Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Converted Fighter Bays to be made usable for any carriers  (Read 324 times)

Sandor057

• Commander
    • View Profile
Converted Fighter Bays to be made usable for any carriers
« on: February 06, 2024, 09:03:52 AM »

Currently the hullnod can only be used for ships with fixed fighter bays, such as Shepherds or base Venture. However it would be rather welcome to be able to slap it on the occasional Gemini or Condor, so that they don't decrease the fighter skills' effectiveness once they have outlived their usefulness. Or possibly when I just want to use an Astral as a highly inefficient freighter :D.
Preferably removing the docking restriction for using it would also help in slapping on the hullmod on obsolete carriers while on the move.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Converted Fighter Bays to be made usable for any carriers
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 12:06:19 PM »

converted fighter bays serves to help achieve proper numbers with the specific leadership skills tied to the amount of carrier bays you have. Allowing you to use these ships for their logistical profile without having to worry about your warthogs being slower (yes, I use warthogs, please laugh). Not make giant 500 thousand credits expensive buffalo.

Plus, most carriers aren't really that obsolete. Even condor has a role tbh... The only one currently I would consider being kinda weird is the Drover... But I've not given it much of a chance tbh. Astral works with Trident spam (yes, please laugh again), heron is always useful as long as you get around its short peak operating time, and condors will always be a great way to reinforce your army with fighter support in the early to mid game, well, any phase of the game as long as you're not fighting against ultra nimble enemies. But even then I'm sure you can win with the right setup.

Mora itself is apparently really good, and it even works with safety overrides, something that carriers could be made to work around with, but usually lack OP to be so... Heron with heavy blaster would be funny (never mind, who cares).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 12:08:35 PM by Killer of Fate »

Zsar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 12:18:04 PM »

In favour.

It would be another necessary improvement, in addition to my request for Demilitarised Subsystems, to allow the player to Travel in Style(TM) on an Odyssey without compromising their fleet stats, if they want to avoid manual control.

Rusty Edge

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 12:55:33 PM »

Mora has a lore blurb that says they were converted to mobile drydocks for expeditions. This seems like it could be a really cool option if it was included in the game.

Sandor057

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2024, 04:17:18 PM »

Plus, most carriers aren't really that obsolete. Even condor has a role tbh... The only one currently I would consider being kinda weird is the Drover... But I've not given it much of a chance tbh.

Valid points there, though I did not mean that Condors, Moras or other carriers would be obsolete in general. They are very detrimental to your fleet composition however when you want your carrier skills to focus on other carriers' fighter bays.

As it is you can use the skill for Shepherds, Tempests and base Ventures. If you go all the way in the tech skill tree to use an Apex with this hullmod then Ludd forgive you, because I most certainly won't. Same goes for Tempests, maybe even more so (the built-in wings being the same, but more essential for them I believe). That leaves a grand total of two ships which are both applicable and a good candidate for the hullmod. In contrast, Converted Hangar can be added to anything bigger than a frigate and not already having fighter bays. No restrictions. Additionally you can add Converted Hangar while on the move, not needing a station to dock at. If either of them should require a dock to build in, it should be the other way around! At least per my understanding it would require way more effort to fit an "improvised flight deck", than to simply not use an existing flight deck and store stuff in it instead.

To look at it from a narrative perspective Condor carriers are basically "sawn-off" Tarsuses (Tarsi?), which are freighters. Moras, as mentioned, were demilitarized and used for "surveying, mining, construction, drone handling, and used as mobile drydocks". Gemini are cargo haulers with a fighter bay used originally for mining pods. It would make sense for these ships to be re-purposed again as freighters when needed by the ragtag polities of the Sector.

From a gameplay perspective, even the tooltip suggests that the hullmod was created with all carriers in mind: 20% crew reduction per removed fighter bay, maximum capped at 80% (4 bays). From the 4 ships you can use this hullmod on only the Apex has more than 1 bays, and it doesn't use crew space anyway. Furthermore, as fleet skills have a soft/flexible cap, it is important to be able to regulate the actual number of fighter bays you have, so that you get the most out of the skills you build up.

To sum up: my preferred version of the skill would work on all carriers, use the same bonuses it currently has and would not require a dock to build in.
Another idea would be to make it more the opposite of CH, decreasing the DP costs by 2 per Fighter bay removed, but that may be stretching it a bit too far. Alternatively that could be a separate militarized version of the hullmod.

Farya

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 02:41:27 AM »

Disassemble Reassemble mod had a hullmod like that and it was very fitting and useful for salvager runs. You found and made operational some carrier in your travels? Turn it into makeshift freighter, especially if it got hullmods which severely affect it's capacity as carrier. You can refit it for combat later as you return from the core. Having it require less of a likely limited during exploration crew is also a good bonus.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 05:37:04 AM »

As it is you can use the skill for Shepherds, Tempests and base Ventures. If you go all the way in the tech skill tree to use an Apex with this hullmod then Ludd forgive you, because I most certainly won't.
I actually piloted Apex in my current game because it was the among the first of Remnant ships that I recovered (others were Fulgent and Lumen), and I got Automated Ships so I can start recovering automated ships.  While it is not useless, it felt overpriced as a playership compared to Dominator or Champion even without a DP tax.  Its firepower without missiles is on the weak side, and it is a clumsy slow poke.  Definitely one that does not need a DP tax.  (Most automated ships are too weak or too balanced to need a DP tax.)  I did not put Converted Fighter Bay on Apex because Neural Integration ate up any spare OP I had on it.

Allowing you to use these ships for their logistical profile without having to worry about your warthogs being slower (yes, I use warthogs, please laugh).
Warthogs are good for battlecarriers that try to fight at the frontline.  (I build any carrier aside from Condor as battlecarriers, or try to.)  Also, Warthogs are durable, which makes them one of the few usable fighters (that do not drain replacement rate too fast) for those without carrier skills.

Converted Fighter Bay would be nice on warships that happen to have a bay or two built-in, and would use only Mining Pods because they do not need the bays.  Legion (especially the XIV variant) is one where one can focus on missiles and guns and totally ignore fighters.  Actually, it would be nice if Odyssey got Vast Hangar like Invictus and got more OP to pay for Converted Hangar.

Rusty Edge

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 10:17:03 AM »

Actually, it would be nice if Odyssey got Vast Hangar like Invictus and got more OP to pay for Converted Hangar.
That would be an excellent change. Since the Odyssey is a short of exploration/combat kit capitol, being able to alter it's function more drastically works lore wise.