Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [0.97a-RC11] Exotica Technologies: Kaysaar's Toolbox Theory Edition  (Read 18124 times)

Pizzarugi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a-RC11] Exotica Technologies: Kaysaar's Toolbox Theory Edition
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2024, 01:22:41 PM »

How do the upgrades compare to Extra Systems Reloaded, what with it being the forerunner of ET?

Will I see an overall drop in ship performance with full upgrades versus ESR, or are they relatively similar? Can you edit settings to increase the stat bonuses?

The one thing I like about this mod is that the exotic tech you can find are found on other fleets, meaning you have an infinite source of them if you're willing to do a lot of combat. The thing I dislike about ESR is that the augments are found exclusively from exploration and is thus finite.

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2024, 02:38:00 PM »

I hope that the frequency of facing NPC ships with exotics will be increased.  I've faced multiple large planetary invasion fleets without seeing a single one.  I worry that if the rate of encountering NPCs using them stays so low the player will eventually be fully decked out with exotics but rarely face enemies using them making things far less challenging.  I think this is my only input at the moment, I love everything else about this mod.

Pizzarugi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2024, 04:32:09 PM »

I've been tweaking the configs to try and bring ET to the same power scaling as ESR, including removing the bandwidth limit of upgrades. This of course lead to all hostile fleets now having full upgrades so I had to turn that off so the game doesn't throw T10 chips at me hand over fist. It's starting to feel a lot like ESR again.

However, there are some things I wish I could modify. If and when you're able to pick up working on this mod once AotD is settled, it would be nice to see an upgrade that enhances system abilities. Increased system duration, range, charges, reduced cooldown, etc. Maybe lock it behind [redacted] spawns? There's also no upgrade for increased missile capacity, cargo capacity, or fuel capacity. Finally, I noticed there's no way to edit the stats of exotics. Their data is in a .class file which the .json exotics config pulls from. Having that accessible to edit as a config would be appreciated!

ntoxeg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2024, 11:21:30 AM »

A fun concept, though seeing how everything has those “exotica” upgrades makes the whole thing not very exotic in the first place. I initially thought that the way this worked was to have these very rare upgrades so that occasionally you fight a ship distinguished with those and sometimes you upgrade one of the ships you care about with them. I think an implementation focused more on those exotic upgrades and less on a generic upgrade system would overall be more satisfying to play with.

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2024, 03:16:30 PM »

A fun concept, though seeing how everything has those “exotica” upgrades makes the whole thing not very exotic in the first place. I initially thought that the way this worked was to have these very rare upgrades so that occasionally you fight a ship distinguished with those and sometimes you upgrade one of the ships you care about with them. I think an implementation focused more on those exotic upgrades and less on a generic upgrade system would overall be more satisfying to play with.

My only criticism of it being balanced this way is that eventually your fleet will be decked out with these upgrades and exotics so the game becomes far less challenging unless your opponents are also generously equipped with them.  If there were a way to scale the frequency of encountering fleets that are very enhanced with your power that would be fine.

Pizzarugi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2024, 05:02:24 PM »

My only criticism of it being balanced this way is that eventually your fleet will be decked out with these upgrades and exotics so the game becomes far less challenging unless your opponents are also generously equipped with them.  If there were a way to scale the frequency of encountering fleets that are very enhanced with your power that would be fine.

I think your fleet being completely decked out with upgrades and exotics being overpowered really only applies if you prefer to run meta fleet compositions. I'm talking things like 3 Onslaughts, 2 Afflictors, whatever else to fill the remaining combat ship DP limit. Something like that with upgrades installed? Sure that would be pretty OP. As someone who runs unusual ships in a fleet, I feel like this balances out and lets you perform with meta fleets.

I edited the configs of this mod to disable all factions from spawning with upgrades (with the exception of faction-exclusive ones) then edited them to be 2-3x stronger than before in an effort to bring them in line with Extra Systems Reloaded (I can't edit exotics currently since the actual stats are in a .class file). That's allowed me to fight 5+ ordo with a fleet consisting of a Medusa flagship, 1 Radiant, 1 Lich (Exalted mod), 1 Fantasma (Exalted), 1 Vampire (Exalted), 1 Valafar (VIC mod), 1 Moloch (VIC), 1 Aurora, 1 Scarab, and 1 Monitor, but only survive with just the flagship and capitol. Without Exotica, it wouldn't be possible to face that many ships with a loadout this whacky and survive, at least not without the way I edited the mod anyway.

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2024, 12:38:42 AM »

I think your fleet being completely decked out with upgrades and exotics being overpowered really only applies if you prefer to run meta fleet compositions. I'm talking things like 3 Onslaughts, 2 Afflictors, whatever else to fill the remaining combat ship DP limit. Something like that with upgrades installed? Sure that would be pretty OP. As someone who runs unusual ships in a fleet, I feel like this balances out and lets you perform with meta fleets.

