Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Neutrino detector needs a rework or outright removal  (Read 2936 times)

Arghy

• Captain
    • View Profile
Neutrino detector needs a rework or outright removal
« on: January 26, 2024, 01:05:56 PM »

I'm doing the academy mission to find the derelict ship 'some distance' from the center of the system and this will either be moved to the bug forum or be updated with some pictures showing the complete failure of the neutrino detector. I'm a veteran i know how to do these missions, i save then do an exhaustive, expensive search then reload and fly to the location. I've now spent over 40 minutes and 3 reloads trying to find this damn thing and i've resorted to literal grid searching.

The detector is a part of the problem, sustained burn and the pulses make it completely untenable. Even with speeding up time i have to do my sensor pulse, wait for sustained burn to come up then hit it again. Missions like this are literally the entire reason the neutrino detector exists and it's failing utterly. First neutrino detector should literally do a scan of the entire system then generate 'anomalies' that stay up after the pulse ends. There is no reason to punish the player by having them disappear and force you to repeat the process all over again--this is a QoL issue.

There should be a separate skill that combines sustained burn and sensor pulse into the same button. If i want to do an insane grid square search then i shouldn't have to constantly toggle skills, 1 skill that i toggle on once that keeps me sustained burning and does a sensor pulse once it comes off of cool down.

Balance will of course need to be looked at such as making the new 'sustained search' less efficient or requiring the new system wide search to make you immobile during the entire thing while letting everything in the system see your location. I'd even accept a unique orbital construction or a fleet deployable as a cost for the system wide search. You cannot have these huge maps with no realistic way to search them beyond wasting real hours of the player. Once you have a way to search the entire system that's not punishing then you can actually start hiding things in the corners of maps.

**Grid searched the entire system, either it didn't spawn or its spawned so far off the map that i can't search for it unless i drew on my monitor. Either way if neutrino detector was functional i should have discovered this hours ago.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 01:29:58 PM by Arghy »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Neutrino detector needs a rework or outright removal
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 01:33:17 PM »

If you have Console Commands, you can turn on devMode and then press Ctrl-Z to turn off sensors, the ship should show up on the map. I'd like to see where it spawned, if you don't mind!

(You could also turn on devMode by editing data/config/settings.json, but I'd recommend turning it off afterwards because it can and will mess up a bunch of things in a normal playthrough if left on for a long time.)

MuleDriver

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 01:38:46 PM »

• The neutrino detector does not emit sensor pulses -  it's a passive sensor.
  • Despite this, it does make you more visible while it is running. Presumably the receiver is emitting reradiation or something.
  • Use Neutrino Detector Mk.II to alleviate your problem somewhat. Maybe combine with Objects Analysis 002.
  • Yes, the opportunity costs are way to high: Using the detector takes way too much time in-game and for the player.

eert5rty7u8i9i7u6yrewqdef

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 01:57:25 PM »

I'm doing the academy mission to find the derelict ship 'some distance' from the center of the system and this will either be moved to the bug forum or be updated with some pictures showing the complete failure of the neutrino detector. I'm a veteran i know how to do these missions, i save then do an exhaustive, expensive search then reload and fly to the location. I've now spent over 40 minutes and 3 reloads trying to find this damn thing and i've resorted to literal grid searching.

The detector is a part of the problem, sustained burn and the pulses make it completely untenable. Even with speeding up time i have to do my sensor pulse, wait for sustained burn to come up then hit it again. Missions like this are literally the entire reason the neutrino detector exists and it's failing utterly. First neutrino detector should literally do a scan of the entire system then generate 'anomalies' that stay up after the pulse ends. There is no reason to punish the player by having them disappear and force you to repeat the process all over again--this is a QoL issue.

There should be a separate skill that combines sustained burn and sensor pulse into the same button. If i want to do an insane grid square search then i shouldn't have to constantly toggle skills, 1 skill that i toggle on once that keeps me sustained burning and does a sensor pulse once it comes off of cool down.

