Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: infinite money method  (Read 881 times)

styxhelix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
infinite money method
« on: February 24, 2024, 07:37:14 AM »

I suggest something be done about it, because it makes the game more unchallenging than it already is.
1. Mass Sell commodity on BM (e.g. 20k food)
2. Raid it back (e.g. 2k marines)
3. Profit! You just got your commodities back (and maybe more), as well as the profit from selling it
You also get some xp

This method came to being because Alex changed the code regarding player-filled 'demand'.

Anyone know what the other inf money method was, that got patched?

Extras: if you have less than an massive amount of a commodity, you don't have to sell everything. Just sell until a new excess unit appears. effects are the same.
If you are rich enough to buy more expensive items, do that instead of food stacking. Much more efficient storage and moneymaker (20k for 200k food vs 2000 for 600k heavy armament)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 09:41:09 AM by styxhelix »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: infinite money method
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2024, 08:08:54 AM »

Yay for worlds with plot armor.  If you cannot sat bomb or raid them off the map, beat them up for infinite money instead because their plot armor prevents them from dying through zero stability from infinite raids.

Siffrin

• Captain
  • Thermal Signature Detected
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2024, 01:25:27 PM »

Wait how does this let you sell goods back? Won't you be locked out for that market for months due to all the commotion?

Nevermind I read the post wrong. IMO selling goods and stealing them back feels more intended rather than the more egregious examples of infinite money glitches where the player is just printing money out of nowhere. Also you can only do this once per market before it goes on cooldown due to the commotion from the raid. This is an infinite money glitch in the same way bounty hunting is infinite money if you do it long enough. I would put this more under free money because you don't lose the commodities you sold but still got the cash.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 01:29:32 PM by Siffrin »
Gods most reckless Odyssey captain.

Nettle

• Admiral
  • supplying bad takes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2024, 01:40:38 PM »

How come you couldn't do that before? What changed exactly?

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2024, 02:14:13 PM »

I mean….

Install comm sniffer(or a contact to like you). Get mercantile fleet info from them.

Blow up mercantile fleet. Fly to where the fleet was going and sell all their goods on the open market which now has a massive shortfall due to the lack of incoming mercantile fleet…

You lose rep for killing the mercantile fleet… but you gain rep for selling on the open market.

styxhelix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 12:22:54 AM »

I mean….

Install comm sniffer(or a contact to like you). Get mercantile fleet info from them.

Blow up mercantile fleet. Fly to where the fleet was going and sell all their goods on the open market which now has a massive shortfall due to the lack of incoming mercantile fleet…

You lose rep for killing the mercantile fleet… but you gain rep for selling on the open market.

What do you mean “I mean”? That’s literally just a strategy. Not an exploit as it is clearly intended and not scalable.

styxhelix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 12:23:35 AM »

How come you couldn't do that before? What changed exactly?

before you wouldnt create a ton of excess units by selling items, which was changed in the 0.97 update.

Anvel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2024, 12:37:27 AM »

Yeh, and to do that you need "only" 20k units of food and 2k marrines... You know that from a single red ordo fleet you can get cores worth of 1-2 millions? Or you can kill caravan carring armaments or drugs and again get 1-2 millions? The way you described gonna block that market for months.

styxhelix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2024, 12:51:48 AM »

Yeh, and to do that you need "only" 20k units of food and 2k marrines... You know that from a single red ordo fleet you can get cores worth of 1-2 millions? Or you can kill caravan carring armaments or drugs and again get 1-2 millions? The way you described gonna block that market for months.

Hello silly person, what you said is very brainless.
1. 20k food is only $400k. 2k marines is also only $400k. You make around 300k a single raid with negligible need for replacement. If you're scared of big numbers in cargo space, just condense your balance into a more valuable item like heavy armaments, which I showed in the post.
2. You 'can' get cores worth 1-2 million's(ic)' if you are extremely lucky. Very very lucky. So lucky that pointing out this miniscule chance is worthless.
3. Killing caravans won't make you nearly 1-2million's(ic)'.
4. It blocks the market for "at least a month". Not a big deal. Why would you think it would block it for multiple months?

This is literally the fastest way to make money in the game, and absolutely reliable AND scalable. Can't believe its getting compared to ambushing convoys by some noobs who think they're smart.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 12:57:04 AM by styxhelix »

Siffrin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2024, 01:10:16 AM »

Hello silly person, what you said is very brainless.
Can't believe its getting compared to ambushing convoys by some noobs who think they're smart.
Charming.

Repeating what I said but sure it's "infinite" the same way just doing missions will be infinite money if you just keep on doing them. What defines the Starsector infinite money exploits are that they can be done an unlimited amount of times extremely quickly. Selling a ton of goods to create surplus then buying them back for less than what you sold them for and doing that repeatedly is what infinite money exploit is. Time spent travelling to different markets after you cause a commotion? Purchasing a large amount of marines? Lugging around tons of Atlas freighters? None of that matters here you just need a single Prometheus and a large amount of fuel (one of the easiest commodities to buy in bulk). Your "infinite money method" isn't even comparable to the ones that Alex has patched out, you're just selling someone stuff and stealing it back afterwards there's no exploits here, you aren't creating more money out of thin air.

vuntron

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2024, 02:21:19 AM »

imagine playing a wild west space cowboy video game and calling crime an exploit

I am like 80% certain that there was a dev post that mentioned this exact scenario as intended/allowed btw.

styxhelix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2024, 02:27:27 AM »

