Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Full Assault with reckless fleet not working as intended?  (Read 425 times)

majk

• Commander
    • View Profile
Full Assault with reckless fleet not working as intended?
« on: March 29, 2024, 12:04:33 AM »

When i use a frigate fleet with fleet behavior set to reckless, giving a Full Assault order makes my assault ships bugger away from an enemy, spread out and generally jump in, shoot for a few seconds and fly away and quite often just fly in random directions far FAR away from an enemy.
They are far more aggressive with basic fleet wide reckless setting, something in full assault seems to be kinda broken.
I tried this with both modded and vanilla starsector and the results are the same.

Fleet details:
Support doctrine and officers only in monitors
20 lp brawlers(hmg,AC,2x swarmer)
3monitors
5condors(2x piranhas/2x daggers/2x broadswords depending on what i fight)

I also tried it with glimmers, wolves, lashers and the results are the same. It's better to just set fleet wide reckless doctrine than giving full assault order.

Cryovolcanic

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Full Assault with reckless fleet not working as intended?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 08:20:08 AM »

I also don't understand why reckless frigates backpedal from enemies when their flux bar is empty.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 08:26:52 AM »

Hmm, would you mind sending me a savefile where I can observe this easily? Full assault should not make much difference for reckless ships, so it sounds like something might be off.

fractalsoftworks [at] gmail [dot] com

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 11:17:04 AM »

Eh, it fits with my understanding of the AI.  If you're giving it a generalized order, the AI will try to flank the ships and avoid fire.

You're better off giving them a point to defend and using eliminate to kill priority ships.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 05:57:50 PM »

So. Iirc the AI settings are more of a line on  “considers the damage potential of enemy ships that aren’t my target” and “has a range preference based on equipment”

Steady is “wants to sit an an optimal range a bit under my longest range weapon” and “is concerned about enemies that aren’t my targets DPS”. And aggressive is “wants to sit an an optimal range that is the shortest weapon I have” plus “considers enemy DPS”  and reckless is “only considers the DPS of the targeted ship but nothing else”. A reckless pilot will not suicide an LP brawler into an Onslaught.

So if you have 20 LP brawler and they are all on “search and destroy” then they all might individually choose targets they themselves cannot kill and they try to flank/circle rather than engaging.