Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: colony crisis fleets  (Read 828 times)

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
colony crisis fleets
« on: February 11, 2024, 09:46:57 AM »

currently the amount and strength of fleets you get during a colony crisis or even just as the event progesses feels really overtuned and it feels as if colonizing before you have at least 2-3 combat capitals is hardly doable.

for example, i colonized a system when i had 2 cruisers and some smaller ships and at that point you just can't fight off any of the fleets others will send after you. i got myself a capital and more ships but once the tritach merc raid showed up, they just came with well over a dozen fleets, each superior to mine

League blockade? oh yeah, 16 fleets with 2 or more capitals, completely swarming the system. those you can take out via the supply fleets but that's better said than done when the whole system is swarming with fleets

pirates too, in npc systems pirate armadas only show up once an actual raid is coming but for your system they show up just via event progress, and those also barely have dmods, as opposed the the regular pirate shitboxes

can we please get better scaling on how many enemy fleets are active and how big they are according to player fleet size and colony size?

i've been playing this game for years and never been that much into colonies but with how it is rn i won't even be thinking about colonizing unless i have several capitals and millions in the bank

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: colony crisis fleets
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 10:16:21 AM »

i won't even be thinking about colonizing unless i have several capitals and millions in the bank
If you need that much power to handle a colony crisis, you're doing something very wrong.

Not saying your feedback is invalid, but people have been overreacting about enemy fleets. You don't need to kill every single one, there are other options.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 10:26:31 AM »

as if colonizing before you have at least 2-3 combat capitals is hardly doable.

Sounds like WAD to me...

Nimiety

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 10:40:21 AM »

Yeah the system can be punishing if you're doing the usual trade drugs for a few million then invest. Persean league attention is the worst, you have to not settle multiple worlds or they will slam the crisis meter to max really fast.

Pizzarugi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 11:05:29 AM »

I only did pirate, Persean League, and Luddic Path crises (I avoided the others) and the trick to handling them is to prioritize defenses ASAP. Get yourself a star fortress and military HQ. Having defense fleets fight wandering raiders and crisis enemies helps whittle them down and could even provide assistance in fights you get into. Also, if necessary, camp by your star fortress at all times. Doing so means after each fight, you can make a quick stop to your colony for immediate repairs.

Each crisis has a way of averting the event. Persean League is simply joining them if you don't mind paying the 20% dues (but at least you won't be harassed by Hegemony AI inspections). Tri-Tachyon just needs you beating up on their merc raider fleets harassing your colonies (no reputation loss), destroying their trade ships, and raiding their colonies. Luddic Church is simply asking an official to put a stop to their migration. Luddic Path is providing them a PK. I think pirates needs Kanta's Protection which is bribing her with either a million credits or a planet item (ex. Combat Drone Replicator). You can't stop Hegemony AI inspections beyond simply not employing AI cores.

Now here's something I don't know and wonder if anyone has an answer to: Does averting the crisis in other ways give you the full benefit of whatever bonus offered as if you handled the event? Obviously there's exceptions like joining the Persean League (doing the crisis event and winning waives the 20% dues down to 5%), but would averting Tri-Tachyon's event give you the same accessibility benefits as if you did it?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 11:07:04 AM by Pizzarugi »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2024, 11:11:58 AM »

... but would averting Tri-Tachyon's event give you the same accessibility benefits as if you did it?

Spoiler
Depends on what you mean by "averting". If you do it by e.g. reducing Colony Crises event progress until a different event gets rolled, then no. The TriTach situation is a little less binary - you get the accessibility bonus for completing the "Tri-Tachyon Commerce Raiding" event. Defeating/bribing the mercs gives you +progress to that event, but *also* stops the mercs from coming again and takes down commerce raiding activity in your systems by a couple of notches.
[close]

... it feels as if colonizing before you have at least 2-3 combat capitals is hardly doable.

(Just want to say that, while it might feel that way - even if one chooses a combat way of dealing with all of the crises, this is 100% not the case!)

Pizzarugi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2024, 11:19:18 AM »

Spoiler
Depends on what you mean by "averting". If you do it by e.g. reducing Colony Crises event progress until a different event gets rolled, then no. The TriTach situation is a little less binary - you get the accessibility bonus for completing the "Tri-Tachyon Commerce Raiding" event. Defeating/bribing the mercs gives you +progress to that event, but *also* stops the mercs from coming again and takes down commerce raiding activity in your systems by a couple of notches.
[close]

Spoiler
Thanks for the answer, but I feel that I need to clarify in particular with Tri-Tachyon's crisis. In this event, the crisis can be averted entirely by doing what Arroyo suggests: Destroying trade fleets and disrupting colony infrastructure. Doing so will have them put a bounty out for you, but persisting enough will force the faction to give up harassing you and stop generating progress towards the event.

