Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to making mods, what do I do?  (Read 255 times)

IntactSand

• Ensign
    • View Profile
New to making mods, what do I do?
« on: March 08, 2024, 08:06:22 PM »

So, I'm wanting to make a mod for Starsector. I haven't made a mod for a game at all, but I've got a strong vision for what I want to do. It involves making a new area to explore, making new ships and a faction for this area, and possibly quests. If there's any guides to point me towards what I need to do, it would be greatly appreciated.

A_Random_Dude

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: New to making mods, what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 08:35:26 PM »

First, if you really don't have any experience with modding/coding, I would suggest giving a look to the pinned topics in the "modding resources" subforum (just below the modding one, really can't miss it). I would especially recommend starting with Modding Tools and Resources, which essentially contains links to every guides you would need to make a functionning mod, and the Galatia Academy discord server if you want to ask for help.

As for the scope of your first mod ever... Honestly, I would recommend starting small. That way, you won't feel overwhelmed and you can gradually learn how everything works (which is mandatory if you don't want to give up halfway through and let your unfinished mod rot on your pc).

If you think what you need first is a faction, I'd suggest downloading a simple faction mod like Celestial Mount Circle, take a good look at how the different scripts/files are made there and use it as a template for your first tries.

If you want to draw and fly ships the most, then... I mean, you could start by kitbashing existing ships (preferably vanilla to avoid any unnecessary drama), and use something like Gimp to draw/edit your stuff. Ah, also in case you're wondering: a kitbash is essentially taking one or many ships, "disassemble" their sprites and combine whatever catches your interest into a new hull. Compared to drawing from scratch, it's often considered as far more beginner friendly. Hell, even established mod authors and the game devs kitbash, so no need to feel ashamed of it!
If you still want to draw from scratch though, "A spriter's first toolbox" (in Modding Resources once again) should have that covered.

Quest and exploration stuff I'm not familiar enough with it to be of much help, I admit. So I'll let other people here or on the discord server help with that.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 08:39:44 PM by A_Random_Dude »

IntactSand

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 09:42:39 PM »

First, if you really don't have any experience with modding/coding, I would suggest giving a look to the pinned topics in the "modding resources" subforum (just below the modding one, really can't miss it). I would especially recommend starting with Modding Tools and Resources, which essentially contains links to every guides you would need to make a functionning mod, and the Galatia Academy discord server if you want to ask for help.

Thank you for guiding me to those, they'll be very helpful.

As for the scope of your first mod ever... Honestly, I would recommend starting small. That way, you won't feel overwhelmed and you can gradually learn how everything works.

I did plan to make the smaller parts first, but I'll keep that in mind.

If you think what you need first is a faction, I'd suggest downloading a simple faction mod like Celestial Mount Circle, take a good look at how the different scripts/files are made there and use it as a template for your first tries.

Mod authors would not be upset at me looking at how they made mods and then copying how they did it?

If you want to draw and fly ships the most, then... I mean, you could start by kitbashing existing ships and use something like Gimp to draw/edit your stuff.

Kitbashing, funnily enough that's something I know from another hobby! I should be able to do that somewhat well. Thank you for the suggestion.

A_Random_Dude

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 10:53:36 PM »

Mod authors would not be upset at me looking at how they made mods and then copying how they did it?

CMC's case is particular in that the author outright encourages newcomers to use it as a template to try their hands at modding a faction. Iirc there's a readme file in the mod's folder saying just as much, so you shouldn't have to worry too much about it. In general though, it is better to ask first before actually reusing anything (well, aside from vanilla assets, of course). You can do that either through forum/unofficial discord server DMs, or outright asking them on the page/server I guess. Although I must say, most people usually prefer making their own stuff while simply asking for help, so you decide which is best.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 10:59:48 PM by A_Random_Dude »