Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Get rid of type "delete" to delete saves  (Read 317 times)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Get rid of type "delete" to delete saves
« on: February 22, 2024, 11:35:01 PM »

And I'll keep making this suggestion until it gets fixed. Yes fixed as in the current system serves literally no purpose. Every normal game in existence has a simple "Are you sure?" prompt, I don't see why that can't be a thing here.

This post was inspired by me experimenting with something in the game and making a bunch of save copies. Then I got hit with a decision, is my typing speed faster than finding the game files and manually figuring out which saves I need to vaporize. So please can we get rid of this archaic thingy.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Get rid of type "delete" to delete saves
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 11:40:14 AM »

i deal with this by deleting save files directly from the folder... Figured this out when trying to fix my procgen system...

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2024, 11:46:37 AM »

Yeah that's literally what I mentioned in the post, and that is ridiculous that players have to resort to that.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2024, 11:55:29 AM »

you shouldn't underestimate how easy it is to mistake "save game" with "load game" late at night. And I would assume the same thing for "delete", at like 6 a.m. in the morning after a 12 hour long session of testing warthogs against remnants.

Yeah that's literally what I mentioned in the post, and that is ridiculous that players have to resort to that.
sry
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 11:57:23 AM by Killer of Fate »

Zsar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2024, 06:23:52 PM »

Alternatively, maybe one of the following might be a good compromise:
  • allow highlighting more than one save and have us type "delete" only once to delete all highlighted
  • add specific buttons "delete all older saves" (for predecessors of Save Copy) and "delete all older-version saves" (for after upgrading to a newer Starsector version) and have us type "delete" only once to delete all pertaining saves
    - these should cover >90% of all cases where we want to delete several saves at the same time

Siffrin

• Captain
  • Thermal Signature Detected
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2024, 08:46:34 PM »

• allow highlighting more than one save and have us type "delete" only once to delete all highlighted
Huge fan of this.
Gods most reckless Odyssey captain.

Cruacious

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2024, 04:10:21 PM »

I can get on board with this. An "Are you sure" button usually prevents most mishaps.