Balance will of course need to be looked at such as making the new 'sustained search' less efficient or requiring the new system wide search to make you immobile during the entire thing while letting everything in the system see your location. I'd even accept a unique orbital construction or a fleet deployable as a cost for the system wide search. You cannot have these huge maps with no realistic way to search them beyond wasting real hours of the player. Once you have a way to search the entire system that's not punishing then you can actually start hiding things in the corners of maps.

**Grid searched the entire system, either it didn't spawn or its spawned so far off the map that i can't search for it unless i drew on my monitor. Either way if neutrino detector was functional i should have discovered this hours ago.
Are you sure you're in the right system? ND is pretty reliable as real pings move based on how the player has moved and false pings remain static.
I'm asking because I've ended up looking in the wrong system before, and apperently it didn't spawn in the system you're searching.

Arghy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 02:03:19 PM »

Beware, madness lies within:

To be fair, the quest stated, A GREAT DISTANCE of course i wouldn't think right next to the damn jump point hahahaha--it did not show up at all on the ND even right next to it though.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 02:13:03 PM by Arghy »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 02:17:56 PM »

Huh. That is... far from the worst I've seen.

(The worst, for reference, is when it's a binary star system with, say, four planets and a gas giant orbiting the primary - and then the mission target turns out to be out somewhere in the dark, somewhere within the second star's orbit...)

That said: I unapologetically use the Neutrino Detector Mk. II mod. Because finding things can (not always is, but can) be quite difficult even without the false positives - and because filtering the false positives out of the data 'should' be utterly trivial given even just paper and a protractor, nevermind applying exotic computational techniques like (gasp!) spreadsheet programs. I've got outright AI cores in my cargo; I shouldn't have any trouble with basic records-keeping and signal processing.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2024, 02:22:28 PM »

While false readings do not move, I cannot tell if it is really not moving unless I travel more than a screen worth of distance to make sure it is false instead of a distant object whose signal does move but moves so slowly that it could be mistaken for a false signal if I do not more than screen to confirm it.  I have wasted so much time - and supplies and volatiles - chasing signals that usually wind up false, while the exceptions were those slow-moving needles, and most of those were celestial objects already shown on the map, not buried treasure!  In any event, I waste too much time.  It would be nice if false signals were done away with.  Neutrino Detector is such an annoying pain to use.

I have given up on Neutrino Detector.  I almost never use it anymore except maybe as a last resort if sensor burst/ping spam does not find whatever I am looking for first.

That said: I unapologetically use the Neutrino Detector Mk. II mod. Because finding things can (not always is, but can) be quite difficult even without the false positives - and because filtering the false positives out of the data 'should' be utterly trivial given even just paper and a protractor, nevermind applying exotic computational techniques like (gasp!) spreadsheet programs. I've got outright AI cores in my cargo; I shouldn't have any trouble with basic records-keeping and signal processing.
Filtering false positives with stock Neutrino Detector is too hard.  Definitely not trivial for me even though I know the tips on how it works.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 02:30:57 PM by Megas »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2024, 02:24:16 PM »

Yup, I don't use it either. Just too painful.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2024, 02:37:14 PM »

Filtering false positives with stock Neutrino Detector is too hard.  Definitely not trivial for me even though I know the tips on how it works.
Oh yes, agreed - that's why I put 'should' in quotes.

But from an in-character point of view? Record location, record exact heading of signal, chart the lines on an actual physical map - you'd barely need to move at all to start filtering out the false positives, and you could just cross-check against previous records to instantly tell if a given blip was in the exact same direction or not.*

If you wanted false positives that made sense, they'd need to be things like, oh, derelict kites, or reserves of rare ore in an asteroid, or intrusive hyperspace sensor ghosts - actual things on the map that you could track down and then filter out.

