Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I'm starting to hate anything bigger than a destroyer.  (Read 1335 times)

majk

• Commander
    • View Profile
I'm starting to hate anything bigger than a destroyer.
« on: February 13, 2024, 12:49:16 PM »

Big ships are amazing for single, big fights, but for campaign i am seriously starting to hate them.
You are very often fighting many fleets one after another (at least i do) and capitals are pretty much bam'n'done thing where they blow their cr on two- three fights and end up recovering it at the rate of 3% per day.
Yesterday i had problems with hegemony kinda tired of my attitude and i needed a fix and i noticed a system bounty with 38 days left.
With my fleet of 25 frigates i killed enough pirate fleets in the hyperspace to go from neutral to 100% before the bounty ended (i think there was a pirate raid too). Good luck doing that with those slow capitals.

Sorry if i'm ranting, but i got really tired of waiting weeks just to get combat readines back. >:(

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: I'm starting to hate anything bigger than a destroyer.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2024, 12:54:23 PM »

yeah, wiping out smaller fleets of pesky junk vessels should be left to more cost-effective ships. Whilst capitals and cruisers should be kept only for serious engagements... And if you have trouble with waiting for them to fully refill their CR, maybe u should consider putting efficiency overhaul on them.

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 12:55:24 PM »

CR is mostly a tech thing isn't it? Slap an Efficiencly Overhaul on an Onslaught and it's back to 100% in less than 3 days.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 01:07:38 PM »

Hm. Maybe s-modding efficiency overhaul should further increase CR recovery rate?

For me, though, part of the trick here - even with frigates - is to manage what I'm deploying into any given fight. Sure, I might be hauling around six cruiser+ size ships, but most fights - especially against pirates - don't need all of those on the field. So for lesser fights I get my endurance by only putting half my fleet (or less) into the battle, which then means that many more fights I can run in a row.

Or, in some cases, significantly less than half my fleet. The average random pirate raiders typically get me fielding my flagship (an Aurora), and maybe a couple of frigates if I've got officers I'm trying to level.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 01:36:48 PM »

Get Field Repairs? (Would be great if civvie ships didn't murdered your bonuses reeeeee)
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 01:39:44 PM »

Get Field Repairs? (Would be great if civvie ships didn't murdered your bonuses reeeeee)
This makes it even worse, I'm running Field Repairs in my run since there's no better tier 1 Industry skill for me (I have ships that usually take hull damage). And it's annoying because the repairs are finished way faster than CR. And this is with all of my cruisers and capitals having Efficiency Overhaul. So in chaotic places you're forced to afk hide in an asteroid field to regain CR.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 01:57:46 PM »

To be fair, the repairs being done faster than CR means they were all free, which is nice.

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2024, 01:58:32 PM »

Big ships are amazing for single, big fights, but for campaign i am seriously starting to hate them.
You are very often fighting many fleets one after another (at least i do) and capitals are pretty much bam'n'done thing where they blow their cr on two- three fights and end up recovering it at the rate of 3% per day.
Yesterday i had problems with hegemony kinda tired of my attitude and i needed a fix and i noticed a system bounty with 38 days left.
With my fleet of 25 frigates i killed enough pirate fleets in the hyperspace to go from neutral to 100% before the bounty ended (i think there was a pirate raid too). Good luck doing that with those slow capitals.

Sorry if i'm ranting, but i got really tired of waiting weeks just to get combat readines back. >:(

I mean, you have the solution to your problem in your own post. Don't deploy large warships to do swift merc work like hunting small pirate fleets. There are costs to deploying a capital warship in battle, obviously, and it's clearly shown in the game. I'm not sure where the issue is. Ships are good at different things? That's a given.
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

Zenaria

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2024, 09:01:44 PM »

how about having a big ship to discourage those pirate from fighting you ?

since it will be pursuit battle. so i can slap two or three cruiser for a job and done with it.

mark.sucka

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2024, 09:53:44 PM »

Lots of sound advice already mentioned in thread

Match ships deployed to the threat.  A Cap can certainly take out frigates, but destroyers will do it more efficiently.  Keep the caps in the fleet to create FP dominance to force the enemy to flee, catch them with a superior burn rate (thanks to AFD, Bulk Transport, Navigation and/or Sensors), then auto-resolve with a frigate/destroyer or two, no need to even deploy the cap to make use of its power.  I usually never deploy caps except for large-scale battles (30+ enemy ships), or if I'm doing special pirate system bounties trying to farm XP for the ship (Progressive S-Mod mod).

Efficiency Overhaul = +50% improvement to CR regen.  5 ships for the cost of 4 (or 10 for the price of 7 if you s-mod it) is a nice secondary bonus.

Pick your fights around systems with populated planets.  Dock repairs are instantaneous.  It doesn't cost much to maintain at least neutral standing with everyone (except Pirates & Pathers), and neutral is enough to be allowed access to the docks (I think even -35 is still ok).

Field Repairs gives a lot of perks with getting ships back to fighting shape after battles.  25% of damage instantly healed, +50% repair rate thereafter.  Alternatively, if a ship is borderline dead mid-battle, just suicide it into the enemy.  Then recover it at 30-40% hull & CR, which might possibly be a quicker repair in total than say 50% CR / 1% hull and armor.  Need Containment Procedures & Hull Restoration to offset the side effects of dead crew & D-Mods though.

Tons of other minor adds
Combat Endurance, Crew Training, Hull Restoration.  All +max to CR %.  You can do more back to back fights if you start at 100% CR than you can when you start at 70% CR.
Impact Mitigation, Damage Control, Polarized Armor, Elite Combat Endurance, Elite Systems Expertise.  Less damage taken = less to repair.

Candypowers

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2024, 05:59:59 AM »

You can also run to the nearest uninhabited planet, temporarily colonize it and repair there. uncolonize when done with the area.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 06:08:07 AM by Candypowers »

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2024, 06:45:58 AM »

(Would be great if civvie ships didn't murdered your bonuses reeeeee)

Hi- if you wish to express frustration, please do so without repeating an ugly meme into this forum. Thanks.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2024, 11:07:12 AM »

(Would be great if civvie ships didn't murdered your bonuses reeeeee)

Hi- if you wish to express frustration, please do so without repeating an ugly meme into this forum. Thanks.
Invoking blue text for a small remark seems a bit excessive but ok
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2024, 12:45:51 PM »

Invoking blue text for a small remark seems a bit excessive but ok

Please familiarize yourself with the forum rules, specifically the section about accepting/not discussing moderation. You're absolutely free to disagree with moderator decisions, but we're not going to have an argument or discussion about it on the forum. If every moderator decision could be argued about, we'd never see the end of it.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2024, 12:48:08 PM »

You can also run to the nearest uninhabited planet, temporarily colonize it and repair there. uncolonize when done with the area.
1000 people vanish
Pages: [1] 2