Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Painting  (Read 7393 times)

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Re: Painting
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 11:07:57 AM »

...and doing an additional sprite layer for every single ship would be a bit of a pain. We handle friend vs foe identification through symbolic overlays now, as y'all of course know.
I don't really see why it would be that much of a pain. Sure, it would take a little time to paint up the alpha channels on the sprites, but assuming you leave out fighters (where color changes wouldn't be very noticeable), you'd only have about 35 ships to edit. And as for friend vs foe identification, I figure that this customization option would really only be used by the player, and maybe minor factions. It would be purely visual fluff, not something used to determine who your enemy is.

Not saying you should spend time on it though--honestly I really don't care either way. But this would probably be the easiest to implement of all ship customization suggestions I've seen so far, as badges/flags/decals would require you to make room for them on each sprite, as well as ship names.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:09:55 AM by Psiyon »

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 11:33:18 AM »

...and doing an additional sprite layer for every single ship would be a bit of a pain. We handle friend vs foe identification through symbolic overlays now, as y'all of course know.
Surely the ships have IFF transponders...
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 07:46:20 AM »

Isn't it easier to just have an customly made badge on the ships? That seems a lot easier to me than making a completely new paint layer.

I agree with that suggestion. Maybe some sort of badge designer when you create a character (choose from presets, make your own pattern, choose a color, etc.) the Pirates, Hegemony and Tri-Tach only have simple ones, to save some time on the Dev's part.
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 08:06:37 AM »

Isn't it easier to just have an customly made badge on the ships? That seems a lot easier to me than making a completely new paint layer.

I agree with that suggestion. Maybe some sort of badge designer when you create a character (choose from presets, make your own pattern, choose a color, etc.) the Pirates, Hegemony and Tri-Tach only have simple ones, to save some time on the Dev's part.

Please do not respond to very old threads unless you have something very substantial to add. This topic was brought up just three days ago here (I assume that's where you found the link), that is a perfectly fine place to discuss this. 

Locked.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
Pages: 1 [2]