I edited the configs of this mod to disable all factions from spawning with upgrades (with the exception of faction-exclusive ones) then edited them to be 2-3x stronger than before in an effort to bring them in line with Extra Systems Reloaded (I can't edit exotics currently since the actual stats are in a .class file). That's allowed me to fight 5+ ordo with a fleet consisting of a Medusa flagship, 1 Radiant, 1 Lich (Exalted mod), 1 Fantasma (Exalted), 1 Vampire (Exalted), 1 Valafar (VIC mod), 1 Moloch (VIC), 1 Aurora, 1 Scarab, and 1 Monitor, but only survive with just the flagship and capitol. Without Exotica, it wouldn't be possible to face that many ships with a loadout this whacky and survive, at least not without the way I edited the mod anyway.

Perhaps an adjustable option in LunaLib that would let the player set how frequent the upgrades and exotics appear on NPC fleets then?

BFEL

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2024, 08:41:27 AM »

The biggest issue I have with the balancing is that most of the upgrades have downsides, some making the upgrade itself feel pointless. Like the fighter upgrade that increases performance but reduces range. Yeah you can keep them at lvl 3 forever if you want to avoid that, but that number feels like it's taunting me :P

Though some of the more special upgrades have led to the best ship I ever made, the Drift King.
I.E. a Kassadari Onslaught, with a hullmod that disables the shield to give it the 30% time dilation effect permanently as well as lightweight armor and aux thrusters to give it extreme mobility, then I combined that with a Penance Engine and the ship becomes nigh invincible.

I've solo'd entire fleets with just that ship.
With five of them, I became the most broken thing in the sector.

Also question, this doesn't require the "Combat Activators" mod anymore, right?

TimeDiver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2024, 09:17:28 AM »

Also question, this doesn't require the "Combat Activators" mod anymore, right?
Not anymore, since the newest versions of MagicLib integrated Combat Activators' functionality, though mods that were compiled for Combat Activators need to be recompiled for MagicLib. This version of Exotica Technologies is already re-compiled, just to be clear.

sludgebastard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2024, 11:38:37 PM »

kickass mod. wondering if, in the future, there'd be a way to disable certain upgrades from appearing, as enemies juiced up with welded armor don't really feel engaging to fight against.

really appreciate what you're doing, btw. more modding communities need people willing to revive dropped mods

Pizzarugi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2024, 02:40:43 PM »

kickass mod. wondering if, in the future, there'd be a way to disable certain upgrades from appearing, as enemies juiced up with welded armor don't really feel engaging to fight against.

really appreciate what you're doing, btw. more modding communities need people willing to revive dropped mods

If you're willing, you can tweak the mod's configs in its folder. I did that to remove all mods from every faction, with the exception of mods that are exclusive to them and can't be built yourself (derelict and [redacted] have one each).

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2024, 05:29:57 PM »

Heya Kaysaar, I just had a quick question.  Do you know if you'll be updating this anytime soon and, if so, if you think it's likely the update will be save compatible?  I ask not to put any pressure or expectations on you but since RAT just updated and is not save compatible I'm toying with ending my current game to start a new one and I just figured I'd ask in case I should hold off if ET might be updated soon and not be save compatible either.  Anyway, thanks again for all your work!

Pizzarugi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2024, 07:09:23 AM »

Quick question for anyone with extensive knowledge in playing with ET: What's a good way to farm for pure exotics? So far my best option I've seen is taking on one [redacted] fleet at a time with the hope the ships carrying the exotic can be recovered. Problem with this strategy is that it requires automated ships skill just so you can recover them, and hoping you get it from salvage is much rarer than hoping you can recover the ship carrying it.

Far as I've seen, hopping between colonies visiting exotic stores hasn't proved very effective for this either. Plenty of standard exotics to find with the occasional corrupted variant, but very rarely do I come across guerilla variants and I've not once seen a pure one.

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2024, 12:06:30 PM »

Quick question for anyone with extensive knowledge in playing with ET: What's a good way to farm for pure exotics? So far my best option I've seen is taking on one [redacted] fleet at a time with the hope the ships carrying the exotic can be recovered. Problem with this strategy is that it requires automated ships skill just so you can recover them, and hoping you get it from salvage is much rarer than hoping you can recover the ship carrying it.

Far as I've seen, hopping between colonies visiting exotic stores hasn't proved very effective for this either. Plenty of standard exotics to find with the occasional corrupted variant, but very rarely do I come across guerilla variants and I've not once seen a pure one.

In the current version it's pretty difficult as pure exotics don't drop often and depending on which ones you're looking for they may not be available for purchase.  I know I've seen a couple types of pure ones for sale but I think it was only the Hyperspec and whatever the one is that doubles the effect of your points in flux capacity and vents.  Which ones are you looking for and what kind of variants?

Pizzarugi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2024, 04:34:05 PM »

In the current version it's pretty difficult as pure exotics don't drop often and depending on which ones you're looking for they may not be available for purchase.  I know I've seen a couple types of pure ones for sale but I think it was only the Hyperspec and whatever the one is that doubles the effect of your points in flux capacity and vents.  Which ones are you looking for and what kind of variants?

The exotic that increases the effect of flux capacitor and vent points is the Plasma Flux Catalyst.

Funnily enough, that's primarily what I'm looking for. In general, however, I was looking for pure variants of all exotics.
Pages: 1 [2] 3