Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Take No Prisoners 2 - A mod about meeting your new best friends  (Read 9147 times)

presidentmattdamon

• Commander
    • View Profile
Take No Prisoners 2 - A mod about meeting your new best friends
« on: February 29, 2024, 07:42:19 AM »

Take No Prisoners 2

It appears I caused a bit of a commotion with my decision to cancel Take No Prisoners, and so I've decided to restore such a beloved mod in a new way.

Gone are the days that you capture random enemy officers from other fleets.
Gone are the days that all of your officers will be random officer #12 from the Hegemony.

Take No Prisoners 2 will be a mod about meeting your new best friends. Each officer will be handcrafted with a ton of dialog for story events, conversations, quests, and more.

FAQ
Q: Why did you kill Take No Prisoners?
A: I was actually honest about that.

Q: Why the sudden decision to turn that around?
A: Because I felt that a mod about meeting unique NPCs from vanilla factions was a step forward. And I get to hold one over the other guys too with actually good writing.
[close]

See you soon, starfarers.

CrimsonLightning

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Take No Prisoners 2 - A mod about meeting your new best friends
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 08:32:07 AM »

A: Because I felt that a mod about meeting unique NPCs from vanilla factions was a step forward. And I get to hold one over the other guys too with actually good writing.

A genuine word of advice. I don't think it is a good idea, or a healthy thing to approach this with the mindset of "I want a rematch to take down these other guys." I've seen you get criticized on different platforms over recent events, saying you're overreacting. I'm sure you can prove them wrong, and I'm sure you can approach this with a different mindset, making TNP2 out of love and genuine interest in making a good mod, not out of a desire to one-up them.

Best of luck, and looking forward to seeing and playing what you create.

presidentmattdamon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2024, 08:34:37 AM »

A genuine word of advice. I don't think it is a good idea, or a healthy thing to approach this with the mindset of "I want a rematch to take down these other guys." I've seen you get criticized on different platforms over recent events, saying you're overreacting. I'm sure you can prove them wrong, and I'm sure you can approach this with a different mindset, making TNP2 out of love and genuine interest in making a good mod, not out of a desire to one-up them.

TNP2 will be a labor of love, don't get that part wrong. this mod isn't made to one-up them, it's actually an idea i've had for a while. modded starsector has only a couple cases of unique NPCs affecting stories and dialog outside of the normal scope of their mods, and this will attempt to expand that greatly.

CommonGuy24

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2024, 08:37:08 AM »

If the mod has nothing to do with prisoners and everything to do with making friends, maybe you should consider changing the name to avoid any confusion.

CrimsonLightning

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 08:38:18 AM »

TNP2 will be a labor of love, don't get that part wrong. this mod isn't made to one-up them, it's actually an idea i've had for a while. modded starsector has only a couple cases of unique NPCs affecting stories and dialog outside of the normal scope of their mods, and this will attempt to expand that greatly.

I see. That's good to know. Take the time you need, and make a product you can be proud of. Take care.

presidentmattdamon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 08:39:24 AM »

If the mod has nothing to do with prisoners and everything to do with making friends, maybe you should consider changing the name to avoid any confusion.

but the point is to not take prisoners

Ten Vigilant

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2024, 09:08:45 AM »

Good luck, starfarer.

CommonGuy24

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2024, 09:24:41 AM »

I thought the point was to make friends more. Or at least expand on the story impact of NPCs.
Quick suggestion for a better title could be "Living Universe- Maybe the real starsector was the friends we made along the way"

VladimirVV

• Lieutenant
  • Captain Vladimir Reporting In!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2024, 10:29:16 AM »

I thought the point was to make friends more. Or at least expand on the story impact of NPCs.
Quick suggestion for a better title could be "Living Universe- Maybe the real starsector was the friends we made along the way"

I can't agree more with you! I like making friends and developping contacts. I hope we could have more known people than active contacts, I mean not those who would offer missions, but those who we could simply chat with and do some simple interactions with.
Greetings from the P-Space! --Captain Vladimir

VladimirVV

• Lieutenant
  • Captain Vladimir Reporting In!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2024, 10:32:57 AM »

Good luck, starfarer! I like your idea about making the sector alive, adding more NPC's and more story options. I liked your TNP mod, and I'm looking forward to seeing your TNP2 mod!
Greetings from the P-Space! --Captain Vladimir

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2024, 02:05:33 PM »

Sounds very cool!  Good luck with the development!

Arkmagus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2024, 08:43:55 PM »

I like the concept, it feels bleak having random officers behaving like the ai cores without personality you loot everywhere and put on your ships, while administrators and other people you can talk to while docked in markets leave their mark in your memory, in both vanilla and modded sectors.

Farya

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2024, 09:17:18 PM »

Something similar to Mount&Blade system would be genuinely interesting to have. With captains from various factions which you can recruit and interact with. With each offering unique skills to assist the player in combat and maybe also on campaign layer. Would be interesting for example to have a captain who can serve as colony administrator when you don't currently need them as part of your fleet. They would also have their own opinions on your actions and will complain or leave outright if you do something they don't like. Pirate captain will find you boring if you are too diplomatic. Some humanist scientist will object indiscriminate bombardments. Pather captain will enjoy smashing remnants and denying that alpha for TT researcher. And they could potentially interact with eachother, which means player will have to deal with conflicts that arise between them or only keep people who can get along without much intervention.

RoquetheRogue

• Commander
  • personal text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2024, 07:57:22 PM »

Take No Prisoners 2
snip

Hey PMD, can we please get the captive crew mechanic this time? I truly miss the passive income from ransoming captive crew or harvesting them for organs and food like in that other, older mod (Capture Officers and Crew), I know you said you didn't like it, but I'm hoping you'll reconsider and add a unique requirement, say, needing a hullmod to hold captive crews, turning a ship into a prison ship or something.
A mind that opens itself to a new idea never returns to it's original size.

slackboy101

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2024, 04:57:42 AM »

I hope some bounty targets get the Ruka Yenni treatment, like the Star Wars ones or Captain Kidman
Pages: [1] 2