Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Unfair Deployment Points (i guess)  (Read 803 times)

redbeaksalvagesage

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Unfair Deployment Points (i guess)
« on: February 13, 2024, 02:14:05 AM »

So, how do deployment points work? Will we not always be able to get the full 240 points? I know, based on various factors, at the beginning a various number of deployment points will be determined, then we can add points by controlling the objectives, right... But why is it that sometimes I can only get a maximum of eg 200 points, even though I have controlled the Comm Relay, Sensor Jammer... And when my enemy can get the full 240 points just because of their numbers (bruh why can we only get a maximum of 30 ships) it annoys me... Like, come on, it's not fair..

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Unfair Deployment Points (i guess)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2024, 02:31:55 AM »

You will always hit 200 DP from capturing two objectives(and there are always two on "your side" of the map, so this is practically guaranteed if you put any effort into actually capturing them) If you're lucky you can get two Comm Relays and get to 240, but it's rare and you shouldn't count on it.

You will always hit full 240 DP from capturing three objectives. This is harder since you need fast/strong ships and/or ECM skill to get the third point, but because of how AI fleets work(almost entire of the enemy fleet will always go to their nearest point, if they're equally distant it will go to the one on your left) it's still very doable.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 04:08:19 AM by Lawrence Master-blaster »

Ruddygreat

• Admiral
  • Seals :^)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 03:14:30 AM »

So, how do deployment points work?

Deployment points are given out based on the number of officers & their levels on each side.
I don't know the exact numbers, but basically you need more, higher level officers to get more of the starting DP split.

(bruh why can we only get a maximum of 30 ships).

the AI can also only have 30 ships in their fleets.

Phenir

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 10:28:55 AM »

Tooltips are your friend

mark.sucka

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 05:33:36 PM »

You're speaking as a low level captain.

Once you're a higher level fleet admiral, you may feel it is unfair in the opposite direction.

The enemy "commander" rarely takes the meta leadership and industrial skills to maximize fleet power, instead they tend to pick up large amounts of combat skills, basically becoming little more than a uber-ship officer that super-charges their flagship power by maybe 30-50%.  Don't be them.

A 400 DP battle, if both teams of officers are equal in level & number and all else is equal, gives 200 DP to each side.  As others point out, if the enemy commander has better/more officers than you, they may get up to a max of 240 DP and you only get 160 DP.  This forces you to rush to capture 2 objectives just to get up to 200 DP yourself to try to level the playing field...or does it?

Pick up Support Doctrine & Derelict Operations, save yourself the $20k - $30.6k per month on officer salaries by not having any, and you can field 285 DP worth of ships at the battle start versus the enemy's 240 DP.  Pick up Best of the Best too, and you can field 357 DP worth of ships.

By late game with good leadership/industry skills, the only unfair fights I tend to get frustrated with are when you get ganked by a horde of max ship fleets all clustered together into 1 massive battle.  Yeah, my ships are good, but they do suffer PPT attrition when they've each got to kill 8 or more enemy ships a piece.  A bit unfair when I'm limited to 1 fleet but the enemy can send a dozen....thank you Nex for Detachments :)

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 09:16:57 PM »

The deployment points is heavily based on the number of officers you have and their number of levels. As of 0.95.1a (the last time I tested this, although I'm not aware of any changes since then), it's basically 250 * number of officers + 75 * total officer levels, then add the DP of ships. Each side's total is then compared with each other to get the starting deployment % for each side. So a level 6 officer counts as much as 700 DP's worth of ships. So yeah it's basically just the officers that matter.

Note that you the player character also count, so at max level (level 15), you count as adding 1375 to your side.

At the highest levels, such as against [REDACTED], enemy fleets will always have more officers than you, so you can count on always only being able to deploy the minimum of 40% of battle size at the start, while they start with 60%. Each Comm Relay you capture gives you an additional 10%, while the others give you 5%. Both sides can get up to 60% of battle size.

You can take Best of the Best to start with 50% instead. Note that the +10% from BotB does not stack with the bonuses from the objectives, so you still need to capture enough objectives to get from 40% up to 60% even if you have BotB. It just means that you won't fall below 50% if you have BotB.

redbeaksalvagesage

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 09:29:48 PM »

You will always hit 200 DP from capturing two objectives(and there are always two on "your side" of the map, so this is practically guaranteed if you put any effort into actually capturing them) If you're lucky you can get two Comm Relays and get to 240, but it's rare and you shouldn't count on it.

You will always hit full 240 DP from capturing three objectives.
Ooh, I didn't know that, thank you so much.

redbeaksalvagesage

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 09:31:41 PM »

Tooltips are your friend
Yahh, I've read that, but I still couldn't understand, and thankfully these replies are really helps

redbeaksalvagesage

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2024, 09:38:32 PM »

(bruh why can we only get a maximum of 30 ships).

the AI can also only have 30 ships in their fleets.
Wait.. Lol, I just realized that. Well, it seems I was too lazy to count and immediately assumed they had more than 30 ships. Thanks for the information.

redbeaksalvagesage

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2024, 09:41:57 PM »

Thank you to everyone who answered my questions, it was all very helpful!  :D

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2024, 09:42:06 PM »

I prefer Electronic Warfare to Best of the Best when it comes to getting DP. BotB giver you 40 DP, whereas Electronic Warfare enables you to get 80 very quickly, at the cost of around 10 DP, which is still 70 net DP.