Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: give PegaSUS built-in missleracks  (Read 445 times)

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
give PegaSUS built-in missleracks
« on: March 13, 2024, 01:14:25 PM »

I don't think anyone is going to get Heavy Armour instead of Expanded Missile Racks. I mean, like... Why? You have 4 large missile launchers. I can understand with a Conquest, cause it has those two medium missiles and you can ignore them and put more points into flux or like some weird hullmod. Like Blast Doors or Auxiliary Thrusters. But why wouldn't you put Expanded Missile Racks on Pegasus?

I dunno. You have Ballistic Integration on typical low large slot ships. Conquest, Invictus, Onslaught. These dudes get free OP, kinda... Not really. At least they get stuff that usually makes them feel like they have more op than usual. Like... An Onslaught definitely feels more liberal OP-wise than a freaking Astral. Which, I believe was intentional. And yet, Pegasus is standing there, menacingly, being like "hmmmm... Should I go Expanded Missile Racks? Or High Scatter Array?".

related clip - Half Life 2 spoilolops

The Unicorn has definitely been nerfed severely. It is no longer a combat vessel, but just a long range missile boat. It costs 50 DP for something that is just a bunch of Squalls and Cyclones duct-taped together. So, I dunno. Let's not kick it while its down. Cause all these significant missile launchers have been nerfed. And I assume Horse with Wings isn't far away from being as viable as Mr Blue Sky.

However, the point I guess, isn't to have Pegasus buffed, the point is to not give the player an illusion of choice. And just remove the choice part. Pegasus has a lot of OP, because it's a slow brick with a lot of weaknesses it has to make up for. And costs a lot of DP in the end. So, it needs something to justify its budget. It probably doesn't have such a thing. And is like a C-tier ship, but whatever... That is not really the point. That is a discussion to be sparked, but not the exact point of this is...

Take away like 20 OP or 15 OP, or 30 OP if you want to be mean. And just give it Expanded Missile Racks. Cause why not? Is someone going to put Pilum there? Even then, you are going to make use of more missiles, cause regeneration ain't that fast. It literally is just a noob trap or something.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 01:25:26 PM by Killer of Fate »

Phenir

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: give PegaSUS built-in missleracks
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 05:06:49 PM »

Conquest and onslaught get ballistic integration because their large mounts don't all converge together and because downsizing the weapons mounted is silly,usually. I think it's pretty obvious why invictus gets it. If it didn't have it, it'd need a ton of OP to fill all those slots with larges.
On topic though, consider the difference between built in missile racks and modular missile racks. The latter reduces missile fire rate when smoded, the former has no reason to be smoded at all. So without the missile rack build in, it's 40 op vs 1 smod slot + fire rate reduction.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 06:03:12 PM »

Onslaught could lose integration now that large weapons have been buffed to be “worth it” as it were

Bungee_man

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 06:54:23 PM »

Why would you put squalls on the Pegasus? Or Cyclones, for that matter? Its core purpose, at which it excels, is the ability to launch a devastating alpha strike with target-tracking missiles. Four hurricanes make it a pretty effective flagship, though its AI has a strange bug where it refuses to burst down targets that the player designates for it.

Koldo27

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 04:16:13 AM »

Ballistic integration is not there to give those ships "more" OP, in fact it's the opposite. To discourage the player from downsizing to mediums and getting more OP to spend on hullmods, they instead get less max OP and discounted larges.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 06:16:29 AM »

Cyclones on Pegasus used to be good when the mounts converged.  Now that Cyclones have less ammo, maybe the mounts should converge again.  Cyclone is kind of lame now.

As for Pilums on Pegasus, if you want to spam Pilums, Pegasus can do that by itself (with four Catapults).  You do not need a bunch of Vigilance, Condors, and Ventures for that.

Nettle

• Admiral
  • supplying bad takes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2024, 10:23:45 AM »

Cyclones on Pegasus used to be good when the mounts converged.  Now that Cyclones have less ammo, maybe the mounts should converge again.  Cyclone is kind of lame now.

Falcon/Eagle quietly sobbing in the corner.

prav

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2024, 10:51:40 AM »

I don't get the Cyclone ammo nerf. Yeah they were firing too fast, but why hit the ammo too? It was a neat perk.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2024, 11:56:36 AM »

Falcon/Eagle quietly sobbing in the corner.
you can still hit the target, but you must be patient with the NPC ship. Which is usually fine, if you consider the fact that reapers tend to be cheap op and ammo-wise. At least until the Cyclone... Which in my tests Pegasus was still able to use Cyclones. Those still converge at long ranges.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2024, 12:12:36 PM »

Ballistic integration is not there to give those ships "more" OP, in fact it's the opposite. To discourage the player from downsizing to mediums and getting more OP to spend on hullmods, they instead get less max OP and discounted larges.
I know...

But the thing about Ballistic Integration is that it could both be and not be a hidden buff meant to encourage spending OP on weapons. It's just that we don't know what the real amount of OP a ship had, whether the ship gains or loses OP. Nonetheless, I assumed like, that it does the former. And that it is just an indirect way of buffing the ship without making it feel like too much of a direct buff and more like an option with drawbacks that forces the player to take secondary considerations into their outlook.

The thing about Conquest is that even though it does have Heavy Ballistic Integration, the default build still uses flak cannons in large slots. Probably cause of the fact that Devastators break the Conquest's behaviour. If it comes to the Onslaught, the amount of PD it has on its sides, and the fact that it has a very small turn rate, and the fact that you can shunt it, and the fact that its shields aren't what you would consider highest quality, still encourages the installation of Devastators. I mean, I guess...

As for Pilums on Pegasus, if you want to spam Pilums, Pegasus can do that by itself (with four Catapults).  You do not need a bunch of Vigilance, Condors, and Ventures for that.

Pilum still benefits from ammo increase, its ammo regeneration is slow and the ship can reload itself, so I guess it should be capable of spamming those? It apparently does. Just checked. As in the NPC does that behaviour on its own. These projectiles are technically finite.

There would be a reason not to put Expanded Missile Racks if there was a large version of the Salamander, but like... Why? Why would there be?

This is why ships like Vigilance, Condor don't have built-in EMR, because they can always just equip Salamanders and prioritise secondary aspects. Vigilance with its hybrid mount. Condor with its fighters.

Pegasus does not really have secondary aspects. It's like a Gryphon. It's a missile boat. It should just be a missile boat, I guess... In that it should have EMR, Gryphon used to, but then its system was changed... Oh, wait. It still does. That was just a proposition someone made. So, what's the reason not to give Pegasus missile racks?

Eh, not really important probably. Just a minor thing. I was just kinda thinking about it when calculating Pegasus' stats. And testing it later. Cause it felt to me like it was too predictable for its 50 DP cost.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 12:19:55 PM by Killer of Fate »