Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Steal and/or Manufacture/Install solar shields?  (Read 546 times)

happycrow

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Steal and/or Manufacture/Install solar shields?
« on: March 27, 2024, 01:26:28 PM »

I see planets with solar shields, and I WANTS DEM for my desert worlds. There's an alternative in play for cold/dark worlds. Is it a balance thing that this isn't player-affectable? (or do I have a smooth brain and am missing smth?) 

tyia,
Russ in TX

Insolent Peon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Steal and/or Manufacture/Install solar shields?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 04:39:59 PM »

I see planets with solar shields, and I WANTS DEM for my desert worlds. There's an alternative in play for cold/dark worlds. Is it a balance thing that this isn't player-affectable? (or do I have a smooth brain and am missing smth?

Domain terraforming tech can't be replicated (or is prohibitively difficult) in the present sector. If you want to be able to build them, there's always the Terraforming and Station Construction mod.

SteelHeart

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 06:53:58 PM »

I see planets with solar shields, and I WANTS DEM for my desert worlds. There's an alternative in play for cold/dark worlds. Is it a balance thing that this isn't player-affectable? (or do I have a smooth brain and am missing smth?

Domain terraforming tech can't be replicated (or is prohibitively difficult) in the present sector. If you want to be able to build them, there's always the Terraforming and Station Construction mod.

Just saying 1'install mods" is not an answer. For a vanilla compatible method of getting solar shades, I think there could be a rare colony item that you can find and install in population to add solar shades/stellar mirrors to a planet, at the cost of adding a chunky metals demand. This also opens up the option of stealing it from core world colonies for personal use.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 08:35:36 PM »

Is it a balance thing that this isn't player-affectable?

I think it is mainly just Alex doesn't want to deal with adding/removing the mirrors/shades.

serp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 08:34:21 PM »

Is it a balance thing that this isn't player-affectable?

I think it is mainly just Alex doesn't want to deal with adding/removing the mirrors/shades.

the player can add and remove lamps, stations are virtually indistinguishable as objects, and you can give Kanta's station a similar orbiting little decal radiant.

I think he wouldn't allow it because he thinks it would be too good. I'll opine that it would be very good, though not in any harmful way...but Alex has kinda been cracking down hard on colonies for quite some time, and I don't think he'd even consider letting you move stellar shades around

Bungee_man

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 07:48:13 AM »

There are uninhabited worlds, often in Remnant systems, that have stellar mirrors and shades. These can be colonized - you can also satbomb (or otherwise deciv) inhabited planets and then settle the ashes.

The stellar shades and mirrors are enormous, expertly-positioned, and calibrated for their specific systems. Moving them from system to system is a task beyond what anything in the sector is capable of.

serp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 09:58:44 AM »

There are uninhabited worlds, often in Remnant systems, that have stellar mirrors and shades. These can be colonized - you can also satbomb (or otherwise deciv) inhabited planets and then settle the ashes.

The stellar shades and mirrors are enormous, expertly-positioned, and calibrated for their specific systems. Moving them from system to system is a task beyond what anything in the sector is capable of.

You have, in this game, access to what are described as self replicating fabricators of inconceivable precision that actually build themselves before they build  other things. It is insane to suggest that you couldn't disassemble and reconstruct and position a shade or mirror with the help of an alpha and time spent hauling.

They're inaccessible to the player for either flavor, to add to that "dark age after the golden" feel, or just for balance cuz those shades are *** sweet and too good to be shuffled around.

Siffrin

• Captain
  • Thermal Signature Detected
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2024, 03:33:39 PM »

Sounds redundant and would just be another boring statistic buff players get to stack on their colonies. If you really want it just use them then get TASC since it adds makes them more important with their use in terraforming aside from just +2 food production.

Just saying 1'install mods" is not an answer.
No, it absolutely is an answer when something isn't in the base game. If you want something not in the base game but for some reason you're rejecting any mods like a vanilla purist then you're just being unreasonable.
Gods most reckless Odyssey captain.

ChibiWolf999

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2024, 04:07:13 AM »

You have, in this game, access to what are described as self replicating fabricators of inconceivable precision that actually build themselves before they build  other things. It is insane to suggest that you couldn't disassemble and reconstruct and position a shade or mirror with the help of an alpha and time spent hauling.

They're inaccessible to the player for either flavor, to add to that "dark age after the golden" feel, or just for balance cuz those shades are *** sweet and too good to be shuffled around.

I mean, the whole premise of the game is we don't have the serial codes to break the DRM on our 3-D printers and we don't understand the tech enough to make new ones without restrictions - even with the help of an alpha.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2024, 11:58:36 AM »

I mean, the whole premise of the game is we don't have the serial codes to break the DRM on our 3-D printers and we don't understand the tech enough to make new ones without restrictions - even with the help of an alpha.
If I had a nickel for every time I saw an indie space game about copyright being bad, I would have two nickels.