Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question: High Energy Focus and Dragonfire DEMs  (Read 553 times)

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
Question: High Energy Focus and Dragonfire DEMs
« on: March 25, 2024, 06:20:11 PM »

Dragonfire DEMs have 3 stages:
1. Firing of the torpedo and flying into range.
2. Taking aim and charging up the laser.
3. Actually firing the laser.

At which of the three stages has the High Energy Focus to be active, that the damage gets increased by 50%?

Siffrin

• Captain
  • Thermal Signature Detected
    • View Profile
Re: Question: High Energy Focus and Dragonfire DEMs
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 06:22:20 PM »

"This damage is affected by missile damage modifiers and not energy weapon ones."
Gods most reckless Odyssey captain.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 06:24:35 PM »

"This damage is affected by missile damage modifiers and not energy weapon ones."

I was just playing the game and thinking to myself how that text isn't really necessary, but I guess I was wrong.
TL;DR deez nuts

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 11:41:43 PM »

To give more details, missile damage modifiers are applied at the moment the DEM starts firing its targeting laser. So if you have a modded ship system that temporarily boosts missile damage, use it right before the DEM gets in range.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 11:47:29 PM by Amoebka »

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 02:45:57 AM »

Ah, thanks for reminding. When I thought of this question, I only checked the new wiki and there this isn't mentioned in the Dragonfire Torpedo Pod-entry.

I was just playing the game and thinking to myself how that text isn't really necessary, but I guess I was wrong.
I'm still playing around with the pre-builds (yes, yes, make your owns, I know) and with the Champion-strike-loadout having both (Dragonfire and HEF), I thought that it makes sense if they work together.

To give more details, missile damage modifiers are applied at the moment the DEM starts firing its targeting laser. So if you have a modded ship system that temporarily boosts missile damage, use it right before the DEM gets in range.
Thank you for the additional info.

Siffrin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 03:28:57 AM »

Does HEF work in similar way like if I fire a plasma cannon shot during HEF but the system ends before it can hit something does the damage bonus get removed, or can it boost the damage of any plasma shots that were already fired if I activate it afterwards?

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2024, 03:37:01 AM »

Does HEF work in similar way like if I fire a plasma cannon shot during HEF but the system ends before it can hit something does the damage bonus get removed, or can it boost the damage of any plasma shots that were already fired if I activate it afterwards?

To quote the wiki:
Quote from: https://starsector.wiki.gg/wiki/High_Energy_Focus
The damage bonus is applied when the weapon is firing. This means energy projectile weapons need to have the system active prior to firing to get the bonus, as opposed to when the projectile hits

So as I understand, damage bonus doesn't get removed if it ends before the shot hits, but also it doesn't boost the damage of shots which are fired before activating HEF. Only the shots fired during HEF get the damage boost.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2024, 03:57:53 AM »

HEF bonus is indeed applied when the projectile is fired.

The system also takes 0.25 seconds to charge up after activating. During this time, the bonus damage scales linearly from 0% to full 50%. So if you are really trying to minmax damage of a weapon that can only fire once (gigacannon, tachion lance, cascade emitter), wait 0.25 seconds after pressing F before you fire.

After the 3 seconds elapse, the system charges down for 0.25 seconds, with the bonus decreasing gradually again.

Siffrin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2024, 05:10:11 AM »

Thanks, it's good to see that the new wiki is already being put to use.