Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Obsessively Optimizing Wolfpack (Updated)  (Read 1226 times)

Zenaria

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Obsessively Optimizing Wolfpack (Updated)
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2024, 11:28:27 AM »

Yup it insane but with extra flux i kinda feel like you just brute force in.
along with AFF you just fire more ammo than your enemy.

have you try hightech wolfpack ?
you don't need to dodge shots you only need to take enough shots.

Glimmer with alpha core most likely become cheater but what i can say.

even so wolf pack didn't mean you can only use frigate

bring some destroyer and cruiser to hook attention might be a huge help

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Obsessively Optimizing Wolfpack
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2024, 02:23:51 PM »

I think taking automated ships instead of cybernetics is a good trade for going for an ultra-wide wolfpack fleet, even if they do end up flying something themselves with ~5 combat skills. It is lower power on the officered ships, but allows it to go very wide while maintaining the other officer bonuses (like wolfpack).
I meant Cyber aug+automated ships, automated ships is ~mandatory for frigate spam ofc.
Since there are already 5 points in tech EWM can be used as a combat skill (and cyber aug boost), electronic warfare isn't as good with SO but still always helpful.
Human ships get 1 extra skill and 2 extra elites, Glimmers stay at max CR and get a minor boost from Cyber aug, 2 skills left.

Siffrin

• Captain
  • Thermal Signature Detected
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2024, 06:22:15 PM »

I meant Cyber aug+automated ships, automated ships is ~mandatory for frigate spam ofc.
Since there are already 5 points in tech EWM can be used as a combat skill (and cyber aug boost), electronic warfare isn't as good with SO but still always helpful.
Human ships get 1 extra skill and 2 extra elites, Glimmers stay at max CR and get a minor boost from Cyber aug, 2 skills left.
Doesn't CyberAug have a disclaimer that it doesn't affect automated ships?
Gods most reckless Odyssey captain.

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2024, 07:46:56 PM »

Doesn't CyberAug have a disclaimer that it doesn't affect automated ships?
Forgot about that, my bad.

PixiCode

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2024, 09:04:24 AM »

I gotta call it small SO Fleet instead of wolfpack.
they play different.

only thing you can change could be switch from Bomber to interceptor.
main propose is to make clearways for your pack to prey.
lessen time to fought fighter. (mayb they just shrug it off since it's SO+reckless)
I think SO for a wolfpack is a requirement, +50base speed for frigates is insane. With so much speed, ships can dodge most incomming shots unless it's a hitscan and when that happens, they can quickly retreat behind other ships making it impossible to concentrate fire with so many tiny buggers flying around.

I tried a wolfpack without SO, but it just fails horribly against anything bigger, without SO, coordinated maneuvers, helmsmanship(+50base, +20%, +15% speed) frigates have a hard time dodging shots.

Although SO basically makes any wolfpack better, it’s not required. In particular, SO scarabs are the closest to the borderline of being better without SO.

The reason for this is partially due to their PPT, but largely because you can do some pretty good builds with just their default setup. I managed to make a flux neutral 4 ir pulser non-SO Scarab, and a 3 ir pulser 1 ion cannon flux positive non-SO scarab.

For extra spice, this build used smod IPDAI in order to make them annihilate fighters and missiles with the Point Defense+ skill, which also gives them all +200 range, making the scarab overall a bit safer besides against tachyons.

Having scarabs that actually last a fairly long time is nice. They don’t kill cruisers very fast unfortunately, but with the emp build they’re great support and can be paired with auroras and medusas. 

This scarab build is also particularly effective against the Persean league. The scarabs are fast enough to react to DEMs and long range enough to just barely hit DEMs past their activation range.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 09:06:43 AM by PixiCode »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2024, 10:12:42 AM »

Throw in an antimatter blaster or two and scarabs start to chew through cruisers too!

PixiCode

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2024, 10:40:05 AM »

Throw in an antimatter blaster or two and scarabs start to chew through cruisers too!

I try to limit that to SO - non SO scarabs can’t quite react to the spike in flux fast enough and since temporal shell also costs a burst log flux, it can cause issues sometimes. Plus they cost an arm and a leg in OP.

Not that it’s bad, it’s just my logic for keeping to the ir pulsers and ion cannon.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2024, 11:28:14 AM »

I haven't noticed any problem running non-SO with AM blasters. They cost a lot of OP, yes, so fitting them on a ship can be hard. Even just 1 is a massive spike in performance though.

eert5rty7u8i9i7u6yrewqdef

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2024, 12:46:43 PM »

I haven't noticed any problem running non-SO with AM blasters. They cost a lot of OP, yes, so fitting them on a ship can be hard. Even just 1 is a massive spike in performance though.
Have them fight against anything fast with heavy burst kinetics. Once they hit near max flux, they stop using their system and proceed to die. AM blasters reliably result in them getting
"flux locked".

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2024, 12:52:41 PM »

Not sure what to say - in my wolf pack run they did great. Never used SO, ran them up against everything, etc. My scarabs had like 5000 capacity, the flux spike from an amb wasn't an issue. Their average flux use isn't any higher than an ir pulse, they just need the capacity to deal with the occasional spike.

eert5rty7u8i9i7u6yrewqdef

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2024, 01:30:22 PM »

Not sure what to say - in my wolf pack run they did great. Never used SO, ran them up against everything, etc. My scarabs had like 5000 capacity, the flux spike from an amb wasn't an issue. Their average flux use isn't any higher than an ir pulse, they just need the capacity to deal with the occasional spike.
Did you fight elite bounties that had captained SE Eagles with dual needlers and fast support frigates that stick to Scarabs like glue? Or any big Ordo?
I've done multiple runs with Scarabs. The issue is reliably consistent until you start using weapons with a larger range. PD HSA tac lasers (950 range) are the only reliable way I've found to deal hardflux while keeping them from getting blown up vs heavy kinetic fire.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2024, 01:42:21 PM »

Yup. IR pulses, AMB, ions. The scarabs just kill the fast support frigates and swarm the SE eagles, with help from omens and phase ships.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2024, 02:16:47 PM »

If particular ships are a problem it’s really easy to deal with them last via avoid orders. Especially for a frigate Wolfpack.
Pages: 1 [2]