Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Raiding and Excess Units in 0.97  (Read 275 times)

styxhelix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Raiding and Excess Units in 0.97
« on: March 01, 2024, 08:18:07 AM »

With the changes to player-induced supply in 0.97, it has become very easy to make huge profits through mass-selling, and then raiding it back.
1. Mass-sell items for excess (green) units
2. Raid it back with high raid effectiveness (you can even earn above 100% of what you sold if conditions are right)
e.g. (with 9 raid effectiveness)

It scales, with diminishing returns. (As items will progressively lower in price the more you sell, but you can still raid everything back.)
The overpoweredness of this exploit is compounded by the fact that you may gain very decent amount of experience. Somehow I don't lose a lot of marines in these raids either, maybe because raid effectiveness is high?

Furthermore, it seems that shortages due to raids expire faster than excesses due to player shorting, so you can actually raid colonies a second time.

Anyways, I think this is definitely unintended and broken enough to warrant a patch, which is why I'm putting it in bugs.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 08:26:31 AM by styxhelix »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Raiding and Excess Units in 0.97
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2024, 08:35:20 AM »

(Moving this to suggestions.)

Thank you, yeah - I'm aware of this. I saw your previous post here, and your PM, just did not get a chance to reply; apologies!

In brief, this looks to be working as intended, or at least fine. It's not something you can do repeatedly because the market will time out for a while after being raided, it takes a lot of initial upfront investment, it causes hostilities, etc. This doesn't seem like much of an outlier, if at all, in terms of making credits.

styxhelix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Raiding and Excess Units in 0.97
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 06:21:23 AM »

(Moving this to suggestions.)

Thank you, yeah - I'm aware of this. I saw your previous post here, and your PM, just did not get a chance to reply; apologies!

In brief, this looks to be working as intended, or at least fine. It's not something you can do repeatedly because the market will time out for a while after being raided, it takes a lot of initial upfront investment, it causes hostilities, etc. This doesn't seem like much of an outlier, if at all, in terms of making credits.
Hello Alex,
It is my firm belief that this exploit deserves a second consideration.

While you can't do perform the exploit repeatedly on one market, you can do it at a lot of places. Whether the upfront investment high is debatable, but it definitely is not when compared to your returns. Taking the first image as an example, you Sell 2670 Heavy Armaments for 600k. Assuming a base price of $500, it costs $1.335m credits. 2000 marines at $200 a marine gives $400000 for a total of $1.735m. A single hit gave 600k. That's a 33% return on your investment immediately. Do it 3 times and you've made your initial investment back. And you would only have lost around a total of 15 reputation across the factions you're raiding.

In fact, rather than needing a lot of initial upfront investment, the less you 'invest' (sell), the more you get. Marines not including, this strategy is even more efficient when you aren't selling in mass volumes. For example, the sale of 2000 H.A. was $288 in a run, but it was $352 when only selling a thousand, which would give you an even higher return on your investment all the while investing less.

Furthermore, I would like to once again bring to your attention the second part of my post, where commodities I have already raided appeared again out of nowhere.