Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: [completed] Migrating the unofficial wiki from Fandom to wiki.gg  (Read 5939 times)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [Poll] Migrating the unofficial wiki from Fandom to wiki.gg
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2024, 04:16:14 AM »

It's hilarious to see like 30 different categories for basically "I saw the dev tweet". Although it's not like Histidine knew Alex would make a post about it.
Please don't take me too seriously.

SamuraiProgrammer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2024, 07:05:17 AM »

- WTF are you doing on the Internet without an adblock

Hosting costs money.  If everyone used an adblock, no companies would provide access to information.  So, the answer is "Doing My Part!"

When a website has too many ads, I try to avoid it.  Unfortunately, fandom is the only wiki I have found for Starsector.

- WTF are you doing browsing(or even worse, editing) a wiki on mobile

I often browse while watching TV during the dull parts of otherwise enjoyable programs.  I use an iPad because it is lighter than a laptop.

I often browse wikis for games during this activity because it helps me resist the urge to play said games rather than learn the information I need to play them well.

Maybe you should worry more about the content of a wiki before you worry about how it looks like.

I just started playing the other day.  I don't think you want me editing the wiki just yet.

Oh and one other thing...

I signed up for this forum to participate in this poll.

Let's see...

Vilified for not trying to scam information providers out of their revenue ... CHECK
Besmirched because I use the wrong device to access the world wide web ... CHECK
Forced to witness someone complaining about those who have tried to be helpful without lifting a finger to be helpful ... CHECK

All happening with my first post. 

You deserve a prize ... or something.

qqq

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2024, 07:20:36 AM »

Hell yeah, fandom is a shining example (If a turd could shine...) of a horrible website, and what is wrong with the modern Internet. Nuke it from orbit and don't look back.

nathan67003

• Commander
  • Excellent imagination, mediocre implementation.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2024, 08:26:41 AM »

When a website has too many ads, I try to avoid it.  Unfortunately, fandom is the only wiki I have found for Starsector.
You should try typing "anti" before the "fandom" in the URL  ;)

Also, Histidine, you might wanna uh filter for slurs in those "further comments"...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 08:35:09 AM by nathan67003 »
I have some ideas but can't sprite worth a damn and the ideas imply really involved stuff which I've no clue how to even tackle.

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2024, 09:15:32 AM »

Do you need any help with the (soon to be) new wiki? My editor experience on the old wiki was only in removing / changing outdated ship infos but if there is something i can help with, please let me know.
There is always work to be done and contributions are always very welcome :)

Best to meet up with everyone on the unofficial discord, sing out for wiki editor access on the discord if you don't have it already and find out what's happening with everything

SteelHeart

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2024, 10:31:09 AM »

Yes, and make sure that you gut or take down the fandom wiki.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2024, 10:44:19 AM »

To which I can only say:

- WTF are you doing on the Internet without an adblock
 - WTF are you doing browsing(or even worse, editing) a wiki on mobile

Quote from: Histidine
A number of involved persons (principally myself, editor Kelenius, and co-admin TheWikiFish) at the wiki are now looking at a move to wiki.gg as well.

Cool, so will these people actually update the new wiki? Because I recognize your name from Fandom but I never saw you actually do any patch changes; and the other two I have never heard about.

Maybe you should worry more about the content of a wiki before you worry about how it looks like.

You're welcome to make the points you're making, but please treat other posters with respect, and familiarize yourself with the forum rules. This is just needlessly abrasive and rude.

shmoooooooooooooooooooooo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2024, 12:04:34 PM »

I registered to post just to say that Fandom needs to be satbombed and the remnants thrown into a black hole.

I assume we'll be able to make it so that the new wiki won't spoil Zig+Doritos on front page also lol.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2024, 12:57:13 PM »

Why bother making a poll? You and maybe 3-5 other people will be doing all the work. 99% of the people here probably haven't done more than a few quick wiki edits and will be of no help with the migration.

I assume you've already contacted the major wiki contributors and with them already made your decision.

Okay

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2024, 02:22:04 PM »

Fandom enforces a fairly bad wiki design so on those grounds alone I'd support a migration.

Nettle

• Admiral
  • supplying bad takes
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2024, 02:22:57 PM »

Why bother making a poll? You and maybe 3-5 other people will be doing all the work. 99% of the people here probably haven't done more than a few quick wiki edits and will be of no help with the migration.

I assume you've already contacted the major wiki contributors and with them already made your decision.

Well, it would be rather pointless to invest all these work hours in a resource no one would use. It seems logical to gauge userbase interest before making the transition. And it also serves the double purpose of informing people about this upcoming alternative.

MN64

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2024, 03:28:19 PM »

Vilified for not trying to scam information providers out of their revenue ... CHECK

Its less about trying to scam anyone and more about not wanting to deal with a bunch of garish flashing banner ads some of which will just BLARE music at you.  Not to mention the absolute cancer of pop up ads.  If ads were still just unobtrusive small banners with a static image that didnt take up half the screen adblockers probably would have never came into existence.  I will happily give the middle finger to a bunch of disdainful business practices.  I will stop "scamming" providers when they provide a service that isnt infected with venereal diseases.

Seamus Donohue

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2024, 12:00:45 AM »

I had no idea Starsector had a wiki.  That said, I am all in favor of ALL OF THE WIKIS abandoning Fandom.  :P
Polyvessel Pilot, Capsule Cleared

Princess_of_Evil

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2024, 12:55:30 AM »

Wikia was never good. It was *alright* for a while (about when official Minecraft wiki moved to it, gutting itself in the process), but then it just kind of went back to its old roots. I have actually no idea why so many official wikis moved there, honestly. It's not like wikia being garbage is a secret.
Proof that you don't need to know any languages to translate, you just need to care.

nathan67003

• Commander
  • Excellent imagination, mediocre implementation.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2024, 05:49:55 AM »

Yes, and make sure that you gut or take down the fandom wiki.
About as close to useless as possible, considering it'll 1) get the editor banned by FANDOM staff for vandalism 2) FANDOM staff will revert the changes
I have some ideas but can't sprite worth a damn and the ideas imply really involved stuff which I've no clue how to even tackle.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6