Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Let your faction be able to claim uninhabited core systems  (Read 731 times)

tuz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Let your faction be able to claim uninhabited core systems
« on: March 10, 2024, 03:37:14 PM »

So as of 0.97a
Penelope's Star is now claimed by the Luddic Church, and Duzahk/Tia-Tax'et by the Hegemony

The problem is they keep that claim even if you have a max-pop world in the system. If you want to colonize another planet in the system you to incur their wrath again. I think it would be better if once your colony was big enough that they stop sending fleets to blow it up, they also give up their claim on the system.

edit: I changed the title to make it clear I meant systems uninhabited by the claimant faction. The idea was that once you had a base big enough in Penelope's Star/Duzahk/Tia-Tax'et the previous claimant would stop caring about addition colonies in the respective system.
While the idea of claiming any system is interesting it sort of outside of the scope of my intended suggestion XD
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 07:18:15 PM by tuz »

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Let your faction be able to claim a core system
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 03:42:25 PM »

that honestly sounds really dumb, and I hate this...

Though whatever, I could be wrong. Why do you want to colonise a Core World system anyway???

tuz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 04:01:41 PM »

I normally colonize Penelope's Star because it is uninhabited and usually has a decent planet and isn't too far away to use as a home base as you do missions in other core systems.

mr. domain

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 04:04:57 PM »

Though whatever, I could be wrong. Why do you want to colonise a Core World system anyway???

High accessibility and safe storage are the main reasons, though those two systems are hard-coded to not have habitable planets so their viability for full colonization is limited
Are there orange Auroras in the Orion Arm?

Every 27 seconds in the Persean Sector, a condor equipped with talons dies. Together, we can buff carrier skills!

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 04:13:26 PM »

I normally colonize Crocodile in the Kumari Kandam system. I don't mind that the Pathers think they own the place; that gives me more enemy fleets to blow up.

As for why? It's an ideal manufacturing world, with no atmosphere to allow the best use of colony items (nanoforge with no pollution, catalytic core, synchrotron) and low gravity plus being nearly dead center on the map for maximum accessibility. Also it's in a star system with three stable points and a gate, as well as three other non-player colonies you can potentially sell stuff at.

I wouldn't complain if I were to officially be considered to have claimed the system when Crocodile hits size six. But I also don't really care that I currently don't; it's not a concern for me.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 04:33:43 PM »

I normally colonize Crocodile in the Kumari Kandam system. I don't mind that the Pathers think they own the place; that gives me more enemy fleets to blow up.

As for why? It's an ideal manufacturing world, with no atmosphere to allow the best use of colony items (nanoforge with no pollution, catalytic core, synchrotron) and low gravity plus being nearly dead center on the map for maximum accessibility. Also it's in a star system with three stable points and a gate, as well as three other non-player colonies you can potentially sell stuff at.

I wouldn't complain if I were to officially be considered to have claimed the system when Crocodile hits size six. But I also don't really care that I currently don't; it's not a concern for me.

next update, Fractal adds a population 7 Luddic Path planet just to bully you in particular

mr. domain

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2024, 05:10:36 PM »

next update, Fractal adds a population 7 Luddic Path planet just to bully you in particular

AFAIK the core worlds and their lore have been baked in since the mid-2010s, though I wasn't around for that.
Are there orange Auroras in the Orion Arm?

Every 27 seconds in the Persean Sector, a condor equipped with talons dies. Together, we can buff carrier skills!

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Let your faction be able to claim uninhabited core systems
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 01:45:19 AM »

Use a notepad of some kind to open up \Starsector\starsector-core\data\config\settings.json
Search for the string "factionsClaimUnpopulatedCoreSystems".
Change the true at the end of the line to false, and save.

Wish granted (sort of).

tuz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2024, 07:05:52 AM »

Use a notepad of some kind to open up \Starsector\starsector-core\data\config\settings.json
Search for the string "factionsClaimUnpopulatedCoreSystems".
Change the true at the end of the line to false, and save.

Wish granted (sort of).

yeah I ended up doing this (edit: doesn't seem to work mid-playthrough) but the claim not updating once you have an established colony there seems like an oversight so I thought I would suggest it so people wouldn't have to fiddle with settings.

I am honestly a little confused with these systems being claimed since I thought these systems being unclaimed before was a good design choice. Sort of like a "babby's first colony" thing. You could get a nearby system, although maybe not a great one for "free" without having to explore. Now you might as well claim one in a populated system if you want a colony near the center since its going to be attacked either way.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 07:20:25 AM by tuz »

tuz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2024, 07:17:35 AM »

High accessibility and safe storage are the main reasons, though those two systems are hard-coded to not have habitable planets so their viability for full colonization is limited

I just noticed my planet in Penelope's Star (Ithaca) is habitable. I remember reading they weren't supposed to be habitable either and only noticed when I checked before installing a nanoforge. Playing with no mods so not sure why that is. Is Ithaca habitable intentionally? Its flavor-text suggests it was terraformed.

Nettle

• Admiral
  • supplying bad takes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2024, 02:55:52 PM »

Core worlds won't randomly generate habitable planets anymore, but Ithaca is a guaranteed desert planet in the Penelope's system.

Ragnarok101

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2024, 11:23:04 AM »

I do think 'faction claims' need to be more flexible.

For example:

- I have a Hegemony commission. For whatever reason I also have a Duzahk variant with a bunch of planets in it. I get to colonize these easily.

- Through Protagonist Nonsense/lucky rolls on the gas giants I hazard-pay my way up to all the planets in here being functional. I fight off the Crises, I have a ton of size 6s, etc etc etc

- I then resign my Hegemony commission and declare independence. By all rights, this system should be mine - but if I build anything new in there, the Hegemony will say they have a claim on the system and try to satbomb the place.

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2024, 11:59:06 AM »

- I have a Hegemony commission. For whatever reason I also have a Duzahk variant with a bunch of planets in it. I get to colonize these easily.

- Through Protagonist Nonsense/lucky rolls on the gas giants I hazard-pay my way up to all the planets in here being functional. I fight off the Crises, I have a ton of size 6s, etc etc etc

- I then resign my Hegemony commission and declare independence. By all rights, this system should be mine
By all rights, this system belongs to the Hegemony - they have a preexisting claim and you colonized it under their auspices. Reasonably, if you want to take the system with you when you 'leave' the Hegemony, you should have to fight a war or have a great deal of influence in high places.

Bungee_man

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2024, 04:49:44 PM »

If I understand right, a system belongs to the faction with the largest market therein, and the issue is just that this isn't getting updated on the systems that the last patch marked as owned despite not being inhabited.

what am i doing

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2024, 12:57:20 PM »

The way the game's mechanics work, it's not dumb, but actually in line with existing mechanics. Yma is claimed by the pirates. If you settle there, they'll be the ones attacking your colony. But if you decivilize Qaras, the pirate claim goes away, and it becomes claimed by the Persean League, because now Salamanca is the largest remaining settlement. So logically, while the Hegemony and Church might initially be claiming the uninhabited core world systems, once your colony is built there, you should be the one with the claim. And while it does make sense that they might go after the colony initially, once it's reached Size 5 and is no longer a valid target for saturation expeditions, it would make sense that you're now the one with the claim on the system.

... because they're the most profitable due to highest accessibility? If you get a Penelope's Star roll with farmland on Ithaca and organics on Xuthus that is basically the best possible system you can get, barring one of those (very rare) cases where a non-core system with good planets spawns right next to the core.
Pages: [1] 2