Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Built-in Drones should not be Fighter Wings  (Read 898 times)

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Built-in Drones should not be Fighter Wings
« on: March 02, 2024, 08:12:56 AM »

I mentioned this in the Termination Sequence thread but wanted to expand on it here.

I use Shepherds and Tempests in my fleet and am frequently annoyed that their paltry drone wings water down the effectiveness of Carrier skills on my true Fighters. I will see I have two Moras and a Drover and think "hey, I have 8 Wings" only to realize that the two Shepherds and Tempest further down in my fleet count as 3 against the soft cap. This means the true fighters in my fleet lose 14% of the skill effectiveness (21% if the carrier has an Officer). I use Shepherds for their salvage gantries and surveying equipment and Tempests are good Frigates. However, their built-in drone wings hurt my Carriers simply by existing.

Problem:

Shepherds, Ventures, Tempests and the Remnant Apex all have built-in drone wings. That isn't a problem in and of itself: in fact, I believe it adds some needed variety to ship hulls. However, all of these ships' fighter bays count against the Carrier skill soft cap of 8 when the drones they employ are either vastly inferior to any normal Fighter (Borer Drones), a 0-OP option (Mining Pods), or have a very controversial ship system that sacrifices the drone (Terminators). All are tied to their motherships and can't freely roam. All except Terminators are meant to be distractions or meat shields that are easily replaced. Carrier skills that do affect them are virtually lost on them, yet they water down the bonuses for true Fighters on Carriers.

Why not just remove the wings via Converted Fighter Bays if you don't want them to count against the skills? First and foremost, especially in the case of the Tempest, the built-in drones are a major feature of the hull. Shepherds without their drones have virtually no in-combat use (which was low to begin with!) and Tempests wouldn't even be able to use their ship system. Ventures can get by, sure, but the Mining Pods eat missiles and heavy shots as a form of ablative armor. Second, it costs OP and the benefit is purely logistical. I'm sacrificing in-combat performance for campaign-layer performance all so I don't penalize the Carriers in my fleet. It's counter-intuitive.

In short, I think built-in Drones should be treated differently than bona fide Fighters.

Proposed Solution:

Built-in Drone wings do not count against the Carrier skill 8-wing cap nor do they receive any bonuses from those skills.

Second, built-in drone wings always have 100% Replacement Rate or don't have a Replacement Rate at all. Drones simply have a static replacement rate not affected by their losses. For all except the Terminator, they exist to take hits for the mothership. Their offensive capabilities are virtually nil so improved replacement rate increases durability of the mothership, not firepower.

Third, they also would not have the Rearm/Engage toggle option, since they can't operate independently anyway. 0-Roam fighters do kill the 0-flux boost if given Engage orders. This prevents these hulls from even worrying about it.

This could all be communicated through a built-in Hullmod ("Automated Foundry" or some such). This would also explain why Wasps, Mining Drones, Remnant fighters, etc. on other Carriers, don't have these features but do benefit from Carrier skills.

Caveat:

I could make the case that Terminators should be counted as Fighters. They're much more powerful than Borer Drones or Mining Pods. However, adding the above to Tempests makes Termination Sequence a lot cleaner when replacement rates are static. 20 seconds is long enough as it is but then to have the Replacement Rate drop to like 70% after one drone loss makes replacing the Terminators that much longer.

There's also the argument for Terminators to be treated as built-in drones from internal consistency standpoint: why do the other built-in drone hulls have this property but not Tempests? If a hull is built around on-board drones, you'd think it would account for their manufacture in a purposeful way, hence the Automated Foundry hullmod suggestion. I think it would work for a Tempest as much as a Venture or Shepherd.  Meanwhile, true Carriers have to account for any number of Fighter LPCs, not just Drones, so they're not quite as specialized for that unique task. This is all handwave logic, I know, but some internal consistency is good.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 08:25:25 AM by FooF »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Built-in Drones should not be Fighter Wings
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 08:17:47 AM »

Does toggling engage even do anything for zero range drones/fighters? If it doesn't then I don't know why it's even possible to kill your 0-flux speed boost for no reason.

And I agree with the whole post, except maybe the very end, the caveat part. Terminator drones should be strong since their strength is already calculated for the ship. Remember, Tempest lost HEF for a system that kills its drones. Apex has poor OP pool for a 30 DP ship, but it has 2 wings of Terminator drones.
Please don't take me too seriously.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 08:20:40 AM »

Just tried using Engage on a Venture and Tempest and, yes, it kills the 0-flux boost.

