere around the planet covers the entire planet with no blind spots. If you use alternate methods like sensor-array hacking to sneak in, then stealth is irrelevant again.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2024, 02:49:53 AM »

I don't do a lot of stealth, but when I do, I use Phase Ships, cause I'm a TT main

edit: but I did at some point reduced min profile range to like 100 and significantly decreased emittance range of all ships to see what would happen. It was amazing... It felt like u were actually alone in space in constant fear of bumping into someone. It also made those weird smuggling fleets make sense, because usually they just sneak around in the open comically waiting for someone to kill them.

avg smuggler fleet
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 02:55:08 AM by Killer of Fate »

Princess_of_Evil

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2024, 03:03:12 AM »

I mean, the other way is to use a cruiser swarm (or capitals with field drive hullmod). You can absolutely stay within the 9 speed range with more than enough viability and near-zero profile. Especially if you use Revenants.
Proof that you don't need to know any languages to translate, you just need to care.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2024, 03:11:13 AM »

I mean, the other way is to use a cruiser swarm (or capitals with field drive hullmod). You can absolutely stay within the 9 speed range with more than enough viability and near-zero profile. Especially if you use Revenants.
yeah, but if you are using a fleet with Support Doctrine, you ought to keep those ship slots for spam support vessels. And if you are having a powerful late game fleet, sneaking doesn't really matter that much, because you can usually kill anything and if you can't, just spend an s-point to run away.

Princess_of_Evil

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2024, 03:15:29 AM »

Uhh, if you have a small fleet, then you don't need or want tugs in the first place?
Proof that you don't need to know any languages to translate, you just need to care.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2024, 03:24:43 AM »

Uhh, if you have a small fleet, then you don't need or want tugs in the first place?
***, you're right

But wait, what I actually meant, I think, was that if you are using tugs and other useful logistical vehicles, you are not using this space for important frigates or destroyers. So, I just use an Atlas and Prometheus with Augmented Field Drive

Beep Boop

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2024, 02:46:10 PM »

But wait, what I actually meant, I think, was that if you are using tugs and other useful logistical vehicles, you are not using this space for important frigates or destroyers. So, I just use an Atlas and Prometheus with Augmented Field Drive
And if you are NOT using tugs, you can't really use anything OTHER than frigates and destroyers and maybe the Falcon, because otherwise your fleet is incapable of actually going anywhere, and you will only be capable of flying backwards into anyone trying to chase you.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2024, 03:32:36 PM »

And if you are NOT using tugs, you can't really use anything OTHER than frigates and destroyers and maybe the Falcon, because otherwise your fleet is incapable of actually going anywhere, and you will only be capable of flying backwards into anyone trying to chase you.
have you considered that maybe I have a fleet filled with Cruisers and Capital Ships but enjoy using the spare fleet slots for valuable frigates and destroyers such as Tempests, Beam Shrikes, Afflictors or Shades? Medusas, etc.

Beep Boop

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2024, 05:38:53 PM »

have you considered that maybe I have a fleet filled with Cruisers and Capital Ships but enjoy using the spare fleet slots for valuable frigates and destroyers such as Tempests, Beam Shrikes, Afflictors or Shades? Medusas, etc.
Problem is, fleet moves (or not) at the speed of its slowest ship. So the moment you put standard cruisers or capitals in your fleet, without Oxen to shore them up, your ability to move vanishes. Without them, you are limited to ONLY using frigates/destroyers/light cruisers because otherwise your fleet cannot move.

Princess_of_Evil

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2024, 11:43:11 PM »

Augmented Drive Field exists. Navigation exists. Bulk Transport exists. There are many ways to have a big ship in your fleet without dipping below 20. It will be weakened, yes, but having a somewhat weaker capital is very often better than not having any.

By the way: Eradicator is burn 9. Is that a light cruiser to you?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 11:44:55 PM by Princess_of_Evil »

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2024, 04:27:10 AM »

Problem is, fleet moves (or not) at the speed of its slowest ship. So the moment you put standard cruisers or capitals in your fleet, without Oxen to shore them up, your ability to move vanishes. Without them, you are limited to ONLY using frigates/destroyers/light cruisers because otherwise your fleet cannot move.
there has been a Hyperspace update that added new ways of moving across the Sector, plus I found the gate device, though that is minimal. So, having a 6 burn fleet is actually tolerable now.
Pages: [1] 2