*Though, technically, at intrastellar ranges you'd get some parallax even on signals from other star-systems. Still, if you had the actual numbers written down, that wouldn't really make things that much more complicated.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Siffrin

• Captain
  • Thermal Signature Detected
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2024, 03:07:49 PM »

What sucks is that there are missions that tell you the general location of the entity like "Near a gas giant" but its those times when it doesn't tell you anything and you jump into one of those massive systems around a blue supergiant that I just give up and open LunaLibs entity finder.
Gods most reckless Odyssey captain.

Arghy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2024, 03:15:55 PM »

I'd love for more spread out loot if i had a way to find it--give me a high lighted search area where the sensors think theres an item but also give me a way to narrow those down for a cost for when i don't want to bother spending an hour searching for it. Hell it'd be a fun spawnable event where my planet/system bound sensors found a suspicious signal and now there's a mass in hyper space i can jump into to investigate.

Oh hey you found a rogue planet thats nothing but a giant shipyard for [REDACTED], have fun with it and maybe use all those marines you've been hoarding....

Tranquility

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2024, 03:29:27 PM »

The best use I found for the Neutrino Detector is not actually finding the locations of things. It's for telling you where not to look and go to in a star system. You can pop the Detector for about 1 second, and if there's any general direction that lacks a neutrino trace, you can practically ignore that side of the star system if you're looking for valuables. At best, it basically eliminates half the search space needed to fully scour the system, saving you a lot of time if you then start doing the usual Sensor Burst scanning. At worst, you just have to keep the Detector up for a while to verify false positives, which isn't that hard to do -- nor is it much of an opportunity cost -- because you keep both your Sustained Burn speed and your current sensor range (unlike with the Sensor Burst, which causes you to halt and reactivate Sustained Burn again, and, from my experience, the range at which sensor pings can occur in your minimap is actually capped, so the massive sensor range increase isn't really as impressive as it seems). Yes, you do need to keep some Volatiles in your inventory to maintain the Detector, and it does increase your sensor profile by 50% while activated, but I didn't find these downsides to really matter at all in most cases, especially when a Sensor Burst slows you down a lot and makes you a massive "Go Here" beacon for nearby scavengers/[REDACTED].

Exploration is usually my go-to mode for the early- and mid-game to find good colony locations, special items, and blueprints, and so, whenever I have Volatiles, I use the Neutrino Detector while traveling between each unsurveyed planets to check for extra goodies along the way. I also do use Sensor burst frequently too, but mostly if I'm near a planet, star, stable location, or jump point, as a lot of objects like Domain Probes and Caches are found around these points of interests, and the speed penalty won't matter as much if, for example, interacting with and surverying a planet tends to reset the Sustained Burn speed (in a similar vein, you can use a Sensor Burst right before or while jumping into a star system to keep the sensor range increase as soon as you enter, saving a bit of time compared to using the Burst after entering and remaining stopped in place).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 03:32:00 PM by Tranquility »

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2024, 03:44:00 PM »

Imo, the biggest problem with the Neutrino Detector is just how variable it can be.
Sometimes you can turn it on and within a few seconds see exactly where you need to go to find something.
Other times you can burn through an entire stack of volatiles (and time) and it's utterly inscrutable because the signals are either buried in an ocean of noise, and/or just so small that they are indistinct from the ring.

Maybe if there were some underlying "mechanism" to refine the output over time it would be less frustrating?
Perhaps it starts off as it is now, and after a set (cumulative) time of operation it can start to filter out the false positives, and then eventually highlight actual returns.
Kind of like a sonar/radar operator analysing and refining the input data to get a better "picture".

Void Ganymede

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2024, 04:05:05 PM »

Does anyone actually feel comfortable interpreting its results?

I know some of the birdies are supposed to be from nearby neutron stars, and the planet ones make sense, but I've never gotten comfortable with it to the point of separating noise from signal.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2024, 04:06:56 PM »

Other times you can burn through an entire stack of volatiles (and time) and it's utterly inscrutable because the signals are either buried in an ocean of noise, and/or just so small that they are indistinct from the ring.
That is another thing, too hard to see faint signals for distant objects among the ring.  It does not matter if the needle moves if it is nearly invisible among the ring.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4