Repeating what I said but sure it's "infinite" the same way just doing missions will be infinite money if you just keep on doing them. What defines the Starsector infinite money exploits are that they can be done an unlimited amount of times extremely quickly. Selling a ton of goods to create surplus then buying them back for less than what you sold them for and doing that repeatedly is what infinite money exploit is. Time spent travelling to different markets after you cause a commotion? Purchasing a large amount of marines? Lugging around tons of Atlas freighters? None of that matters here you just need a single Prometheus and a large amount of fuel (one of the easiest commodities to buy in bulk). Your "infinite money method" isn't even comparable to the ones that Alex has patched out, you're just selling someone stuff and stealing it back afterwards there's no exploits here, you aren't creating more money out of thin air.
*sigh*

I can make tens of millions of dollars with every marine raid of 2k (more or less) marines, but noooooooo thats "intended".
Ok let's break this silliness down
"Repeating what I said but sure it's "infinite" the same way just doing missions will be infinite money if you just keep on doing them. What defines the Starsector infinite money exploits are that they can be done an unlimited amount of times extremely quickly."
You run missions for 100k. I make 10 million credits with every raid. I make 100x your income. You need to run all over the place to do your missions, hiding, trading and hunting bounties, while I go to any random planet I have the power to raid at a fraction of your time.
Considering the only real places that would be 'hard' to raid are the home planets of the factions, I would be able to run circles around the core an 'unlimited amount of times', if it wasn't for the fact that this strategy is so easy and quick that you honestly might hit the cooldown.

"Selling a ton of goods to create surplus then buying them back for less than what you sold them for and doing that repeatedly is what infinite money exploit is. Time spent travelling to different markets after you cause a commotion? Purchasing a large amount of marines? Lugging around tons of Atlas freighters?"

Sure, this strategy might only make you a few hundred million credits instead of a billion you could have made in the same time if you could buy and resell, but at that point it really doesn't make a difference. You spend like a literal single day getting between core worlds. Is it hard to lug around Atlas freighters? With how tiny patrols are, you won't even be attacked after you raid lmao.

"None of that matters here you just need a single Prometheus and a large amount of fuel (one of the easiest commodities to buy in bulk). Your "infinite money method" isn't even comparable to the ones that Alex has patched out, you're just selling someone stuff and stealing it back afterwards there's no exploits here, you aren't creating more money out of thin air."

I don't think you grasp that there is a difference between running around the map, searching for mission targets and bounties, and brainlessly making millions with, besides of tiny task of moving from planet to planet, actions so repetitive it could be macro'd. Stealing is just as simple, just as skilless, as selling and rebuying. While I might not be creating money out of thin air, the colonies I am selling my items to are, and that all comes to me. Understand that the only thing limiting the amount of money that could be made is your carrying capacity.

I did not expect that I would have to explain something as simple as this when I made the post. I hope this helps you grasp the foolishness of your words.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 02:30:42 AM by styxhelix »

Siffrin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2024, 02:36:38 AM »

*sigh*

I can make tens of millions of dollars with every marine raid of 2k (more or less) marines, but noooooooo thats "intended".
"Repeating what I said but sure it's "infinite" the same way just doing missions will be infinite money if you just keep on doing them. What defines the Starsector infinite money exploits are that they can be done an unlimited amount of times extremely quickly."
You run missions for 100k. I make 10 million credits with every raid. I make 100x your income. You need to run all over the place to do your missions, hiding, trading and hunting bounties, while I go to any random planet I have the power to raid at a fraction of your time.
Considering the only real places that would be 'hard' to raid are the home planets of the factions, I would be able to run circles around the core an 'unlimited amount of times', if it wasn't for the fact that this strategy is so easy and quick that you honestly might hit the cooldown.
20 thousand food (no, not even 20 thousand heavy armaments) will net you 10 million credits you can stop making up numbers for the sake of your arguement.

Edit: Oh I understand why you used the 10 million credits number now. I tested this and you just looked at the "projected spoils value" said and saw the big number which made your brain go "WoAh!", that's so sad. Maybe learn how the economy works first before calling something an exploit?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 02:39:48 AM by Siffrin »

styxhelix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2024, 03:24:22 AM »

*sigh*

20 thousand food (no, not even 20 thousand heavy armaments) will net you 10 million credits you can stop making up numbers for the sake of your arguement.

Edit: Oh I understand why you used the 10 million credits number now. I tested this and you just looked at the "projected spoils value" said and saw the big number which made your brain go "WoAh!", that's so sad. Maybe learn how the economy works first before calling something an exploit?

I didn't bother calculating it. 10 million, 5 million, whatever million, doesn't matter. You will never spend that much, because you're still maxed out whether you have tens or hundreds of millions. Interesting that you only mentioned the arbitrarily exaggerated number and nothing else of what I said.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 03:29:35 AM by styxhelix »

Siffrin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2024, 03:36:59 AM »

I didn't bother calculating it. 10 million, 5 million, whatever million, doesn't matter. You will never spend that much, because you're still maxed out whether you have tens or hundreds of millions.
Not even close buddy, it's 300k credits. You get 300k credits from selling 20000 heavy armaments and raiding them all back. Now whats interesting is that the magical 10 million credits number does become relevant again because thats the total price for all those heavy armaments. It's 10 million because you have to get all those armaments from your colonies stockpile because unlike your made-up world, markets will run out of stock in this game. So you need heavy industry set up on multiple or one decently sized colony. At that point they will be netting you way more cash than it is worth the trouble of doing your so-called exploit. You aren't making any good points at all and are just blatantly making stuff up at this point.
Pages: [1] 2