Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Codex Overhaul (05/11/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: High Scatter Amplifier and laser PDs  (Read 1325 times)

JohnVicres

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
High Scatter Amplifier and laser PDs
« on: May 06, 2024, 05:47:14 AM »

It ruins the laser PDs.  The basic laser PD has 300 range, only 50 more than the Vulcan, but the anemia in DPS is staggering. It already is an anemic weapon (without skills and hullmods and ITU etc), but HSA murders it. That said, I don't really have a good testing environment, so maybe I'm talking out of my ass...

Perhaps HSA shouldn't affect PD weapons?

yajusenpai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: High Scatter Amplifier and laser PDs
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 06:31:10 AM »

Maybe don't use HSA because HSA is garbage.
10% damage for (almost) half your range? 20OP?
What? Are you dumb?

Don't talk to me and my son ever again unless you do 40%.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 06:35:13 AM by yajusenpai »
Please do not mention High Scatter Amplifier.

Phenir

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 07:28:48 AM »

It will affect pd as long as burst pd exists. 500/700 with pd skill range, high hit strength, not terrible dps but great burst potential even against armor and flux efficient.

Princess_of_Evil

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 09:42:10 AM »

HSA isn't "10% more DPS". HSA is "make the capitals stop venting through my four tac lances please".
Proof that you don't need to know any languages to translate, you just need to care.

yajusenpai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2024, 10:13:45 AM »

HSA isn't "10% more DPS". HSA is "make the capitals stop venting through my four tac lances please".
It cut even 1000 range Tachyon Lance to 600. Which mean it kill one of the bigger sale point of a beam weapon- Accurate long range strike. So it need to get close to do its thing.
If you are going in anyway, why don't you use Autopulse Laser or Plasma Cannon instead?
I know HSA make beam do hard flux, but at what cost? It is worth it? Can the OP better spend elsewhere?

How do you justify using High Scatter Amplifier over Advanced Optics, its greatest rival?
Advanced Optics can seamlessly improve PD alongside normal weapon, more range are always welcome, drawback easy to work with.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 10:37:36 AM by yajusenpai »

Princess_of_Evil

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2024, 10:41:51 AM »

HSA cuts down the range on beams, which is their selling point, but Tach is a lance (separate weapon class) and works fine in melee range. It looks inefficient only until you realize it deals 2/3rds of its damage as a bonus to weapons and engines, including through weakened shields. And HSA works especially well with PLance, which is already a melee weapon anyway.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 10:44:49 AM by Princess_of_Evil »
Proof that you don't need to know any languages to translate, you just need to care.

yajusenpai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2024, 10:57:21 AM »

HSA cuts down the range on beams, which is their selling point, but Tach is a lance (separate weapon class) and works fine in melee range. It looks inefficient only until you realize it deals 2/3rds of its damage as a bonus to weapons and engines, including through weakened shields. And HSA works especially well with PLance, which is already a melee weapon anyway.

I don't know. Ion Pulser?
The problem is when you cut down the range of a weapon, their normally shorter range rival sudden look a lot better. Minus the extra OP cost.
As I said, if you are going in anyway....

Nettle

• Admiral
  • making humorous maneuvers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2024, 11:24:02 AM »

It cut even 1000 range Tachyon Lance to 600. Which mean it kill one of the bigger sale point of a beam weapon- Accurate long range strike.

A main saling point for support beams like graviton and ion, sure, but range isn't as crucial for burst beams.

If you are going in anyway, why don't you use Autopulse Laser or Plasma Cannon instead?
I know HSA make beam do hard flux, but at what cost? It is worth it? Can the OP better spend elsewhere?

Autopulse is very ineffective against armor, and more often than not, you will want to build-in expanded magazines if you are going to use it as a primary. Plasma Cannon is extremely flux-hungry, and you might be physically incapable of stacking enough dissapation to afford it in a given build.

How do you justify using High Scatter Amplifier over Advanced Optics, its greatest rival?

Advanced Optics can seamlessly improve PD alongside normal weapon, more range are always welcome, drawback easy to work with.

There is no rivarly, both hullmods are fundamentally different. Because all beams are softflux, they are very binary when it comes to overcoming shields. You either have a secondary hard flux weapon/can overcome their dissapation, or your beams straight up do nothing. HSA changes that.

Princess_of_Evil

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2024, 11:50:32 AM »

(Or you have a critical amount and your opponent is smaller than a true combat cruiser.)

JohnVicres

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2024, 01:13:58 PM »

It's fun. Not particularly strong, but fun. Also consider overdriven ships and their range reduction, that'd work with HSA

JohnVicres

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2024, 01:17:51 PM »

It will affect pd as long as burst pd exists. 500/700 with pd skill range, high hit strength, not terrible dps but great burst potential even against armor and flux efficient.
But what ship can amass enough Burst PDs to make this viable? And even then, flak can do chunky damage if you strip armor away; doesn't make it op.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2024, 02:20:13 PM »

Autopulse is very ineffective against armor, and more often than not, you will want to build-in expanded magazines if you are going to use it as a primary. Plasma Cannon is extremely flux-hungry, and you might be physically incapable of stacking enough dissapation to afford it in a given build.

While Autopulse is not an anti-armor weapon, its 150 hit strength is not all that bad. I agree that S mod expanded magazines goes with it extremely well.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2024, 02:27:17 PM »

While Autopulse is not an anti-armor weapon, its 150 hit strength is not all that bad. I agree that S mod expanded magazines goes with it extremely well.
too well possibly

Sinigr

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2024, 01:43:07 AM »

Maybe don't use HSA because HSA is garbage.
10% damage for (almost) half your range? 20OP?
What? Are you dumb?

Don't talk to me and my son ever again unless you do 40%.
Garbage, yeah yeah. You are dumb.
"officerMaxLevel":29,
"officerAIMax":36,
"maxOfficersInAIFleet":36
"tier1StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier2StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier3StationOfficerLevel":29,
Try to hunt it! ;)
https://i.imgur.com/gXIAgGy.png

Sinigr

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2024, 01:57:17 AM »

It ruins the laser PDs. HSA murders it
HSA murders it? It ruins the lasers? What are you talking about?...
"officerMaxLevel":29,
"officerAIMax":36,
"maxOfficersInAIFleet":36
"tier1StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier2StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier3StationOfficerLevel":29,
Try to hunt it! ;)
https://i.imgur.com/gXIAgGy.png
Pages: [1] 2 3