I also agree Terminators should be given the same treatment as other built-in Drones, if that wasn't obvious from the OP. I was just answering an imaginary critic because I can foresee the argument.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 08:24:04 AM by FooF »

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 08:24:07 AM »

Just tried using Engage on a Venture and Tempest and, yes, it kills the 0-flux boost.
Tried the same using a Heron full of Mining Pods - same.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 08:24:31 AM »

Oh I know that part, I'm just curious if setting Engage would somehow make drones a bit more aggressive, more likely to take shots for you, etc. I know venting makes them come forward to protect you, but I'm not 100% sure if there's any behavioural differences in engage/regroup.
Please don't take me too seriously.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2024, 08:28:00 AM »

Oh I know that part, I'm just curious if setting Engage would somehow make drones a bit more aggressive, more likely to take shots for you, etc. I know venting makes them come forward to protect you, but I'm not 100% sure if there's any behavioural differences in engage/regroup.

Even if it caused them to come forward, that's a pretty significant sacrifice of speed just for the extra 200 su of movement. My proposal would be that whatever the default behavior of 0-roam fighters is, would just be "it." Or maybe they're always "Engaged". The reason behind the flux usage on Engage is so that Carriers can't kite but none of these Drones are capable of doing that anyway, so the rule just hurts them.

Edit: On Tempests, at normal engagement ranges, I saw no difference between Rearm or Engage. Terminators didn't appear to operate differently. Anecdotal, of course, maybe there is something in the code.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 08:31:38 AM by FooF »

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2024, 08:43:58 AM »

The only one here that actually uses the engage order is shepherds, their drones can actually leave the carrier.

Other than that this is more or less my suggestion for the tempests, but it does make sense on the others too. A few people have suggested removing built-in wings from carrier skills, but as it stands the tempest really needs carrier group to function while the other ones don't. Giving them all the dual effect of (ignored by carrier skills) plus (100% replacement rate) solves a lot of problems. From a thematic perspective it doesn't really make sense that tempest wants "carrier group" so badly, and gameplay wise it could use the buff.

tangent
To me it would be pretty funny if this got implemented, because I also suggested something similar to defensive targeting array before it was added. The reason I find this funny is because both suggestions were based on a ship I wanted to make, but I don't know how to make hullmods so I couldn't quite fulfill the idea I had. If this actually becomes a hullmod then it plus DTA it will make the ship possible without me having to learn how to create my own hullmods. That's right, DTA and this hypothetical hullmod were both psyops that I came up with to avoid learning more about modding. Work smarter, not harder.

I'm half joking. I did come up with what hullmods I would need for the ship and then found that there are situations where those would actually be nice options in general, and while dta is exactly what I wanted I doubt this one would perfectly fill the function I need.

That being said, people have begged for a high tech cruiser carrier but there hasn't been any clean way to differentiate its niche from existing carriers, so there's been no motivation to add one. Now that DTA exists, what if you add a high tech cruiser battlecarrier with DTA built in? That would make it pretty different.
[close]
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 11:39:31 AM by BigBrainEnergy »
TL;DR deez nuts

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2024, 08:55:14 AM »

I use Shepherds for their salvage gantries and surveying equipment and Tempests are good Frigates. However, their built-in drone wings hurt my Carriers simply by existing.
Shepherd is the one ship where I use Converted Fighter Bays, mostly to boost cargo capacity, since I do not use Shepherd as a combatant past the early-game and do not need its fighter bay.

Other ships that expect to be in a fight, like Tempest or Venture, cannot spare the OP for Converted Fighter Bays.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2024, 09:28:59 AM »

Converted fighter bays got you covered. On the other hand paying the Tempest value of drone wings with the carrier skill is recommended. It's kinda important that they receive that. The extra recovery and speed helps those systems land (does it?)...

On the other hand, you don't need to get the perfect 8 number. Having a little bit more over that won't kill the passive. And if you're min-maxing then you can just leave the Shepherd at home or simply scrap them, as those are really common ships.

I feel like the passive's number is in fact ridiculous on purpose, so that having it slightly reduced still gives it value. I mean 50% faster fighter recovery is huge. Having it be just 25% is the equivalent of each carrier losing like 20% of its op, but without the worry of having too many crew lost per a destroyed carrier.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 09:32:33 AM by Killer of Fate »

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2024, 01:57:10 PM »

A year ago:
iirc the skills do have a floor, though idk how much sou need to spam to reach it
I'm not sure they do have a floor (aside from 0), just a very aggressive diminishing returns thing going on.
To get your fighter bonus down to 1/5 of normal (ie: +10% replacement etc) you need to have ~42 fighter bays.
And having 50 bays only pushes it down to +8%.

