Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [0.97a] Perilous Expanse 1.4.0 - Dangerous and Dynamic Exploration  (Read 21261 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a] Perilous Expanse 1.4.0 - Dangerous and Dynamic Exploration
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2024, 09:29:42 PM »

So as it turns out, alaricdragon is a legend who already managed to get a patch out for Crew Replacer: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=24249.0

As I suspected, the problem was caused by the mod ID being different for nomadic survival and perilous expanse. Crew Replacer was checking for the nomadic ID, but not the perilous one. This is a problem I should've anticipated and warned alaricdragon about prior to releasing perilous expanse. Totally my fault, not theirs. Lesson learned!

Matheld

• Lieutenant
  • Warm to the Touch
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2024, 06:36:43 AM »

Updated CrewReplacer and yep. Operations now work fine!

Edit 24/02 18:49: Some feedback and suggestions now that I've had the chance to test the mod out to it's full potential. But it's been great fun so far. Adds a lot of interesting extra stuff to do out in the sector.

For ground operations, there should be a randomised chance to lose crew, rather than just a flat exchange. I mean.. it seems kind of needlessly cruel to send your crew down, knowing with 100% certainty that a number won't come back. So much like with salvaging, I think it should be.. yeah, a randomised chance depending on hazard and so on. To account for accidents and so on, rather than just.. "Crewman #4553 jump into the machinery and use your blood and guts to oil the gear!"

And for when you involve marines, such as when you instead decide to attack slavers and free the people and recruit them as crew. I feel that would make more sense to be like a designated ground combat thing, like a raid? Even if the slavers can't threaten your ships directly, your marines and their support craft would still be at somewhat of a risk and the risk would scale with size of the slaver operation.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 09:49:40 AM by Matheld »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2024, 07:50:25 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you're enjoying it  ;D

I get what you're saying about risk to crew for sure! The mod definitely presents people as "human resources" to a worse extent than the base game. I originally planned for crew and marine losses to be randomized, but I never quite worked out a way to do it that wouldn't cause bigger problems. Simply randomizing losses would be super easy, but it gets a lot more complicated with the need to clearly display predicted outcomes and avoid incentivizing save-scumming. I've got a few ideas to work around the problems though. I'll give it another shot when I work on the next major update.

And for when you involve marines, such as when you instead decide to attack slavers and free the people and recruit them as crew. I feel that would make more sense to be like a designated ground combat thing, like a raid? Even if the slavers can't threaten your ships directly, your marines and their support craft would still be at somewhat of a risk and the risk would scale with size of the slaver operation.
Yeah, that would be good! I'm not sure the actual raiding system would work, but even so I could make it work a lot more like raiding. I've got some notes about expanding the functionality of little events like that. Not sure I'll ever get to add that stuff, but I added a comment to try to make any events that involve combat behave much more like raids.

secondcircle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2024, 03:06:12 PM »

Hello, This looks cool I'm going to give it a try, I'm curious, does you get extra rewards for bounties that are distant from center? I saw a line about exploration, but it seems bounties would work the same way.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2024, 05:15:21 PM »

Well, thanks! I hope you enjoy it  ;D

This mod doesn't change how many credits you get from bounties, no. The game tries to spawn bounties close to the core worlds, so in practice a bonus for distance would rarely matter much. The base game doesn't scale bounty pay based on distance either. Every once in a while a bounty fleet will spawn pretty far out, but it's actually pretty useful when they do since they can provide a decent amount of fuel.

rawkhawklives

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2024, 07:16:41 AM »

As a fan of the previous alternate difficulty modes, I believe I liked Illiad or Odyssey its been a while tho, it's super cool to see some of their concepts expanded upon in this tweak. I rather missed playing those modes and had forgotten about them. I am excited to try this mod, for sure.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2024, 04:29:54 PM »

I hope you like it  ;D
Not sure what you mean about the alternate difficulty mods. Sounds interesting though!

Edit: Oh! Maybe it was something from Unofficial New Game Plus?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 04:33:45 PM by Sundog »

A_Random_Dude

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2024, 06:15:32 PM »

Nope, Illyad and Odyssey were from Second Wave Options iirc. Made repairs/fuel consumption increase as you got further away from the core worlds from what I remember.

Matheld

• Lieutenant
  • Warm to the Touch
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2024, 12:31:42 PM »

Just to go back on a previous point: Do you calculate the experience of marines into the equation when they're used as a resource?

Since they are just spent as is, that could be a fairly significant loss of experience for your marines, since it's not an action they would get any experience from (like a raid, as mentioned previously). Realistically, you'd need way less marines depending on their battle experience.

