Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When would I want to edit my save?  (Read 584 times)

tuz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
When would I want to edit my save?
« on: March 20, 2024, 12:46:46 PM »

I noticed an option in settings.json to have faster load/save times by compressing the save files but the downside is that you cannot edit your save. I hadn't considered editing my save before this. Is there a common reason to edit your save file beyond cheating? e.g. fixing a bug? removing/adding mods?

I wanted to change this setting to have the faster saving speed. If I did turn it on and needed to edit my save later could I just change the setting back and make another save to be able to edit it?

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: When would I want to edit my save?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 12:49:04 PM »

Is there a common reason to edit your save file beyond cheating?
I use it for changing officer portraits.

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 08:30:37 AM »

I noticed an option in settings.json to have faster load/save times by compressing the save files but the downside is that you cannot edit your save. I hadn't considered editing my save before this. Is there a common reason to edit your save file beyond cheating? e.g. fixing a bug? removing/adding mods?

I wanted to change this setting to have the faster saving speed. If I did turn it on and needed to edit my save later could I just change the setting back and make another save to be able to edit it?
Better do not do that. There you can change much things, fix mistakes, change something. Even what can be done without this using in-game methods, but it takes too long, is it worth it, it takes so long to do something to try.
"officerMaxLevel":29,
"officerAIMax":36,
"maxOfficersInAIFleet":36
"tier1StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier2StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier3StationOfficerLevel":29,
Try to hunt it! ;)
https://i.imgur.com/gXIAgGy.png

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 08:33:33 AM »

Hmm, I wouldn't actually change this setting - it's been a very long time since I looked at it, but I vaguely remember there being some significant problems with it.

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 01:42:27 AM »

Also for removing s-mods from your ship.
Try to hunt it! ;)

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2024, 01:46:46 AM »

Hmm, I wouldn't actually change this setting - it's been a very long time since I looked at it, but I vaguely remember there being some significant problems with it.
Why don’t you want to make it possible to remove s-mods using the same extra story points. Of course, the idea is to do this thoughtfully, but there is no opportunity to calmly try different options. Either through saving and loading, or redacting save file and if you want to change it after a long time of use, you need to buy new ships, you can do that yes, but it takes much longer time!
Try to hunt it! ;)

tuz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2024, 07:37:59 PM »

In the past you said it would stop you from editing your save file but didn't really give any reason why you would want to, just that you might want to in the future.

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=23851.msg371443#msg371443

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2024, 12:07:44 PM »

Ah! Maybe I'm conflating the two issues together in my memory or something. I'm not sure how much faster compressed saves would be, anyway - IIRC this was something I was messing with before SSDs were widespread. With an SSD, it could actually become slower to save with this turned on, since the game would need to actually compress the data, which is an extra step and only worthwhile if reading/writing the data from disk takes a long time.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2024, 12:13:11 PM »

Why don’t you want to make it possible to remove s-mods using the same extra story points. Of course, the idea is to do this thoughtfully, but there is no opportunity to calmly try different options. Either through saving and loading, or redacting save file and if you want to change it after a long time of use, you need to buy new ships, you can do that yes, but it takes much longer time!

(Not really the right thread to talk about it, but basically: I don't see an elegant way to do this w/ story points, and save/load *is* there for you. Long-term, it is actually meant to be a commitment.)