It looks like the bonus drops off like:
8 bays = full bonus (+50%)
10 bays = *0.8 (+40%)
16 bays = *0.5 (+25%)
20 bays = *0.4 (+20%)
42 bays = *0.2 (+10%)
50 bays = *0.16 (+8%)

You probably could get the bonus effect down to 1% (or less), but you'd need a lot more bays to do it than you'd ever realistically have.
Certainly much more than I have on hand rn.

Smol number of fighter bays = big bonus, which is nice.
Big number of fighter bays = smol bonus, which is less nice but still okay because you have a big number of fighters. With a bonus.
And you will always have a bonus, because you're never going to have enough fighter bays to get it to zero.
Going over the "limit" does not matter.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2024, 04:44:35 PM »

Generally the way the limits are is that they produce a flat amount

So +50% for 8 bays = + 400% replacement spread evenly across all your bays.

10 bays ? 400 / 10 = 40

20 bays 400/20 = 20

100 bays?!?!? 400/100 = 4.

Once you get to 8 bays you don’t lose any bonus it’s just more spread out. You still get exactly the same amount of fighter replacement time reduction (indeed exactly the same amount of time too if they’re all the same fighter)

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2024, 06:16:46 PM »

It's not about the equal distribution of the bonus. I have no problem with that. My issue is that these drone wings are not worth enhancing yet they dilute the bonus for the fighters I actually want them applied to.

If I had a pair of Heron's and a Drover with officers (8 wings of actual Fighters) and then let's say 3 Shepherds because I explore a bunch: whether I use the Shepherds or not, they count against the Carrier skill cap. That means that the 8 full wings of fighters that see combat and could use the bonus are losing out on 21% of the Carrier skills' effects. That is not insignificant. Even if I field the Shepherds in the fight, the impact Carrier Skills have on Borer Drones is basically useless but it isn't useless for the other Fighters.

It's just a net loss in effectiveness for the Wings I actually want to be effected. I'd much rather have +75% replacement rate for the Fighters on the Carriers than +54%, regardless of whether I field the Shepherds or not.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 06:20:31 PM by FooF »

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2024, 08:43:41 PM »

I understand I was just explaining the mechanic.

Zsar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2024, 11:22:27 AM »

Note: (If memory serves - I cannot seem to find it now -) Another suggestion exists that would make Converted Fighter Bays not a Logistics mod.

On my Ventures I notice it is quite painful to want to get rid of the fighter bays for skills, yet have to choose between Efficiency Overhaul and Solar Shielding for length of expeditions.

Both suggestions have merit, but I think that other suggestion would be preferable to this one, as it does not require to add another layer of complexity (ideally: "almost all built-in fighters are not fighters").
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 11:31:36 AM by Zsar »

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2024, 01:13:07 PM »

It's not about the equal distribution of the bonus. I have no problem with that. My issue is that these drone wings are not worth enhancing yet they dilute the bonus for the fighters I actually want them applied to.

If I had a pair of Heron's and a Drover with officers (8 wings of actual Fighters) and then let's say 3 Shepherds because I explore a bunch: whether I use the Shepherds or not, they count against the Carrier skill cap. That means that the 8 full wings of fighters that see combat and could use the bonus are losing out on 21% of the Carrier skills' effects. That is not insignificant. Even if I field the Shepherds in the fight, the impact Carrier Skills have on Borer Drones is basically useless but it isn't useless for the other Fighters.

It's just a net loss in effectiveness for the Wings I actually want to be effected. I'd much rather have +75% replacement rate for the Fighters on the Carriers than +54%, regardless of whether I field the Shepherds or not.

okay, but isn't you complaining about the fact that shepherd's drag your carrier skill is like complaining that you can't have a Radiant in your fleet, because you have 10 sentries? Like, why not just remove the Shepherds and Ventures. If you are doing this kind of character skill, then the solution is to just tweak yourself rather than the game. Like, a better example of this would be you using Gremlins along a Doom. And saying that Gremlins are such bad phase ships that they shouldn't take the phase thingy. Like... Shepherds are carriers. Tempests aren't, cause Tri-Tachyon needs to have 0 in carriers and yet use Tempests, but whatever. They're supposed to benefit from these skills. And if they wouldn't, then it would be pretty weird.

Imagine a new player going like "omg, I'm going to take a Shepherd at the start of the game and take carrier doctrine, this is going to be so cool and weird" and then the game goes like "haha, nope!".
Pages: [1] 2