Side Suggestion: I've been wondering whether or not the later stages of drive field destabilisation should also start to affect military ships, like Severe-Extreme or just Critical-Extreme since at that point your drive field would be in tatters and probably wouldn't even protect military ships.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 12:42:38 PM by Matheld »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2024, 08:32:49 AM »

Thanks again for the feedback!  ;D

I've got a note to improve the efficiency of operations marines are involved in proportionally to their raid effectiveness, but I haven't prioritized it. It's near the top of my list for this mod, but I've been focusing my efforts on a different project. It probably won't make it in until I take a break work on mod updates again (for the next major Starsector update, probably)

Side Suggestion: I've been wondering whether or not the later stages of drive field destabilisation should also start to affect military ships, like Severe-Extreme or just Critical-Extreme since at that point your drive field would be in tatters and probably wouldn't even protect military ships.
The drive field anomaly mechanics are already too complicated in my opinion, so I wouldn't want that to be the default, but I suppose something like that might be an interesting setting. I'm not convinced it's worth adding, but I'm open to persuasion  :)

Matheld

• Lieutenant
  • Warm to the Touch
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2024, 11:01:26 AM »

The drive field anomaly mechanics are already too complicated in my opinion, so I wouldn't want that to be the default, but I suppose something like that might be an interesting setting. I'm not convinced it's worth adding, but I'm open to persuasion  :)

Naah it was mostly a thought that occurred to me, I'm at a stage in my current save that I pretty much run exclusively Military ships. So the destabilised field never really becomes an issue anymore. Which I suppose is just a natural progression for late stage saves.

Still, the ground operations have saved me countless times already when I've run out of supplies or fuel, even with my current fleet (I am very scatter brained).

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2024, 06:39:02 PM »

Ah, gotcha. And, yeah, the only type of ship the anomaly is meant to be a big issue for is tankers.
Glad to hear you've been able to put the operations to good use! One time I somehow brought ten fewer organics than I was supposed to for a commodity delivery to my colony at the edge of the abyss, so I had to do an op to go get them   ::)

Matheld

• Lieutenant
  • Warm to the Touch
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2024, 07:59:22 AM »

Glad to hear you've been able to put the operations to good use! One time I somehow brought ten fewer organics than I was supposed to for a commodity delivery to my colony at the edge of the abyss, so I had to do an op to go get them   ::)

Oh I love them really, makes planets so much more interesting and worth investigating.

Something else I've been thinking about is planetary operations on planet you own as a colony. As it is right now it's you know, fine. And I figure that the planetary conditions decide what kinds of operations you can find on the planet already.

But it would be cool if it were expanded upon, say when you colonise a planet with a fair few planetary operations (such as roaming scavengers, left over industries, hireable marines, etc) if they had an impact on additional bonuses, negatives and other conditions that would make each planet kind of unique in a way.

Whether that be as "simple" as some planetary operations being conducted automatically. An example: if you can hire marines/crew for food. Maybe if you build a farm on that planet. You will also get either a marine/crew resource (or more population growth from crew resource(though I guess the decivilised condition already does this)) or automatically have marines/crew be put into your storage in exchange for less food output or whatever

Or even just remove some operations as you develop your colony. Since building a mining industry would probably go ontop of the ore deposits that exist via the planetary operations (even here you could then also give a bonus, such as lower upkeep (since it's easier to mine) or extra resource output, etc)

There's a lot of things that could be done here, I feel. And maybe you already have plans yourself. Or maybe you don't feel like doing it, which is also fine. The mod is great as is, but I figured I'd give my suggestion anyway :)

Mitroll

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2024, 11:40:00 AM »

Is there a way to make bounties and stuff spawn closer to the core? I like the idea of making the edges more mysterious by making it harder to get out there, but the illusion is kind of ruined when every small-time pirate is chilling out there (and people still expect me to go all the way out there and get them for like 50k credits).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 11:44:50 AM by Mitroll »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2024, 04:59:16 PM »

@Matheld: Thanks once again for the feedback! I think you've got some good ideas. Generally, I think of the planetary conditions as the colony affects associated with the operations, but I see where you're coming from. It's not a 1 to 1 relationship, after all. Still, my intention for the planetary operation sites is for them to be too small/minor to be of any real consequence to a colony, and changing that would be pretty huge. I do really like the idea of making it possible for colonies to manage/automate operations. That could prevent situations where a player might feel compelled to visit one of their colonies periodically just to perform operations, and it just makes a lot of sense. I'll see if I can figure out a good way to make that work.

Or even just remove some operations as you develop your colony. Since building a mining industry would probably go ontop of the ore deposits that exist via the planetary operations
I did consider doing something like that, but in the end I figured it would be best not to have any downsides to colonization like that, especially if I don't have a good way to make people aware of it. It's also an interpretation of realism that some people might not share (e.g. it might be more economical for a proper mining operation to ignore scattered outcrops in favor of high-density ore veins, even if the outcrops don't require special infrastructure)

Is there a way to make bounties and stuff spawn closer to the core? I like the idea of making the edges more mysterious by making it harder to get out there, but the illusion is kind of ruined when every small-time pirate is chilling out there (and people still expect me to go all the way out there and get them for like 50k credits).
I don't know of any way to do that without overwriting the game's code. The game does prefer to spawn bounties closer to the center, but not so much that the number of options is too limited. My suggestion would be to increase the actual size of the sector a bit (not too much, as it can have a dramatic affect on performance). You can do that by editing /starsector-core/data/config/settings.json or using a mod like Random Assortment of Things or Adjusted Sector. For best results you'd want to start a new game with the new settings.
Pages: 1 [2] 3