Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A suggestion on music implementation for mods.  (Read 1220 times)

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
A suggestion on music implementation for mods.
« on: May 24, 2012, 10:08:37 AM »

I'm having this nagging though that it might be a nice idea to allow the order of music to be played in the game to be determined by modders.
Or have three different ways music can be played.

The first is random, the program simply selects a track at random from a list and plays it, once the track ends it randomly selects another.

The second is non-random, the program follows the list of tracks in exact order. I'm not sure what the value of this is other then complete control over when something plays.

The third is a mix of the two, there is one master list but it is divided into separate smaller lists who have a timer that determines how long songs will randomly play from its list before it moves on to the second list.
I've illustrated the idea below in the quote. It would be nice if it was possible to enter the same track into multiple lists like this. To be honest I'm not entirely sure what the exact benefit of this is, other then allowing a change of mood. You can divide the lists into types of music and have periods of calm mixed with periods of action. Some people like many different kinds of music and this would allow them to mix it up without it becoming utter chaos.

"master_music_list":[
   {
      "length_list_1": 10min,
      "music_list_1": {
         "track_1.mp3",
         "track_2.mp3",
         "track_3.mp3",
      },
   },
   {
      "length_list_2": 20min,
      "music_list_2": {
         "track_2.mp3",
         "track_4.mp3",
         "track_5.mp3",
         "track_6.mp3",
      },
   },
   {
      "length_list_3": 15min,
      "music_list_3": {
         "track_1.mp3",
         "track_5.mp3",
         "track_7.mp3",
         "track_8.mp3",
      },
   },
]

You could also allow "length_list_*" to become "set_order_*" and force the program to play the tracks on that list to play in order of appearance (like the first suggestion above).

Also, tracks should never abruptly stop even when the set time has bin reached, allow the program to finish the track that is still being played before moving on.

I hope this suggestion was useful.