Would averting the crisis in this way void whatever reward I would've gotten had I chosen to instead confront the mercenary crisis fleet? If yes, I may have to start a new game just to see what I would've gotten instead.
[close]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 11:21:03 AM by Pizzarugi »

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2024, 11:37:41 AM »

I only did pirate, Persean League, and Luddic Path crises (I avoided the others) and the trick to handling them is to prioritize defenses ASAP. Get yourself a star fortress and military HQ. Having defense fleets fight wandering raiders and crisis enemies helps whittle them down and could even provide assistance in fights you get into. Also, if necessary, camp by your star fortress at all times. Doing so means after each fight, you can make a quick stop to your colony for immediate repairs.

Each crisis has a way of averting the event. Persean League is simply joining them if you don't mind paying the 20% dues (but at least you won't be harassed by Hegemony AI inspections). Tri-Tachyon just needs you beating up on their merc raider fleets harassing your colonies (no reputation loss), destroying their trade ships, and raiding their colonies. Luddic Church is simply asking an official to put a stop to their migration. Luddic Path is providing them a PK. I think pirates needs Kanta's Protection which is bribing her with either a million credits or a planet item (ex. Combat Drone Replicator). You can't stop Hegemony AI inspections beyond simply not employing AI cores.

Now here's something I don't know and wonder if anyone has an answer to: Does averting the crisis in other ways give you the full benefit of whatever bonus offered as if you handled the event? Obviously there's exceptions like joining the Persean League (doing the crisis event and winning waives the 20% dues down to 5%), but would averting Tri-Tachyon's event give you the same accessibility benefits as if you did it?

i avoided curch crisis and could have averted pl but chose not to. tritach was the worst bc they get pissy just bc you produce stuff and at least from what i've seen the only way to make them go away is to just though it out or make your colony not worth having

also tritach is bad bc their merc fleets are indies from a faction perspective and only turn hostile once they engage one of your trade convoys

Pizzarugi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2024, 11:40:57 AM »

i avoided curch crisis and could have averted pl but chose not to. tritach was the worst bc they get pissy just bc you produce stuff and at least from what i've seen the only way to make them go away is to just though it out or make your colony not worth having

also tritach is bad bc their merc fleets are indies from a faction perspective and only turn hostile once they engage one of your trade convoys

You don't need to tough out Tri-Tachyon's merc fleet if you don't want to. There is a way of avoiding it. When you start generating progress towards their crisis, go to a Tri-Tach colony and contact an official to complain about them harassing your colonies. Someone will tell you how to make it stop.

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2024, 11:54:21 AM »

You don't need to tough out Tri-Tachyon's merc fleet if you don't want to. There is a way of avoiding it. When you start generating progress towards their crisis, go to a Tri-Tach colony and contact an official to complain about them harassing your colonies. Someone will tell you how to make it stop.
hm, really, i only got that event once i actually defeated their merc raid, which was a complete pain with their smodded mercs. and i did go to a tritach world and complain to one of them

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2024, 11:57:02 AM »

Spoiler
Thanks for the answer, but I feel that I need to clarify in particular with Tri-Tachyon's crisis. In this event, the crisis can be averted entirely by doing what Arroyo suggests: Destroying trade fleets and disrupting colony infrastructure. Doing so will have them put a bounty out for you, but persisting enough will force the faction to give up harassing you and stop generating progress towards the event.

Would averting the crisis in this way void whatever reward I would've gotten had I chosen to instead confront the mercenary crisis fleet? If yes, I may have to start a new game just to see what I would've gotten instead.
[close]
Spoiler
The reward for defeating/bribing the mercs is a bunch of progress towards the event you already did, so, no - you're good.
[close]

Phenir

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2024, 08:03:38 PM »

Fighting the merc fleets doesn't make the indies mad at all (even if it did, it'd probably be 5 rep hit at most just like the other "friendly" fleets in your system), even if you engage them before they turn hostile. TT crisis is probably the best one as you can solve it before hitting big crisis threshold (which means pirates will probably be the crisis instead which is also good), you can get a significant benefit from completing it, and it is relatively easy to finish as you don't have to do combat at all to get the best solution.